SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
38TransAM
38TransAM has a spectacular aura about38TransAM has a spectacular aura about38TransAM has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL2
1999 SL2
Default 99 SL2 wiper motor

Well, I took it apart and everything started working again...... Nothing was loose when I took it apart.

Good this morning and then crapped out again on the way home.

Squirters work and when I try to use the wipers I can hear a faint clunk/ping type of noise like it wanted to cycle.

Pretty sure at this point it is a wiper motor and board I am needing, just wanted to make sure I'm not crazy.

Already called NAPA they can have one for me Wed. when I am off. Going to be cold doing it in the driveway......

Saturn OEM GM reman. engine NO LONGER AVAILABLE (SOLD OUT)
96 SL2 still kicking at 182k (now with updated mileage)
99 HCE 63k Now at 97k and new GM Reman engine due to road debris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 38TransAM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 38TransAM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
38TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #2
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2
Default Re: 99 SL2 wiper motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38TransAM View Post
Well, I took it apart and everything started working again...... Nothing was loose when I took it apart.

Good this morning and then crapped out again on the way home.

Squirters work and when I try to use the wipers I can hear a faint clunk/ping type of noise like it wanted to cycle.

Pretty sure at this point it is a wiper motor and board I am needing, just wanted to make sure I'm not crazy.

Already called NAPA they can have one for me Wed. when I am off. Going to be cold doing it in the driveway......
Check when you have it out that the transmission is not stripped on the wiper end or where the motor connects to it (check the arms as well).... if so a JY run is required, or source it from a local SF

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:55 PM   #3
38TransAM
38TransAM has a spectacular aura about38TransAM has a spectacular aura about38TransAM has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturninin View Post
Check when you have it out that the transmission is not stripped on the wiper end or where the motor connects to it (check the arms as well).... if so a JY run is required, or source it from a local SF
I tore it down to short of pulling the wiper motor out. When it works, it all works normally then goes dead.

I heard the noise when zero movement happened as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 38TransAM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2018, 10:30 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The connector is known to cause problems such as you are seeing. The connector is in a very hostile environment. Have you given it a good cleaning and inspection?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
38TransAM

1996 SL2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The connector is known to cause problems such as you are seeing. The connector is in a very hostile environment. Have you given it a good cleaning and inspection?
Pulled it when I was poking around the other day, everything was tight and decently clean looking.

It's pretty much been dead on arrival since working the rest of the day and next morning after I played with it.

It also started working after I put an extension on the motor and gave it a few love taps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If mechanical vibration of the motor results in renewed operation then it is time to dig up a replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:31 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

When disassembling DC motors, unless you see initial damage to wiring, micro switches or mechanical parts, the unseen wear and tear occurs to the commutator and brushes (both using copper). When brushes wear down like starters from years of reliable use, the motors can simply fail or run intermittently. Love taps is the equivalent of realigning worn brushes for one more run. Starters wear out the same way if the solenoid and heavy duty electrical contacts don't fail. You may have read of suggestions to bang the starter with a piece of 2x4 lumber - the same last ditch attempt to get the starter to work to confirm its worn and time to replace it. Wiper motors use the same basic operation of brushes and commutator that wear away over time. You'd have to disassemble the wiper motor all the way down to examining the brushes for wear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #8
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

For what it's worth:

I've found that getting a JY replacement, is the most economical way to go... unless you really want to sink $125+ into a new wiper motor. Rockauto has new wiper motors ranging from $55-$150.

I've just gone to the JY and pulled used wiper motors when the ones in my cars have gone bad. In most cases- the JY replacement (at a cost of $15-$30) has lasted the rest of the time that I have owned the car.

Here is the Rockauto link for a new replacement for the Wiper Motor.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/s...per+motor,8824

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #9
38TransAM

1996 SL2
1999 SL2

Good news and bad news.

Good news in new motor was a 100% fix, bad news is new motor does not sound happy......

New motor will still in place until temperature is in the 50s or it fails.

Just my luck, but at least I have wipers now

Hardest part was getting the damned wiper assembly out and back in, still only took about 30 minutes to get out working in the driveway at 20deg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!