SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2018, 10:33 PM   #1
jlangille
jlangille is on a distinguished road

Default EGR valve issues

Hello all,
Hoping someone can give me some guidance. I have a 2002 SL1 that I recently bought to commute back and forth to work. I have the P1405 code (EGR sensor "A" circuit low) which comes on pretty well on vehicle start after clearing it. and P1404 often comes on later on. I've removed the EGR valve and cleaned it, however the P1404 came right back on afterwards. Going through the service records I see that the EGR valve was replaced in 2013 and again in 2015... Is this a common issue in these cars, should I replace it or could there be something else going on that is causing the recurrent EGR valve problems?

Also of note, when I removed the EGR valve there was some fluid inside.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by jlangille; 01-21-2018 at 10:38 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jlangille's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jlangille reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jlangille is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2018, 11:17 PM   #2
gerald.jones77
gerald.jones77 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Re: EGR valve issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlangille View Post
Hello all,
Hoping someone can give me some guidance. I have a 2002 SL1 that I recently bought to commute back and forth to work. I have the P1405 code (EGR sensor "A" circuit low) which comes on pretty well on vehicle start after clearing it. and P1404 often comes on later on. I've removed the EGR valve and cleaned it, however the P1404 came right back on afterwards. Going through the service records I see that the EGR valve was replaced in 2013 and again in 2015... Is this a common issue in these cars, should I replace it or could there be something else going on that is causing the recurrent EGR valve problems?

Also of note, when I removed the EGR valve there was some fluid inside.

Thanks in advance for any help!
i had a saturn that I never could get rid of the egr code, it wasn't the egr itself it was the passages in the engine that i couldn't get to. I finally tore the engine half apart, couldn't really get it back together properly, i sold it to a mechanic for 40 bucks, he got it running in about an hour and drove it off. it was a pain in the ass code which i couldn't pass emissions with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gerald.jones77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gerald.jones77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gerald.jones77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:15 AM   #3
jstutz101
jstutz101 is on a distinguished road

The last time I had EGR issues the valve was dirty but OK. My issues was the passage from the valve to the intake. It was completely gummed up. I got a piece of speedometer cable and shoved it in the channel and cleaned out the intake. There was some nasty stuff in there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jstutz101's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jstutz101 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jstutz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:49 PM   #4
jlangille
jlangille is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I'll try to clean out the passage. I'm showing both codes currently. P0404 and P0405.

Last edited by jlangille; 01-22-2018 at 10:01 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jlangille's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jlangille reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jlangille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:26 PM   #5
Hackettbr1
Hackettbr1 has a spectacular aura aboutHackettbr1 has a spectacular aura aboutHackettbr1 has a spectacular aura about

I havent had p1404, but i have had p0401. Insufficient air flow to the EGR, What i had to do was use an old speedometer cable and a drill, running it down through the intake and exhaust lines of the EGR. If you do attempt this be careful, it can come unwound and you would have to dismantle a good chunk of the engine to get it back out.

Video example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_eSvvuQm1E
Richpin also has a video on showing how far and which way you need to go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ_TkgjIW8U

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hackettbr1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hackettbr1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hackettbr1 is offline   Reply With Quote