SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2018, 09:14 PM   #1
3500srw
3500srw is on a distinguished road

1999 SL
Default Vin cut key problem

I've been having ignition cylinder issues so i decided to try a vin cut key first. It doesn't look like the old key. It won't open the trunk, pass door, or work in the ignition at all. It does open the drivers door though! The old key opens all doors and trunk easily. Looking at the old key I'm surprised it works as worn down as it is.
I have removed the lock cylinder 3 times cleaning it out and spraying dry graphite in it. I got a bunch tiny metal filings out the first time. It moves freely but the old key has to be messed with a little to turn the ignition on.

If it opened all the doors and trunk i'd be happy. I would just get a unkeyed lock cylinder....now what?

1999 Saturn SL SOHC, 5 speed, 238000 miles....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3500srw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3500srw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3500srw is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2018, 11:33 PM   #2
38TransAM
38TransAM has a spectacular aura about38TransAM has a spectacular aura about38TransAM has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL2
1999 SL2
Default Re: Vin cut key problem

Anyone decent should be able to make you a new key from the worn key unless it is flat on both sides......

Try an actual locksmith who knows how to cut a key vs. going to Walmart.

Lock cylinders could have been changed out on the car as well. I did a ton of them when I was a technician.

Saturn OEM GM reman. engine NO LONGER AVAILABLE (SOLD OUT)
96 SL2 still kicking at 182k (now with updated mileage)
99 HCE 63k Now at 97k and new GM Reman engine due to road debris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 38TransAM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 38TransAM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
38TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:35 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You have a problem. You will have to read the old key and the new key and see what the difference is and go from there, a lock cylinder is not going to solve this issue. It is moderately possible the vin cut key is incorrect.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #4
Telyx
Telyx is on a distinguished road

2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3500srw View Post
I've been having ignition cylinder issues so i decided to try a vin cut key first. It doesn't look like the old key. It won't open the trunk, pass door, or work in the ignition at all. It does open the drivers door though! The old key opens all doors and trunk easily. Looking at the old key I'm surprised it works as worn down as it is.
I have removed the lock cylinder 3 times cleaning it out and spraying dry graphite in it. I got a bunch tiny metal filings out the first time. It moves freely but the old key has to be messed with a little to turn the ignition on.

If it opened all the doors and trunk i'd be happy. I would just get a unkeyed lock cylinder....now what?
Try filing or sanding about 1/8" off the tip of the key. I had to do that with my last VIN-cut key--had the same problem as you and this cured it. I think dealerships' key blanks are a little too long.

RIP my 2002 SL1, totaled 9/18/2012... found its replacement (2002 SL) 9/26/12, traded it in 5/10/2018 (199,604 miles).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Telyx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Telyx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Telyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

Any cut key is a gamble - you have to check it once cut and there's a good chance it was cut sloppily. I've seen the dude at Home depot not even obey the (1) (2) (3) step-by-step graphics on the key cutting machine and screw up the cut. (hey went back to step (2) after doing step (3) and jiggled the key to be certain it was seated and that ruined the cut). Always have the car there and have them promise to try again and or give you your money back if the key doesn't work.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:26 PM   #6
3500srw
3500srw is on a distinguished road

1999 SL

Visited the actual locksmith in town today. I told him my situation and the key code he looked at my old and new keys. He punched my info in his computer grabbed a blank key and setup his machine and cut me a new key. I tried it in the trunk and doors it worked perfect. I cycled it in the ignition and removed the key and my ding ding with the drivers door opened key out quit dinging! Finally, I've been living with that annoying ding for months. I replaced the ignition switch last weekend with an acdelco one and it didn't change anything. Finally the car works as it should (at least this issue). Thank guys.

1999 Saturn SL SOHC, 5 speed, 238000 miles....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3500srw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3500srw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3500srw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #7
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3500srw View Post
Visited the actual locksmith in town today. I told him my situation and the key code he looked at my old and new keys. He punched my info in his computer grabbed a blank key and setup his machine and cut me a new key. I tried it in the trunk and doors it worked perfect. I cycled it in the ignition and removed the key and my ding ding with the drivers door opened key out quit dinging! Finally, I've been living with that annoying ding for months. I replaced the ignition switch last weekend with an acdelco one and it didn't change anything. Finally the car works as it should (at least this issue). Thank guys.
This is the thing... find a true locksmith, not a hardware store.... I pay like 2.70 at my locksmith for keys, and it's at the point I don't even test them anymore.... This is how much I trust them *and if I ever had an issue they would stand behind it* I'm surprised that your VIN cut key didn't work fine....

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote