SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2017, 03:32 AM   #1
unpolire
unpolire is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default V6 water pump being done after timing belt, add $450 for thermostat?

The "master tech" did not replace the water pump less than 500 miles ago when the serpentine belt, timing belt, and tensioner were done "because it wasn't leaking." Now it appears to be leaking. Shop wants me to pay for the water pump and .50 of labor to rectify. The kicker is that now they are recommending replacing the thermostat at the same time, adding an additional 2.6 hours and making it $500+ total for the water pump re-do. No cooling system issues at all, just DexCool residue below the timing cover area. Should this be done now or when I change plugs, oil cooler seals, etc? Aside from coolant, I don't see any overlap in labor for the water pump and thermostat jobs on their own. Advice? $1,750 total for serpentine belt, water pump, thermostat, tensioner, timing belt, and gaskets?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unpolire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unpolire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unpolire is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Default Re: V6 water pump being done after timing belt, add $450 for thermostat?

Not familiar with the 3.0 but would just have the WP replaced with 1/2 hour labor. Thermostats rarely fail so you can deal with that if it comes separately.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #3
Cavell
Cavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 3.5L
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: V6 water pump being done after timing belt, add $450 for thermostat?

wp is driven by serp belt so remove that. than remove wp pulley
support motor, remove motor mount, remove tensioner
wp bolts are hard to reach with timing cover in place
remove timing cover. crank pulley must come off to do that
it helps to lift intake plenum for easier access to timing cover
not a big deal if you lift and support it with rope
if plenum is up than you can reach lower intake plate
that has to come off to reach thermostat housing under it
it is not critical to do thermostat with wp.
yes they are near each other but one is front of motor, one is top of motor
ANY mechanic who has not worked on a 3.0 will scratch his head

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

And this is why conventional wisdom says replace the WP when doing the TB.
The T'stat is prone to failure, but no overlap besides draining Coolant. You can wait for the P0128 to appear before doing that PITA job (requires Intake removal).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
Cavell
Cavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 3.5L
2003 VUE 3.0L

wp job is a bit of work. thermostat is additional work. it turns a 3hr job into a 4+hr job. is it worth 200 more in labor? depends if tech has trouble removing the thermo cover pipe assy

Last edited by Cavell; 12-16-2017 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: ff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpolire View Post
The "master tech" did not replace the water pump less than 500 miles ago when the serpentine belt, timing belt, and tensioner were done "because it wasn't leaking." Now it appears to be leaking. Shop wants me to pay for the water pump and .50 of labor to rectify.
With regard to the labor charge, .50 of _____ (an hour, of the regular labor cost)?

Quote:
The kicker is that now they are recommending replacing the thermostat at the same time, adding an additional 2.6 hours and making it $500+ total for the water pump re-do. No cooling system issues at all, just DexCool residue below the timing cover area. Should this be done now or when I change plugs, oil cooler seals, etc? Aside from coolant, I don't see any overlap in labor for the water pump and thermostat jobs on their own. Advice? $1,750 total for serpentine belt, water pump, thermostat, tensioner, timing belt, and gaskets?
From my limited perspective, it appears to me that the shop is trying to squeeze some extra cash out of you because they want to earn some money against what's being lost on the water pump installation. I would refuse the extra work at this time.

294,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:41 PM   #7
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

It is good practice to replace the water pump when a timing belt is replaced on the 3.0. It's right there!

As mentioned, the thermostat is on top of the engine and requires a lot of work to gain access to it as you are familiar with. Replacement is a toss up at this point. How many miles on that thermostat?

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #8
Cavell

2004 VUE 3.5L
2003 VUE 3.0L

"Shop wants me to pay for the water pump and .50 of labor to rectify."

pump is $50 part. and .50 hrs labor

shop is going to charge you approx $100 for job?
labor on pump alone is more than .50 hrs
heck, a shop will charge you .50 hrs to change a light bulb

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #9
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
Thermostats rarely fail so you can deal with that if it comes separately.
While some may not consider this a failure, I had to replace several thermostats over the years, in different vehicles, due to poor winter performance (not heating up quickly and not getting the vehicle warm inside). In SoCal the OP may or may not notice a decrease in MPG.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #10
unpolire

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Good advice re V6 water pump being done after timing belt, add $450 for thermostat?

Thanks, everyone. What the Regional Manager is willing to do is to only charge me for the 30 minutes of additional time it would have taken to change the water pump when they changed the timing belt and tensioner, and the cost of the part. They are eating the cost of the labor to replace the water pump as a stand-alone job after the original repair.

I will defer the thermostat until oil cooler seals, spark plugs, etc. maintenance on the top of the V6.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help unpolire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #11
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Good advice re V6 water pump being done after timing belt, add $450 for thermosta

Quote:
Thanks, everyone. What the Regional Manager is willing to do is to only charge me for the 30 minutes of additional time it would have taken to change the water pump when they changed the timing belt and tensioner, and the cost of the part. They are eating the cost of the labor to replace the water pump as a stand-alone job after the original repair.
I think that the company's offer to resolve this service issue is a good one for you.

294,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:02 AM   #12
unpolire

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Update re V6 water pump being done after timing belt

I truly hate others working on my vehicles. The shop tried to charge me double the retail for the water pump at nearly $100 until I pointed out that even Walmart sold the Chinese pumps for $21! They reduced their rate to $50. The replaced water pump was dated 5/18/2009, and was not leaking, so the P.O. replaced only the water pump and not the timing belt, which resulted in it finally breaking at 133,000.

The source of the coolant leak was a pinhole in the upper radiator hose, which they were happy to replace for $43 in labor and $30 for the hose. Labor was billed at $108 per hour. My unskilled daughter with a screwdriver and 10 minutes could have changed that hose with direction. I was 65 miles from home for the warranty repair or I would have changed it myself. I hate the Mitchell Guide estimates for labor.

The labor cost that I did not pay for the water pump replacement under warranty was $540.

They also told me that all 4 struts were original and needed replacement. As my much trusted regular mechanics for shop work checked out the tires and suspension at purchase and said that they were fine, I declined. Since the P.O. lied about the engine being a new replacement, the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump were not immediately replaced at that inspection, although the engine oil was filthy and the vehicle needed new front brakes.

Moral, like many vehicles, if there's no proof of timing belt replacement, just do it. As this is an interference engine, this whole job cost could have easily tripled with bent valves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!