SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2018, 01:03 AM   #1
Sparta
Sparta is on a distinguished road

Default Timing belt tensioner help

Hey guys I have a 2007 Saturn Vue with the 3.5 L Honda V6. I am noticing a ticking noise that makes it sound like a diesel engine when it is cold that seems to go away when the car warms up and I am thinking that it is the timing belt tensioner. My question is what parts exactly do I need to replace the timing belt tensioner correctly and how big of a job is it? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sparta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sparta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sparta is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2018, 02:45 AM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Timing belt tensioner help

Welcome to SaturnFans, Sparta!

While I don't drive a VUE with that engine, I do have an Acura MDX with the same one. First of all, a ticking noise is not likely to be caused by a tensioner. It is more likely to come from an engine source, perhaps related to the valve train. Secondly, replacement of the tensioner is effectively that of replacing of the timing belt as you must expose all of that area to access the tensioner. Fiscally therefore, it makes no sense to replace a tensioner by itself. Assuming your idea is correct and the tensioner is the issue then be prepared as it's a big job.

IMO, what you need is a better diagnosis of this problem. How long has this noise been going on? Is it related to cold weather only or did it occur in warm weather also? What is the mileage and maintenance history of this vehicle?

280,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Sounds more like the valves out of adjustment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
Cavell
Cavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L

how many miles on the vue? is it due for a timing belt job? our 03 vue has 50k miles on the last timing belt and we are at 6yrs. my kid is ready for a different vehicle so we are debating the next timing belt job
timing belt, WP and plugs at 2012/13?
valve cover gaskets at 2016
thermostat last week
and front VC gasket is seeping now

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
Sparta
Sparta is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, thanks for replies! So the Saturn has 110k miles on it and has a great history of maintenance. I donít think the timing belt was ever replaced though. I just did a google search and people pointed to the tensioner. Also, it only started doing it this winter, Iím in Michigan and itís been getting down to -30. Before the cold came, the noise wasnít there at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sparta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sparta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sparta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:56 AM   #6
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Timing belt due at 100K although the one in these is pretty durable and have seen them go twice as long in ideal conditions, -30 isn't ideal. Rubber gets brittle and snaps easier. Metal contracts when cold so valve clearance increases causing more noise until it warms up and tightens back up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

With 110K miles on the odometer the timing belt is over due for replacement. Honda"s recommendation for a service interval is 105K miles (maximum) or 7 years by time (maximum). Delaying this service is in no one's best interest.

280,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:03 AM   #8
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

If you are running conventional motor oil it is going to tick for a bit at startup in those temperatures. It takes a while for thick oil to get to the lifters and valve train. Also check out the accessory belt tensioner and make sure it is not knocking.
Yes, it's time for a timing belt and timing component change and for a valve adjustment.
In regard to the original question a timing belt change isn't too hard. Just take your time. I much prefer the ASIN kit from Rockauto. A new water pump comes with it. Just swap out the tensioner pull pin with a hardened pin. The one it comes with is soft. It bends and then is a PIA to get out.

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Some procedures for doing the Timing Belt, etc. can be found here . . .
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6r...lNbzhKajA/view

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:20 PM   #10
jeff kirschke
jeff kirschke is on a distinguished road

Dazed Re: Timing belt tensioner help

ticking while cold is also often attributed to broken and missing exhausst manifold to cyl head studs., easy to remove the heat shield get a mirror and look. oops my bad, sorry, im an ecotech junkie, forgot the 3.5. in my hurry to help ya.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeff kirschke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeff kirschke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jeff kirschke is offline   Reply With Quote