SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2018, 06:55 AM   #1
dmayorgap
dmayorgap has a spectacular aura aboutdmayorgap has a spectacular aura aboutdmayorgap has a spectacular aura about

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Engine compartment cleaning

Hi!, its ok to clean the engine compartment with a home water hose? should i take some precautions?

Thanks

David M.
-----------
Chevrolet Captiva Sport AWD V6 3.6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmayorgap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmayorgap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmayorgap is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2018, 04:18 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Engine compartment cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmayorgap View Post
Hi!, its ok to clean the engine compartment with a home water hose?
There are always risks whenever water is introduced into the engine compartment, that's unavoidable. Potential problems can be minimized when precautions are taken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmayorgap View Post
should i take some precautions?
Oh, yes! You must protect electrical connections from possible contact with water. Moisture inside of connectors can result in unusual issues arising which may impair engine and charging system performance by corrupting electrical power flow within various circuits. Additionally, false readings could be sent to the ECM and result in unnecessary check engine warnings and/or wrench light warnings. Be careful.

A general precaution with regard to the body would be to cover any painted surface near the area being cleaned - fenders, bumper, and perhaps the windshield. Dirty water over-spray bouncing off of surfaces within the engine compartment may contain some corrosive chemical elements within it which should not make contact with a painted surface.

If you go through with this, let us know how things turn out.

286,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
dmayorgap
dmayorgap has a spectacular aura aboutdmayorgap has a spectacular aura aboutdmayorgap has a spectacular aura about

2008 VUE 3.6L

Hi! thanks for your answer, besides the precautions should i take to clean the engine compartment, is it recommended to do it? or is not necessary?

Thanks

David M.
-----------
Chevrolet Captiva Sport AWD V6 3.6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmayorgap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmayorgap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmayorgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

[/QUOTE]You won't find this as a recommended service by the OEM. However, it is known that caked on greasy dirt acts as a form of insulation meaning that the engine operates at a warmer than it should otherwise. So is it wrong, or bad, to do an engine compartment cleaning? No. It's a matter of doing the cleaning well and carefully.

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #5
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Just get a can of Gunk and go to the self service car wash. Spray down the engine bay with maybe a quarter of the can depending on much dirt and grease there is. Wait a few minutes and then using the high pressure wand, go at it but obviously don't spray directly into any electrical connectors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

That's a great picture, atikovi! Am I wrong in assuming that the car there is yours?

If you look at the location of the OP, that person is in Ecuador. I have no idea what the likelihood is of finding a self-service car wash in that country, however, I would expect it to be low.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #7
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Sold that one a few months ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote