SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
cpy911
cpy911 has a spectacular aura aboutcpy911 has a spectacular aura aboutcpy911 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
Default Manual Fan cooling switch mod burned up today!

I wired up a switch to turn my radiator cooling fan on and off using the fuse box. I have been running like this for a year now. Today, something shorted and I got some nice smoke...scared me pretty good. What could have caused this? I don't know yet the extent of the damage...I hope the fuse box is ok...but the relay may now be bad?

I plan to wire it up again...but put a fuse in my circuit....my guess is wires got loose?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2720.jpg (150.8 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by cpy911; 01-22-2018 at 05:54 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cpy911's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cpy911 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cpy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
Simon Rose
Simon Rose is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default Re: Manual Fan cooling switch mod burned up today!

Hard to say without knowing the circuit. Could you do a sloppy MS paint diagram or explain it? Hope it works out! I've though about doing this same mo before but the ECU seems to keep it in check okay.

2002 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Simon Rose's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Simon Rose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Simon Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:33 PM   #3
MrPartyWaffle
MrPartyWaffle is on a distinguished road

If you want to see if the relay has gone bad, either engage the air conditioning or unplug the engine coolant temperature sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrPartyWaffle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrPartyWaffle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrPartyWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:42 PM   #4
cpy911
cpy911 has a spectacular aura aboutcpy911 has a spectacular aura aboutcpy911 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2

I showed one of my students (I'm a humble teacher) who is a car guy.
Said my wires were too thin and my switch was bad.
Going to wire up directly to the battery now and add in a relay and fuse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cpy911's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cpy911 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cpy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:37 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Wha....why...
If you're going to tap into the load side of the relay your entire new run HAS to be able to hold the 30+ amp load of the radiator fan. Looks like you failed to realize this and lucked out only burning up the wire and not the whole car.

Tap into the switching side of the relay and use a diode to keep the "on" signal from getting back to the PCM. All problems solved and you can use 20ga wire without issue.

Others have posted good luck with jumping the A/C high pressure switch, which turns the A/C button into a radiator fan on/off button (above 45f).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #6
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

What is this “diode” you speak of and where exactly should it be placed?

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:52 PM   #7
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

Not my own words, but "In electronics, a diode is a two-terminal electronic component that conducts primarily in one direction (asymmetric conductance); it has low (ideally zero) resistance to the flow of current in one direction, and high (ideally infinite) resistance in the other".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #8
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

Not my own words, but "In electronics, a diode is a two-terminal electronic component that conducts primarily in one direction (asymmetric conductance); it has low (ideally zero) resistance to the flow of current in one direction, and high (ideally infinite) resistance in the other".

It provides a block and permits voltage from going back. Used also in Photovoltaic DV solar cells, to prevent stored electricity from 'bleeding back' when the sun goes down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:58 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
What is this “diode” you speak of and where exactly should it be placed?
IN a DC circuit across the switch contacts, or if switching a coil or other inductive load across the load.

FYI "across" = in parallel with and reversed biased with power applied from the circuit source.

That UGJB that is now fried should be replaced and the ECTS circuit and/or fan circuit repaired so AUTO is running the fan. Best guess is the UHJB was already failed before the relay fried.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:42 AM   #10
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Post Re: Manual Fan cooling switch mod burned up today!

Quote:
I showed one of my students (I'm a humble teacher) who is a car guy.
Said my wires were too thin and my switch was bad.
Yes, on the load side the wiring should be 10 gauge or even thicker and you would need a robust switch or secondary relay (30 amps capacity).

My DIY automatic/auxiliary fan controller is still working perfectly after all these years (I posted a full write up about it long ago).
I have had no problems whatsoever with it and never have to worry about the engine temperature.

There are other ways to accomplish the same goal though as fetchitfido said.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote