SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
maitai_1
maitai_1 is on a distinguished road

Default Oil pressure light on

So just did a normal oil/filter change, Like i allways do. Oil level is good. But the oil pressure light wont go out and the valves sound like there not getting much oil taping more then normal...I've never seen a pressure switch just die or is this common...any help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maitai_1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maitai_1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maitai_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Oil pressure light on

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitai_1 View Post
So just did a normal oil/filter change, Like i allways do. Oil level is good. But the oil pressure light wont go out and the valves sound like there not getting much oil taping more then normal...I've never seen a pressure switch just die or is this common...any help
Did you knock the wire out when you changed the filter?

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #3
maitai_1

Doesn't look like it I checked. I'll try Disconnecting the wire from the sensor and reconnecting it. I might also just try replacing the sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help maitai_1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

If the engine is making noise it's NOT a switch issue. The switch does not control oil flow or pressure only reports the absence of it.

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #5
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

If there is any doubt about engine oil pressure, immediately connect a temporary independent gauge to find out what pressure really is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #6
maitai_1

That's also something ill be doing thanks for the help..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #7
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

What year is your car?

Did you do a Compression Check across the Cylinders, which I think is what billr is referring to.

Compression across all 4 cylinders should be at a baseline of 185 PSI.

If you don't have a Compression Tester- Harbor Freight makes a decent tester for about $15-$20.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #8
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

What brand filter did you use. Fram and other cheap filters have been known to internally collapse cutting off oil flow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #9
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsaturn View Post
What brand filter did you use. Fram and other cheap filters have been known to internally collapse cutting off oil flow.
“Known” as it it actually happened with Fram? Do you have a reference or link to that?

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #10
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitai_1 View Post
What is the year, and mileage of this engine?

The oil pressure light comes on, when there is LESS than 6psi of detected oil pressure.

The cylinder head gets the least amount of oil flow. Tapping lifters, that are "more than normal" is indicative of a lack of sufficient oil flow into the head.

These are symptoms of low oil pressure, and either your oil flow has been cut off by a collapsed filter as suggested by a previous poster, OR the oil pump has bit the dust and you are going to hear about that via a snapped connecting rod flying outside the engine block very soon.

Forget a compression test. Buy an oil pressure test gauge, pull the sensor for the oil pressure, hook up the gauge and run the engine to verify what your cold/warm engine oil pressure actually is.

Anything under 20psi, when warm and at idle is likely to be too low and indicative that the oil pump and timing cover are due to be replaced.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #11
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
“Known” as it it actually happened with Fram? Do you have a reference or link to that?

-Robert
Here is one instance and if you google fram oil filter problems you will find pages of the same reviews. Fram supposedly fixed the problem but for my own piece of mind I will spend the extra $8 bucks on a Wix. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...e-fram-filters

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #12
Waiex191
Advanced Member
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I've used the cheap Fram filters for nearly 20 years. The motor looked good at overhaul. Good thing my engine isn't reading this stuff on the internet!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #13
Dsaturn

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
I've used the cheap Fram filters for nearly 20 years. The motor looked good at overhaul. Good thing my engine isn't reading this stuff on the internet!
Many of the complaints come from ASE mechanics that seen engines fail because of a Fram filters, It is not just "internet talk" But if you want to ignore a known problem then use what you want, It aint no skin off my teeth. I was just giving a suggestion of why the OP may have poor oil flow after an oil change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-09-2018, 10:25 PM   #14
maitai_1

The old one was a fram filter and put a new wix filter on I had laying around but thought many it could be bad so I put another new one on...I'll keep you posted when I can check the sensor / oil pressure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #15
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsaturn View Post
Many of the complaints come from ASE mechanics that seen engines fail because of a Fram filters, It is not just "internet talk" But if you want to ignore a known problem then use what you want, It aint no skin off my teeth. I was just giving a suggestion of why the OP may have poor oil flow after an oil change.
I can concur, that FRAM filters MAY cause engine oil system failure issues. I got a "Double Whammy", from getting an oil change done by Wal-Mart many years back.

I had a nasty winter, up here in NE Ohio, and took my 1984 Pontiac Fiero in for its 3,000-mile OCI. The service tech installed a FRAM ExtraGard and it was for a Dodge Neon 2.0L engine, instead of my 2.5L Iron Duke Pontiac engine. The filter was physically about the size of our stock Saturn 1.9L filters.

After that oil change, I noticed blue smoke and symptoms of worn valve seals/guides. Never went to Wal-Mart again, and never used another FRAM Extragard filter.

I use Wix, or MicroGard(O'REILLY house brand, which is manufactured by Wix and shares similar part #'s with the Wix filter of the same fitment.)

Made the mistake of NOT using a Wix transmission filter, on my 1992 Camaro 700-r4 transmission. Within 6,000 miles, I had metal shavings on my dipstick, despite reinstalling the pan magnet to collect the metal shavings.

This is why my previous post has stated that the filter OR the oil pump can be suspect to the symptoms our original poster is experiencing.

I don't put much stock in "ASE-Certified", but I do put stock in personal experiences.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #16
maitai_1

Ok so I started the car to move into the garage and the light went out..still going to check oil psi. What is it should the psi be at idle..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #17
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

According to my Haynes manual, at normal operating temperature, there should only be 13psi at idle.

Cold, at 2,000rpm: 80psi
Warm, at 2,000rpm: 36psi

Hopefully, somebody will chime in with the factory specifications or OldNuc will jump in and clarify.

13psi seems low, to me, as I have not really seen an engine ever run under 20psi at warm idle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #18
maitai_1

Thanks for All of the help but my oil pressures are within specs and everything's working grate now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!