SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2018, 04:01 AM   #1
Hoodedkitty
Hoodedkitty is on a distinguished road

Default Car randomly dies if I accelerate too hard

My car randomly shut off about a month ago. The battery and oil light came on then it just went dead. I replaced the old battery and put a new alternator in and the check engine light went off for a few days. So I tried to drive it not like a grandma and the electronics flashed at me but when I just drive slow and regular it's fine but the engine light is on. Then tonight on my way home I pushed the car a little harder than usual and it almost died again. I don't understand why accelerating hard causes my car to die

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hoodedkitty's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hoodedkitty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hoodedkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #2
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1
Default Re: Car randomly dies if I accelerate too hard

If you don't have your own OBD II code reader, go to your local parts store and get them to pull the code(s). Don't ask for their diagnosis - they just want to sell you stuff. Post back here with what you learn and you will get help.

AutoZone will always read codes for free.

Put the year and model of your car in your next post. If your car is pre-1996, then you don't have OBD II and there is a different way to get codes.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
313k 07/18

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

So if your Land Rover (don't know what you're driving) died while driving, replaced the battery and alternator didn't fix the problem, did you at least check these items - drive belt for looseness, battery cables for corrosion?

Anytime the engine dies on its own, the battery and oil light always turns on. It's telling you the engine isn't running just like when you turn the ignition key ON before starting (with more lights - seat belt, brake light, etc).

If you don't care to try retrieving error codes and posting them here for more help, how can anyone help unless you like guesses and delayed troubleshooting with off the wall suggestions.

Put your car stats in your profile to show under your name. Add pertinent info to posts to give anyone a perspective of how old your car is (mileage), what's been done for maintenance and any mods made.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Only 4 posts, so at the risk of encouraging bad behavior

'97 SL2
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...89#post2247689

Previous history - possible misfire?
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...94#post2248394

I'm guessing as long as OP drives slowly, no misfire, but driving harder, misfire and stalling? Let's see what OP says

How old are your spark plugs and wires (how many miles since they were last changed)?
Check your oil level and fill regularly?

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:38 AM   #5
Hoodedkitty

It's giving code p0141

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Hoodedkitty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
Hoodedkitty

I'm not sure about the spark plugs I had the car for about a year and haven't changed them. The belt is tightened just fine I put a new tensioner on a few months back. I also just changed the oil and filter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Do you have any records (e.g., from teh previous owner, dealership, etc.) that shows the spark plugs /wires have been changed recently?

If not, I would recommend you change them. Then write down the mileage and today's date, and keep it with your records so you know when you need to replace them next.

If you are not doing the work yourself, do not let them talk you into installing platinum (or iridium, etc.) spark plugs. Insist on plain copper-core plugs. Then, when you get teh car home, make sure the spark-plug wires run like this:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=25

(shops often are not careful about how they line up, and under certain conditions, this can make a difference)

The P0141 is basically emissions control, to make sure your catalytic converter is properly functioning. This will not affect how your car runs

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146212

You probably want to confirm that we are discussing your '97 SL2

Something else you want to check, look at your ECTS - follow the wiring back and look for tape or shrinkwrap. Its presence will indicate that your ECTS and the connector has been changed in the past. You can see white shrinkwrap on teh wires in this picture. If you see a black wire and yellow wire go as far back as you can trace with no electrical tape or shrinkwrap, you may need to replace your ECTS (will cause stalling, low mpg, hard starting)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

Last edited by alordofchaos; 01-22-2018 at 11:21 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote