SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Hard shift after hard acceleration

I been noticing lately that on my Saturn L300 that after hard acceleration that I get a Service Wrench light. This isn't the same as the 1-2 slamshift but you differently can feel the change when this happens. But isn't limited to 1-2 but also 2-3 and 3-4 range so not sure what might causing this. I did have the 1-2 solenoid repaired and since then worked fine. But during the Slamshift after driving for some time it would come on but the hard drive shift in all range only happens when you done hard acceleration like passing otherwise it never rears it's ugly head. So has anyone had this happening lately. My 03 Saturn L300 is now entering 250K range and the only major tranx was the 1-2 repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2
Default Re: Hard shift after hard acceleration

It could be the pressure solenoid that needs replacing.

My son has a 2003 L300 which has hard shifting coupled with the wrench light on. We had it checked out by an auto tranny shop. The guy used his Tech 11 and told us that the tranny was compensating by keeping the pressure high. He told us that the condition could stay like that for a long time if the car wasn't used continuously for long journeys (it isn't). The other option was a rebuild at a cost of $2000.00. That's over 12 months since, the car still does it's little party piece, but hasn't gotten worse. If you don't mind cursing a lot and spending the weekend under the car, dropping the tranny down slightly, taking off the side panel and replacing the solenoids will (should) rectify the condition.

My best advice would be get it checked out with the Tech 11, given it's throwing codes with the wrench light coming on and then you can make an informed decision on what to do next.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Unfortunately I did replace the 1-2 slamshift some time back. And the problem now doesn't exhibit the same problem how it happens. The slamshift for mine happened when normal drives this other problem happens after hard acceleration like passing then it happens no to long after that. But drive normally any other days and nothing happens. I'll have another that does Tranx do a checkup and ask him and see if he can get time to check it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #4
soulsurvives
soulsurvives is a jewel in the roughsoulsurvives is a jewel in the roughsoulsurvives is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You need to get the codes to see for sure. My wife's was doing the hard shifting with the wrench light on and I replaced the pressure control solenoid and it solved the issue. The solenoid cost me about 40 bucks. Some trans fluid and a few hours later it was all good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurvives View Post
You need to get the codes to see for sure. My wife's was doing the hard shifting with the wrench light on and I replaced the pressure control solenoid and it solved the issue. The solenoid cost me about 40 bucks. Some trans fluid and a few hours later it was all good.
Was this just on normal drives or after doing hard acceleration like passing and then back to normal driving?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #6
soulsurvives
soulsurvives is a jewel in the roughsoulsurvives is a jewel in the roughsoulsurvives is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
Was this just on normal drives or after doing hard acceleration like passing and then back to normal driving?
It didn't really matter for the most part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2018, 06:55 PM   #7
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurvives View Post
It didn't really matter for the most part.
I do know it hasn't happened and it does happen after doing 5K rpm passing the problem shows up but been driving regularly and it hasn't shown up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-24-2018, 09:10 AM   #8
soulsurvives

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You should get the code read. It could be an issue unrelated to the tranny. Perhaps at high rpm the mass air sensor is malfunctioning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #9
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I know I am trying to get it in but WI Cold doesn't help here. But I also not wonder if low Tranx fluid isn't causing it as well. But I have to get past this WI Cold to the shop so he can take a look.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!