SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #1
quickster
quickster is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default 2002 SL2 Slamming In All Gears

278,000 miles on this car, with original alternator and starter. Very few issues with this car, but in need of your help once again.
2 months ago, I noticed while accelerating on the highway, it would slam occasionally. A month later, it would slam occasionally while driving at a steady speed. Monday, it slammed for the first time in reverse, again when I placed it in drive, and every gear after that. It also slammed while I was coasting to a stop, especially from second to first gear. It's been doing this all week.
Checked the fluid, it is still red, but not dark red at full mark. Do believe I may be overdue for a fluid change though, but not sure if this could cause my issues or not. Also checked my battery voltage: 12.75v before starting car, 15.08v after starting car, and 14.7 after warmed up.
Thinking of changing with Mobil 1 synthetic, and a Wix filter, but will wait for your input before proceeding. Thanks to anyone willing to help me figure this out.

2002 SL2, Bought new in October of 2001, Now has 281,300 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quickster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quickster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quickster is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2018, 11:18 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: 2002 SL2 Slamming In All Gears

Overdue for a fluid and filter change?
With that many miles on it, when was the last change done?
You might just change it, use the WIX and see if there is any improvement before delving further.

Just saw your in NW ILL.
I used to be in Stockton before transplanting here to VA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:20 AM   #3
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Check the trans fuse for the line-pressure circuit, I think it is labelled "TRS LP"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #4
quickster

2002 SL2

I think it was about 5 yrs. ago when I last changed the fluid/filter, but not sure what the mileage was at the time. I am familiar with Stockton, I'm from Sterling, not far from Stockton.
billr, I will check the trans fuse and let you know. Thanks for the help so far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help quickster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickster View Post
I think it was about 5 yrs. ago when I last changed the fluid/filter, but not sure what the mileage was at the time. I am familiar with Stockton, I'm from Sterling, not far from Stockton.
billr, I will check the trans fuse and let you know. Thanks for the help so far.
Transmission Fluid Service Change Interval is 30-months/30,000 miles, whichever occurs first. If you have gone 5+ years. without changing the fluid, this will be the first thing you want to do.

Use ONLY DEXRON-III ATF.

Transmission Troubleshooting always starts with checking the fluid level, and changing the fluid/filter.

If issues persist, after these two steps have been performed, then you want to move into advanced TS steps of checking the LP solenoid, LP pressure readings, fuses, etc.

The gear slamming will eventually loosen the input shaft nut, which you will then lose reverse and draw a P0732 code from your "Service Engine Soon" light.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #6
quickster

2002 SL2

Today I had an SES code read, PO733:Gear 3 Incorrect gear ratio. Not sure exactly what that means. Changed fluid/filter, hope Mobil 1 synthetic atf was ok to use. If not, I'll change it again with Dexron III. The trans fuses were all ok.
Went for a 30 minute drive when I was done. The only improvement was the downshifting from 4th to 2nd while braking or coasting to a stop. As I approached a stop light/sign, trans would slam from 2nd to 1st. The worst slamming occurs in reverse, and from 3rd to 4th gear.
Can I test the LP solenoid from the plug on top of the valve body cover? How do you check LP?

Last edited by quickster; 01-13-2018 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: not complete

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Check LP by using a 300 psi mechanical gauge on a long hose. It connects to the port where the trans-temp sensor screws in, just above the trans spin-on filter. The turbine-speed sensor is also there, the temp sensor is the smaller one. That port is simple 1/8" NPT, nothing hard to adapt to. I would use a T fitting so that the temp sensor could still be installed; no use introducing a new variable by having no trans temp signal. I say "long hose" because you want to watch that LP as you are driving along, so it has to reach someplace where the gauge is visible.

At idle, LP should be about 65 psi. If you then pull the LP fuse, LP should increase to its max about 265 psi. I may be a bit off on those pressures somebody will provide correct numbers if I am. Point is, you want to see what LP is doing as each shift occurs. LP should be well below max (~265) on most shifts. If LP seems "stuck" at max, then we need to find out why.

Obviously, if LP is at max when idling, with the fuse installed, then there is no need to even bother driving for testing. In that case we proceed directly to trouble-shooting the LP solenoid circuit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
quickster

2002 SL2

Thanks for this info. billr. This sounds like a sensible way to approach this problem. I've been researching this problem for hours on end on this forum, and from what I've read, my gut feeling leads me in the direction of troubleshooting the line pressure solenoid circuit, being that it shifts in all gears, but slamming.
That being said, if I go this route, do I need to open up the valve body to isolate the solenoids?, or can I remove the plug on top of the valve body and ohm out the pins?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #9
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
That being said, if I go this route, do I need to open up the valve body to isolate the solenoids?, or can I remove the plug on top of the valve body and ohm out the pins?
You only have to remove the connector to access the pins for resistance measurement. This video shows it being done with the Pan removed just for convenience . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tDmBlKn2jI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:27 PM   #10
quickster

2002 SL2

Thanks Chazberry. Will I be able to see these letters on the connector or next to the pins? Maybe with a magnifying glass? Just want to confirm I am on the right pins when ohming these solenoids. I plan on doing this with the valve body on the car if possible.

Last edited by quickster; 01-16-2018 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: not complete

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #11
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Will I be able to see these letters on the connector or next to the pins? Maybe with a magnifying glass? Just want to confirm I am on the right pins when ohming these solenoids. I plan on doing this with the valve body on the car if possible.
I don't think those pins are labelled on the connector. Go by the identification in the video at 0:28
You definitely can do it with the VB on the car without removing the pan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2018, 09:10 PM   #12
quickster

2002 SL2

I'm sure it will be straight forward when I get there, but wasn't sure in the video if the bottom row was facing the front of the car, or the driver's side.
Glad to know it can be done without removing from the car. Should be much warmer by the week-end, so that's when I plan on tackling this. Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #13
billr
Master Member

Those letters are on either the harness connector or the trans header, maybe both; but they are very small and hard to read. Yeah, magnifier and bright light, no matter how young and perfect your eyes are...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2018, 09:42 PM   #14
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Maybe this image will help. This is what you see facing the LF Fender looking down - Firewall to your right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VB Conn pin-out.jpg (89.8 KB, 19 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2018, 12:07 AM   #15
billr
Master Member

Keep that picture handy, Chaz, it is sure to be useful in the future!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2018, 07:22 PM   #16
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

mine did the exact same thing, the LP Solenoid was defective. The resistance was lower and the end of the solenoid was loose, it would move by 1/16 of an inch or so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:33 PM   #17
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Today I had an SES code read, PO733:Gear 3 Incorrect gear ratio. Not sure exactly what that means. Changed fluid/filter, hope Mobil 1 synthetic atf was ok to use. If not, I'll change it again with Dexron III. The trans fuses were all ok.
Went for a 30 minute drive when I was done. The only improvement was the downshifting from 4th to 2nd while braking or coasting to a stop. As I approached a stop light/sign, trans would slam from 2nd to 1st. The worst slamming occurs in reverse, and from 3rd to 4th gear.
Can I test the LP solenoid from the plug on top of the valve body cover? How do you check LP?
Codes for incorrect ratio can be indicative of slipping clutches, which causes the gear to spin at a speed outside of the PCM set parameters. Since you have reverse slam and 3-4 only, and 2-1, I suspect a VB replacement will be eventually needed. Reverse Slam occurs when either the boost pressure valve bore OR the pressure regulator valve bore has become worn. Reverse is on the same clutch as 2nd gear, which is now showing by symptoms, that you have multiple valve body issues present. You may need to so some further testing, but Ken Partin, Special Forces(a member here), and Central Valve bodies are the trusted and recommended suppliers for VB replacement.

Ken Partin & Special Forces also sell the solenoids, if you need to just replace a few of those.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #18
quickster

2002 SL2

Chazberry, correct me if I'm wrong, but the pin layout on video (post #9), does not match the pin layout of the picture (post #14). Just want to make sure I keep the solenoids straight when I ohm them out. Picture was great, just what I needed though.
Thanks for the info. gentlemen. Will make my life easier looking for solenoids or a valve body if I need one. Hopefully I'll be as lucky as gveinot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-18-2018, 07:55 PM   #19
billr
Master Member

Video is correct, picture is wrong. A and F are at the same end of their respective rows of pins.

Um... lose that pic, Chaz!

PS: it is the "A" row that is correct in the pic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-18-2018, 08:49 PM   #20
quickster

2002 SL2

Now that was funny!
Thanks billr, thanks Chazberry, thanks everyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!