SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
kaylan87
kaylan87 is on a distinguished road

Default Side Door Belt Molding/Trim...Fix vs Replacement

So like a lot of ION owners, the belt molding on my doors has started to warp some. It looks just like the following picture:

https://imgur.com/a/KSlqX

I looked up the parts for replacing these, and the minimum is 50 to 60$ each!. Thats expensive for a simple door trim. That would cost over 200$ easy.

So I found a thread here and was wondering if anyone else has simply removed belt molding/trim, cut off the vinyl, spray painted the trim to rubberized coating and then placed it back on their doors.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho....php?p=2071937

Seems like a quick and easy fix. 200 bucks seems like a tough ask to get 4 new small parts, when Ive gone to a junk yard in the past and gotten a few bigger Ion parts for that much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaylan87's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaylan87 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaylan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #2
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Side Door Belt Molding/Trim...Fix vs Replacement

Yes I used Plasti dip but it only lasted about 4 years here in the mid west. If you use Plasti dip purchase the Plasti dip U/V protectant and apply a couple coats over the black Plasti dip. I removed all of my belt moulding and took a razor blade and trimmed all the rubber crap off ao all I had was the aluminum and the seal that goes up against the galss. Just put them on a scrap card board box and spray 4 to 5 coats then apply a couple coats of U/V protectant and I will promise it will last twice as long. One can of Plast dip worked for me and no one can tell the difference. Tip handle the thin aluminum belt moldings with care as they are very fragile and bend really easily when taking them off. Do not force them back on or tweak them out of shape.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote