SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2018, 09:18 PM   #1
twernicke
twernicke is on a distinguished road

Default Exhaust Manifold to head pipe question

I'm going to be replacing the head pipe and converter for my son's 2002 SL1. I have the pipes and gaskets but not sure what I might need to bolt it up to the exhaust manifold. Does it have (3) bolts/nuts or are there (3) studs coming out of the manifold. I don't have the car here right now to look, just trying to make sure I have all of the parts that I need. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twernicke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twernicke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twernicke is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2018, 09:52 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Default Re: Exhaust Manifold to head pipe question

There should be three studs with nuts, 13mm hex. I wouldn't try it with anything other than a 6-point socket. A 12" extender and universal-joint are also helpful. 3/8" drive on all, not enough room for 1/2". I don't think a deep socket is mandatory, but may also be helpful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:04 PM   #3
twernicke
twernicke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
There should be three studs with nuts, 13mm hex. I wouldn't try it with anything other than a 6-point socket. A 12" extender and universal-joint are also helpful. 3/8" drive on all, not enough room for 1/2". I don't think a deep socket is mandatory, but may also be helpful.
OK so the studs are pressed into the manifold?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twernicke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twernicke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twernicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:23 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

No, they are screwed into the manifold. Use an impact wrench and the nuts will come off or the stud will screw out of the manifold. Buy a good battery impact.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote