SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
TimingBelt?askr
TimingBelt?askr is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Is the dealership double dipping on labor?

2003 Saturn Vue V6 AWD. I brought it into the dealership and they located leaks coming from crankshaft seal and valve cover gasket. They said they might as well replace the timing belt while they're at it, okay makes sense to me.

Here's the funny part, replacing the timing belt itself was quoted at 700, replacing crankshaft seal is 600, replacing camshaft seal is 80 bucks (for mats I guess), and replacing water pump is 150 dollars. I told them the water pump was replaced a couple of years ago so they told me they'd skip that. So they said it'd be $1750 for all of that. Math doesn't add up but that's w/e, I don't think the person who called me was calculating stuff correctly or perhaps wasn't throwing in material costs? Who knows.

My question is, when changing the timing belt, aren't the crankshaft seal and camshaft seals easily accessible and wouldn't add much to labor costs? So effectively I'd be adding maybe 50 bucks in parts and 30 minutes of labor? Does this sound fishy to you guys?

Also they made it explicitly clear that I'd have to pay extra for a valve coverx2(not sure if they meant a gasket or a whole nother cover, not sure why he said 2 of them) for an extra 600 dollars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TimingBelt?askr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TimingBelt?askr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TimingBelt?askr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #2
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Is the dealership double dipping on labor?

Yes. They are possibly taking the standard hours for the two repairs and adding them. You should only have to pay x1.5 at most, not x2. I'd question them on it.
Water pump replacement doesn't have to be done, but consider a weeping pump can damage the timing belt. Might as well be safe.
I never replace just a timing belt. Have the tensioner and pulleys replaced as well. The best belt in the world fails if the pulley bearings fail.
If only one cover is leaking you can just have that cover gasket replaced. The front cover is easier to get to so the labor should be a little less.

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #3
TimingBelt?askr

Here's the cost breakdown if it's more informative:

Timing belt - 145
Timing Belt Tensioner (24449772) - 390
Timing Belt Cover Gasket (24416763) - 43
Cam Shaft Seal - 21
Crank Shaft Seal - 47
Water Pump + seal - 155
Antifreeze - 24
Intake gasket set (24433146) - 350

7 hours of labor - 825

Total 2000.

Last edited by TimingBelt?askr; 01-12-2018 at 04:28 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TimingBelt?askr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Why on earth would you take a 15 year old car to the dealer for repairs?

Timing belt - 145

These come in kit by AC Delco for $135 at Rock Auto

AC Delco water pump another $40

Mahle intake set $70

If the seals don't leak, I just leave them be. So $250 for parts plus a little something for fluids. And you should be able to find a place that would do the labor for $400. $650-$700 OTD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #5
Sir Wagonsky
Sir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post

Timing belt - 145

These come in kit by AC Delco for $135 at Rock Auto

AC Delco water pump another $40

Mahle intake set $70

If the seals don't leak, I just leave them be. So $250 for parts plus a little something for fluids. And you should be able to find a place that would do the labor for $400. $650-$700 OTD.
Yep. You can dispute the dealer for what looks to me like $100.
If he can find a trusted local garage, it will be hundreds cheaper.
Or there's DIY....

☠☠☠☠☠ DADS GARAGE ☠☠☠☠☠

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sir Wagonsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sir Wagonsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sir Wagonsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:40 PM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Welcome to SaturnFans, TimingBelt?askr!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimingBelt?askr View Post
2003 Saturn Vue V6 AWD. I brought it into the dealership and they located leaks coming from crankshaft seal and valve cover gasket. They said they might as well replace the timing belt while they're at it, okay makes sense to me.
I'd agree. This is a sensible consideration relative to the crankshaft seal replacement.

Quote:
Here's the funny part, replacing the timing belt itself was quoted at 700, replacing crankshaft seal is 600, replacing camshaft seal is 80 bucks (for mats I guess), and replacing water pump is 150 dollars. I told them the water pump was replaced a couple of years ago so they told me they'd skip that. So they said it'd be $1750 for all of that. Math doesn't add up but that's w/e, I don't think the person who called me was calculating stuff correctly or perhaps wasn't throwing in material costs? Who knows.
In the first sentence of this quote segment is the "double-dip." Labor to replace the timing belt, $700.00, is inclusive of work to expose the crankshaft seal (and cam seals) except for removal of the pulley (or pulleys). Therefore the $600.00 cranshaft seal service, as a separate item, is negated. Some additional labor to R&R the seal would be added, but shouldn't cost more than 1/4 of a labor hour. There are two camshaft seals and I would hope that the $80.00 amount is for replacing both seals. If the water pump was to be replaced - and I believe that it should be since the timing belt is being replaced - then there would be another small additional labor charge there as well. However, if you prefer to ignore the water pump replacement then you're certainly allowed to leave it alone. (After all, it's your vehicle.) The $700.00 amount could be including the timing belt, tensioner and idler pulleys, but it's important that you verify this. BTW, what does "(for mats I guess)" mean?

Quote:
My question is, when changing the timing belt, aren't the crankshaft seal and camshaft seals easily accessible and wouldn't add much to labor costs?
Yes, that's correct.
Quote:
So effectively I'd be adding maybe 50 bucks in parts and 30 minutes of labor? Does this sound fishy to you guys?
It could be that low. My hunch is that it will be more than that, but not extremely so.

Quote:
Also they made it explicitly clear that I'd have to pay extra for a valve coverx2(not sure if they meant a gasket or a whole nother cover, not sure why he said 2 of them) for an extra 600 dollars.
It appears that the original idea, from the service advisor's point of view, is to replace the one leaking gasket. An additional cost to replace the other valve cover gasket should be expected. Each side is considered, at least in part, a separate labor operation.

289,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:11 AM   #7
TimingBelt?askr

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
I was taking GF's vehicle to dealership where she usually gets service.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #8
Cavell
Cavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 3.5L
2003 VUE 3.0L

You remove timing belt and than remove cam sprockets to replace cam seals. So, if you work "backwards", a timing belt job can be upgraded by doing the cams seals at same time for a modest increase

BUT u use the timing tool kit to lock sprockets to keep cams in "time"
You have to remove sprockets for seal job so now cams are free to turn
So motor should be at 60 btdc which does not sync with tool kit
So tech needs to keep that in mind

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote