SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
BigPaul
BigPaul is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Saturn engine swap

Hello, One of my friends works for a dealer auction. He says there is a Saturn redline coupe in the back lot but the engine is toast. If the engine has to be replaced I thought why not go bigger. Has anyone ever tried to upgrade to the 6 cyl Saturn motor in an Ion Redline?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BigPaul's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BigPaul reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BigPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Saturn engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPaul View Post
Hello, One of my friends works for a dealer auction. He says there is a Saturn redline coupe in the back lot but the engine is toast. If the engine has to be replaced I thought why not go bigger. Has anyone ever tried to upgrade to the 6 cyl Saturn motor in an Ion Redline?
Why not just rebuild the 2.0L or find a used replacement? The only Saturn V6 is the 181 HP 3.0L V6. This is definitely NOT an upgrade. The 255 HP Honda V6 used in the 2004-2007 Vue puts out more power than the supercharged 2.0 L the Red Line (205 HP), but has far less potential with modifications unless money is no object.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 179K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 190K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #3
BigPaul
BigPaul is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Thanks Ruley, that's why I posted, I know squat about Saturn engines. Appreciate the info. BTW the engine isn't rebuidable, a young lady drove it home from college apparently the light came on when she left and drove it approx 300 miles, giant hole in the side. The friend who runs the auction talked to the father who said his daughter said "it was making a banging sound for a long time"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BigPaul's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BigPaul reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BigPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

While I suspect that some members with L-Series cars having the 3.0L V6 might disagree with the assessment that installing the V6 engine instead of another 4 cylinder "is definitley NOT not an upgrade" to an Ion Redline, there's a simple matter of space available. In both the VUE and the L-Series vehicles, the engine compartment was designed to utilize both a 4 cyl. engine and a V6. The Ion models were designed to house a 4 cyl. engine only.

Quote:
BTW the engine isn't rebuidable, a young lady drove it home from college apparently the light came on when she left and drove it approx 300 miles, giant hole in the side.
That's rather sad. Obviously, she was hearing a rod knock, but had no idea that it was a problem. Based on your description (if I'm understading this correctly), it seems that one of the rods was thrown and punched a hole in the block.

Quote:
The friend who runs the auction talked to the father who said his daughter said "it was making a banging sound for a long time"
As a side note, this is why we need to inform our children who are new drivers what to listen for from the engine compartment and what to watch for at the gauges so that they avoid utterly ruining an engine.

294,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote