SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #1
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default rear main seal and clutch Q

1997 SL
190,000 miles

Due to slipping clutch, I'm R&R it. (It will slip at moderate speed, high gear, level road, when you mash the gas pedal. But not in sane driving)

Is the Luk clutch still the way to go? (I put a new Luk in 9 years ago)

Is replacement of rear main seal (if I find oil leaking) straightforward? I have never done a RMS so it's a little intimidating. I mean, no room for error, if ya mess up, ya gotta do it all over again

Thanks peeps and Merry Christmas to y'all!

[Yes I will completely remove the tranny}

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: rear main seal and clutch Q

It is not the rear main seal. It is the trans quill seal. Read the Hunt4Steve transmission thread: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190919 to see how to replace it. Yes you will need a new clutch LUK 4-115 and a new flywheel.

The confirmation of a quill seal failure will be the nice coating of a reddish-brown greasy dirt covering all the bell housing insides. A main seal failure does not oil the clutch.

The seal and bearing assembly is a $17.00 part from RockAuto.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Thanks!

All righty then. When I get the trans out (tomorrow) I will see what's what. Stopped today by stubborn ball joint bolt. And darkness. And dinner

Is the quill thing a DIY job. I will check your link.

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #4
MikeNW
Master Member

1997 SL

Oh, why a new flywheel?

I think something is wrong, The clutch lasted only ~70,000 miles and 9 years, and I drive like grandma.

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Oil soaked. It must be either resurfaced or replaced and the replacement costs less than the machine shop charge to resurface. This is the low cost way to do it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/LUK-CLUTCH-...IAAMXQyY1TTY5U best offer usually will get you 10.00 or so off the marked price. ATF drips directly on the friction disk when that trans seal fails.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #6
MikeNW
Master Member

1997 SL
Default Re: rear main seal and clutch Q-OLD NUC was right again

WELL WELL WELL

I got the trans out and clutch apart. I almost threw up Oil all over everything. Blah.

Now to find someone to fix that seal.

I want to thank you for your help over the years. It's one thing to be a walking Saturn database. And another to be able to help all of us amateurs. Thanks again!

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-18-2017, 10:48 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Local Chevy dealers took over all the Saturn special tooling so they will have the special removal tool and the new one can be pressed in with no problem. You do need a very small tube of Locktite 620 to lock the new bearing assembly into the bell housing. The Locktite is not cheap so paying the dealer may not be a bad idea. It must be locked into the bell housing or it will slowly work back out.

Last edited by OldNuc; 12-18-2017 at 11:02 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-18-2017, 11:04 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you have or have had a cam cover leak on the left end that oil will get sucked into the bell housing through those 2 small vents.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2017, 11:16 AM   #9
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

Being that far into it I'd be hard pressed to come up with a reason not to replace the quill seal and the rear main. For the amount of work to get to them and the little bit of cost it's just not worth getting into it again.

Highmile
95 SL1 647k and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote