SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2018, 06:16 AM   #1
Packrat1
Packrat1 is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2
Default MP7 trans leaking

Arrived home tonight after 12 hours of driving, decided o should change oil while engine was still hot. While I'm under there i noticed the driver's side of the subframe is wet with trans oil. I pull the airbox for a better view of the trans. With the airbox removed, I can see the leak is at about same height as filter. I think the cause is the plastic"clip that holds the tran cooler line in place. Doesn't appear to be seating all the way into place. Is this a common issue?do I just need to replace the clip.?

1995 Saturn SW2 5speed (retired @ 350,412 miles)

2001 Saturn SW2 (work in progress)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packrat1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packrat1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: MP7 trans leaking

Hate to be simplistic, but is there anyway the leak is from the filter / seal itself? Filter not tightened, or seal damaged?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Could be the line or filter, clean up the mess completely then start the car and let it sit and idle while you watch to find the leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #4
Packrat1

2001 SW2

I've been wondering about the filter for a while. For months I saw what appeared to be a small amount of seepage around the filter. Had a replacement(power torque)on the shelf, so used that while I was in there. Will try looking for the leak in a bit. Not sure how long it was leaking. Been a few weeks since I was under there. Did notice acceleration was a bit better than normal BEFORE discovering leak. Oh also see a tiny bit of antifreeze seeping out along the passenger side of the radiator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Packrat1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-03-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Radiator should be replaced before it completely fails.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

its real easy to pull the transmission dip stick and see what you have...should be bright RED, no burnt smell AND up to the full mark.
When was the last time the trans fluid & filter were changed out ?

This should be done at least every 30K miles even if no trans issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #7
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
I've been wondering about the filter for a while. For months I saw what appeared to be a small amount of seepage around the filter. Had a replacement(power torque)on the shelf, so used that while I was in there. Will try looking for the leak in a bit. Not sure how long it was leaking. Been a few weeks since I was under there. Did notice acceleration was a bit better than normal BEFORE discovering leak. Oh also see a tiny bit of antifreeze seeping out along the passenger side of the radiator.
I am not sure about the plastic retainer clips wearing out or leaking, other than knowing there is a rubber o-ring seal inside of them. I had to replace both my lines, when I got my 1995 SC2.

What I can suggest, from my own experiences, is how to identify and what may cause the filter to have a slow leak.

The magnet, which is under the filter, is recommended to be removed after the first filter change. If you do not thoroughly torque down the filter, with that magnet still on the stud, the seal doesn't fully take and you will get a seepage leak. This can usually be detected by the trans fluid dripping off the end of the filter, itself. It may take minutes to literal days for this, depending on the severity of the leak.

My personal preference, on those magnets, are to keep them installed. So, I have had to learn this leaking process by experience. Check the underside of the filter, for collection of fluid and a spot that looks like it would be dripping.

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 142k - Iron Duke w/auto
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 184k - DOHC w/auto 1qt/100mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
Packrat1

2001 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Radiator should be replaced before it completely fails.
I thought when they start to fail, it happens where the trans cooler lines attach.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #9
Packrat1

2001 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
I am not sure about the plastic retainer clips wearing out or leaking, other than knowing there is a rubber o-ring seal inside of them. I had to replace both my lines, when I got my 1995 SC2.

What I can suggest, from my own experiences, is how to identify and what may cause the filter to have a slow leak.

The magnet, which is under the filter, is recommended to be removed after the first filter change. If you do not thoroughly torque down the filter, with that magnet still on the stud, the seal doesn't fully take and you will get a seepage leak. This can usually be detected by the trans fluid dripping off the end of the filter, itself. It may take minutes to literal days for this, depending on the severity of the leak.

My personal preference, on those magnets, are to keep them installed. So, I have had to learn this leaking process by experience. Check the underside of the filter, for collection of fluid and a spot that looks like it would be dripping.
Magnet was already gone, but planning to add a ss300 filter magnet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-03-2018, 05:11 PM   #10
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I thought when they start to fail, it happens where the trans cooler lines attach.
In my experience this is a common place for radiators to leak. I would also replace the lines if they are more than 5 years old and you are replacing the radiator. I've had a couple times where a week after changing a radiator the tranny line blows. The stress from moving it around breaks the line internally and its just waiting to blow. Old hoses don't like being moved out of the way.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:17 AM   #11
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

If you decide to replace the cooling lines, make sure you get ACDelco replacement lines. There are two part numbers: 21031307 & 21031306

Since I had done both my lines, at the same time, I do not know which part number is for the upper and which is for the lower. My receipt, from PartsGeek(an internet reseller) only shows them both as Trans Cooler Lines.

RockAuto is the recommended parts supplier, by many of the forum users, here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #12
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
The most common failure, from age, is the tank on the driver's side. The plastic will eventually crack, right where the upper radiator hose attaches, causing a small leak that eventually gets worse.

It is an effect of the heating/cooling, plus the agitation of the ethylene glycol coolant reacting with the polyethylene plastic tank.

Failures at the cooling lines can happen, especially if the lines get seized, over torqued, or the fittings get severely corroded. These failures usually result in leaking transmission fluid OR leaking coolant, depending on where the failure occurs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!