SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #1
WrightMan
WrightMan is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Missing Sway Bar

So when I bought this car a few months ago the front sway bar link was broken which I replaced and I was checking out my exhaust and noticed the rear sway bar is not there. I am fairly certain I have the level 2 given the sunroof, CD Changer, and other items but the gauges are not white like the 3. Given what I have seen on here it should have a rear sway bar right? I am planning on getting either the ST or maybe a ZZP bar any thoughts on just doing the rear?
Thanks!

2004 Saturn Ion 2 Black Trim Headlights, Bluetooth Fogs, and Smoked Taillights
2004 Crown Vic Mostly Modified
2000 F150 Off-Road Mostly Stock
2013 Escape 2.0T AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WrightMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WrightMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WrightMan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2018, 03:00 AM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Missing Sway Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightMan View Post
So when I bought this car a few months ago the front sway bar link was broken which I replaced and I was checking out my exhaust and noticed the rear sway bar is not there. I am fairly certain I have the level 2 given the sunroof, CD Changer, and other items but the gauges are not white like the 3. Given what I have seen on here it should have a rear sway bar right? I am planning on getting either the ST or maybe a ZZP bar any thoughts on just doing the rear?
Thanks!
A rear sway bar was not factory-installed on any of the Delta platform cars (Ion, Cobalt, G5) including the high performance Ion Red Line/Cobalt SS models. These cars have a torsion beam rear suspension so the rear end is already fairly solid. I wouldn't think that adding a rear sway bar would help much, but the folks on the Cobalt forums highly recommend installing one for better handling.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 178K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 185K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
WrightMan

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I thought they all came with atleast something but I think this car really needs one if for any other reason to put less stress on the front sway bar which could be partly why those keep breaking. Based on what I have read about the 04 having a different rear bar set up then later models it looks like this is the only bar that will fit and the holes all will have to be drilled out. The installation instructions does have pictures showing how to install it but the fitment shows it would also fit Ion's up to 2007 which I thought were different. I just can't stand the fact that this little car has so much more body roll then my Crown Vic which weighs over 1,000 lbs more or our Escape which is a compact AWD SUV. My next step after this bar will be to replace the shocks and struts with some new KYB ones which looks like a fan favorite.
Thanks!

2013 Escape 2.0T AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help WrightMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2018, 02:33 AM   #4
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightMan View Post
I thought they all came with atleast something but I think this car really needs one if for any other reason to put less stress on the front sway bar which could be partly why those keep breaking. Based on what I have read about the 04 having a different rear bar set up then later models it looks like this is the only bar that will fit and the holes all will have to be drilled out. The installation instructions does have pictures showing how to install it but the fitment shows it would also fit Ion's up to 2007 which I thought were different. I just can't stand the fact that this little car has so much more body roll then my Crown Vic which weighs over 1,000 lbs more or our Escape which is a compact AWD SUV. My next step after this bar will be to replace the shocks and struts with some new KYB ones which looks like a fan favorite.
Thanks!
I would highly recommend replacing your shocks and struts first. The stiffest you can get are the OEM FE5 struts & shocks used on the Cobalt SS/TC. KYBs are good too, but they are not as firm.

I wouldn't mess with adding a rear sway bar unless I had a specific reason to justify it such as auto cross racing. That front sway bar link could have broken from the previous owner hitting something. I doubt not having a rear sway bar was a contributing factor.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 178K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 185K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
WrightMan

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I did not want the ride to get too stiff which is why I figured adding the sway bar would help with handling without compromising the ride quality much. New struts are going on soon and I was thinking about doing both at the same time. My other vehicles don't have real stiff suspension but at least they stay flatter in the corners which is what I am looking for. We have a lot of roundabouts in the area and it just seems wobbly. I might have a higher standard than most for a road car but it takes turns like my truck and I just want it to stay as flat in the turns as my 4200 lb crown vic. The crown vic does have some upgrades but it needed them to handle better I just would have thought this would have improved more after fixing the front sway bar.

2013 Escape 2.0T AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2018, 10:50 PM   #6
Clyderp
Clyderp is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I put in a progress rear sway bar a little before I put in fe5 shocks and struts. I did notice a slight improvement in the handling. It was also extremely easy to put in. I personally think it's worth it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Clyderp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Clyderp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Clyderp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:45 AM   #7
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan

I have a 2004 Ion and I installed new end links and front sway bar bushings a while back. Recently I just installed KYB struts and shocks with Tein lowering springs a 1.5 drop but my Ion is sitting on 17 inch wheels. Car handles very well for a cheap sedan. Its fun to drive.

Ions do not have a rear sway bar. Shocks and springs do all the work back there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote