SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2018, 06:08 PM   #1
whoareyou4
whoareyou4 has a spectacular aura aboutwhoareyou4 has a spectacular aura aboutwhoareyou4 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2
1996 SC2
Default 97 SW2 no start

Cold today here in Minnesota, and my Saturn will not start.
Engine cranks, fuel pressure with key on is 38.
for kicks i swapped the module and coils packs from another 97 I junked out couple years ago, i know they worked, and I had them on a shelf in my garage
Still no start
when the Wife got home I had her to help, so I pulled a plug to check for spark
and I have none, nothing.
So what else do I check?
I changed the crank position sensor a couple years ago, but that don't mean nothing, and its a real PITA to change with no garage and as cold as it is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whoareyou4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whoareyou4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whoareyou4 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 97 SW2 no start

1-When you pulled a plug, was it wet/smelled of fuel or not? This is a major clue for troubleshooting.

2-Is the injector fuse blown or not?

3-Is the EIS 10 amp fuse blown? This powers the ignition control module for spark. 12v (with ignition ON) should be on terminal A, pink wire.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #3
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

The crank angle sensor is pretty high on the list of suspects.

I have had to change one out + had it fail again inside a year.

Fortunately they're not pricey.

92 SC2
93 SC2
93 SW2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:45 PM   #4
whoareyou4
whoareyou4 has a spectacular aura aboutwhoareyou4 has a spectacular aura aboutwhoareyou4 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2
1996 SC2

The plug was totally dry. I will check fuses tomorrow. I do need to redo the camcover gasket though as I have oil in the plug wells.

Thanks for the suggestions

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help whoareyou4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2018, 11:20 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Finding spark plugs totally dry suggests zero injector operation. Big clue. Injectors are operated by the pcm. No spark is the other clue. Spark is operated by the pcm. With zero fuel (presuming the other three plugs are dry too) and zero spark, there's the possibility that the crank sensor failed or is being temperamental by refusing to work in subfreezing cold. The crank sensor supplies the pulse train of precise timing signals to allow the pcm to operate the entire EFI system. Whether or not this crank sensor failed remains to be seen as all other things need to be checked and eliminated before concluding another faulty crank sensor. If you read this before tomorrow, placing a trouble light next to the crank sensor for warmth and throwing a blanket over the engine may help retain what little heat is given off a 100 watt bulb in the hopes of warming the lower engine block enough to maybe let the crank sensor operate. It might help to have a trickle charger on the battery too to keep the battery charged up for more starting.

Electronics for our cars are designed to work in Arctic sub freezing temps to desert heat. In general, a faulty crank sensor will not allow the pcm to operate; fuel pump while starting/running, ignition for spark, and pulse injectors. With everything checked and good, no fuel to plugs and zero spark usually points to a faulty crank sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #6
whoareyou4

1997 SC2
1996 SC2

fdryer, Well I checked all the fuses as you suggested, and they were okay, so I went ahead and replaced the CPS and now it starts fine. Its over 40 degrees today so it was no too bad doing the work, I even tried starting beforehand thinking/wondering if it was related to the sub-zero cold and it still did not start. Thanks for your help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!