SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1
Default 98 SL2 turnsignal issue

Hello,
Discovered the other day that my left rear turn signal no longer flashes .
Changed the 1157 lamp with no difference in the result . The front turn signal works fine the brake light portion also works fine .. I am not suspecting the relay as the front signal works and the dash blinker works .
I cleaned the contacts in the socket with a file designed just for that purpose no change .
Any ideas? Or is it time to get out the service manual ? Start tracing wires?
This little car now has 270 on the clock with a second engine still delivering excellent gas mileage .
This appears to be a wiring issue correct ?
Thank you in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ccrussell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ccrussell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ccrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: 98 SL2 turnsignal issue

Voltmeter and a good set of eyes for damaged wires are the best solution.
Verify you have a good ground, and that there is or is not 12v on the socket.
If you do, then verify that the meter registers voltage on and off when the Left signal is ON.
If no volts, then obviously pick a spot in the rear harness and start probing until you find the elusive 12volts on that bulb circuit.
It might not be all that hard to locate.
By the way, does this car spend a lot of miles on gravel roads? That aspect has caused me the same issue over the years too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:44 AM   #3
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1

Hello,
Actually the local roads are often tarred and graveled in the springtime.
Every other year or so. Its annoying but i suspect its cost effective for the town.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ccrussell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #4
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

with the ignition off, take an ohm meter and verify the ground pin in the socket has continuity to a good ground on the metal part of the car. Or, you can skin back a very small part of the insulation on each wire near the socket and then touch your voltmeter on them to verify if the socket is not the issue, with ignition on and the turn signal on of course. I have replaced a few sockets on other cars over the years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #5
Ccrussell

1999 SL1

Hello,
Thanks, good suggestions. I won't be able to take a look until Sunday morning I will post hopefully with favorable results

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #6
PrestonIII
PrestonIII has a spectacular aura aboutPrestonIII has a spectacular aura aboutPrestonIII has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

I'm unfamiliar with the '98's wiring. But if there's a wiring connector anywhere in the circuit, then you should pull it apart, inspect it, clean it if necessary, and probe for signals as needed. I've seen plenty of corroded General Motor's weatherpak connectors with green corroded goop in them.

With the ignition on, and the turn signal for that side activated, take your multimeter and probe for a pulsing signal in the turn signal bulb socket.

If there's no pulsing power signal, you should trace the wire backwards to the turn signal switch at the steering wheel. I'm unsure if that wire is fused, but if so, it's likely under the hood for the fuse, and the possibility of bad connections due to water infusion.

If you find the pulse, then test for the other terminal of the socket being grounded. You can do this with the ohm function or continuity function of your multimeter.

If there's no ground, trace the wire back to it's ground point.

The diagnostic procedure really is that simple, though the physicality of it can be much harder.

I've seen connectors above the wheel well with water intrusion from corrosion. I've seen connectors laying on trunk floors and mashed apart from stuff piled on them, or corroded from water laying in the trunk. I've seen broken traces on the circuit boards within tail lamp assemblies, and I've seen open circuits where the wires attach TO those traces. Corroded sockets, loose wires, bad connections, etc.

I had another brand car that had a connector about 14 inches back from the socket/lamp assembly, in which it wouldn't maintain connection. I ended up cutting that connector out and soldering the wires directly together. After I fixed the driver's side, 2 weeks later the passenger side started the same behavior. I didn't think twice about cutting it apart and soldering.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PrestonIII's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PrestonIII reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote