SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
JJF65
JJF65 is on a distinguished road

Default I have a 2006 Saturn ion 5 speed manual transmission

JJF65 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2006 Saturn ion 5 speed manual transmission 2.2 engine. My problems started when I had a sunroof leak which I believe shorted out something in the electrical system because Iíve lost all power to the radio. Key would not start car changed ignition switch didnít fix the problem. Changed crankshaft sensor, mass flow sensor, ran fine for 30 minutes then lost power in 1st and 2nd gear, motor runs smooth and 3rd, 4th, and 5th have correct power, very weak power in 1st and 2nd. I am the original owner all maintenance has been kept up to date and I have 94,000 miles, I am a woman who needs help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JJF65's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JJF65 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JJF65 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2018, 10:26 PM   #2
rtfm13
rtfm13 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: I have a 2006 Saturn ion 5 speed manual transmission

Ask whoever replaced the crankshaft sensor if they did a "crankshaft variation relearn" with a scan tool. Other than that, I can tell you that the body control module (and wiring and fuses) is located underneath/behind the cupholder near the floor. I do know from experience that the engine won't start with the body control module disconnected. If you suspect water intrusion in the BCM, you may need another. I know someone with a Cobalt who got flood water in his BCM and it still runs today, but it had weird issues with lights and wipers.

I pulled out my headliner and I found a body ground on the C pillar. If it's rusty, you may have trouble with your brake lights (someone confirm?). I'm not sure what additional wiring you may have for the sunroof.

I've replaced the ignition switch (the electrical part) twice in the past 70k miles. Seriously reliable daily driver though.

As far as modern cars go, the Ion has fairly simple wiring. Engine control modules and body control modules do go bad sometimes. I got a spare engine control module on eBay for $50.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rtfm13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rtfm13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rtfm13 is offline   Reply With Quote