SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #1
nickroa95
nickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Proper Way to Check Oil

I have an 03 ION coupe and recently Iíve thought that I had found my engine was consuming oil. Two months or so after an oil change, my oil read 3/4 on the dipstick. Topped off on oil. Two weeks later, 1/2. Another week after, 1/4. I checked the engine all around for a leaky valve cover but its as clean as it could be. I lifted the car up and checked under the engine and around the pan, and itís also completely clean. Spark plugs were pulled to check for oil but they were also clean. I noticed there seems to be a problem with these cars in checking the oil. If I pull the dipstick, clean it, put it back, and pull it to read the results, I get about 3/8 full. If I leave the dipstick in for about 10-15 seconds and then pull it out, I get 3/4. What gives? Before I dish out some cash for a compression test kit, Iíd like to know if any of you guys may have ideas on what my problem could be. Car has 108,000 miles, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nickroa95's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nickroa95 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nickroa95 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Default Re: Proper Way to Check Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickroa95 View Post
Before I dish out some cash for a compression test kit, Iíd like to know if any of you guys may have ideas on what my problem could be.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. If it runs smooth a compression test won't tell you much. Read the oil level a few minutes after shutting off the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

It takes a long time for the oil to drain back down to the pan on these engines. I only trust my dip stick after the engine has not run for 12-24 hours.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:29 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Here's a very recent discussion of that same issue in another thread from the Ion Tech Forum.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...king+oil+level

If your car is running well otherwise, save yourself the trouble of a compression test at this time. However, if you want to test the engine in order to have a baseline to relate to in this car's history then I fully support that.

288,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 12-16-2017 at 11:35 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:50 PM   #5
nickroa95
nickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Thank you all for the feedback. I know that there is nothing really here to fix, exactly. But moving from the 1.9L S-series that had awful oil consumption, I was eager to hear the ecotec line of engines should not have had the same problem. The car runs perfectly fine so I guess Iíll save the money for a compression test kit and not buy it. What I donít understand is how exactly oil could be consumed, since these cars DO have oil drain holes on the pistons that the 1.9ís did not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nickroa95's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nickroa95 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nickroa95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-No one has to buy a compression gauge if a nearby AutoZone has one for loan as part of a tool loan program. Advance Auto provides a similar policy.

2-Ecotec engines have their own peculiarities with many threads on almost any GM forum discussing problems with the 2.2L engine. The S-series, Ions and L-series are examples of Saturn using 2.2L engines.

You'll eventually find out that all engines consumes oil in many ways. Since engines need a film of oil on every cylinder wall to provide easy lubrication between piston, rings and wall, the smallest amount is burned at the top of each combustion cycle, once every 720 degrees. I may have one of the few engines (3.0L V6) with zero oil consumption between oil changes (5k-8k miles). The opposite end would be some S-series engines using one quart every 100 miles from severely coked, stuck oil rings allowing excessive oil to burn off with a blue smoke exhaust as a tell tale sign.

As suggested, if you're unsure whether your engine uses oil or not and there are zero visible signs of oil leaking anywhere on the engine, just park the car overnight on a level driveway or street and check oil the next day before driving off somewhere. If you can, park whenever you work on another level parking spot and when you return to the car an hour or so later, check oil level again. By repeating this several times you'll establish a pattern for consistent oil level checking and go from there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:45 PM   #7
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
2-Ecotec engines have their own peculiarities with many threads on almost any GM forum discussing problems with the 2.2L engine. The S-series, Ions and L-series are examples of Saturn using 2.2L engines.
I think that you probably intended to include the VUE with the L-Series and Ion, and not the S-Series with regard to the ECOTEC 2.2L engine.

288,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #8
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]Here's a very recent discussion of that same issue in another thread from the Ion Tech Forum.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...king+oil+level
good search skills, LOL.

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacek_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacek_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:15 AM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
I think that you probably intended to include the VUE with the L-Series and Ion, and not the S-Series with regard to the ECOTEC 2.2L engine.
Yes, you are correct. Holiday brain? Temporary loss of cell power (the one between my ears)? Distracted typing (watching tv) as in multitasking? And no, I wasn't texting while driving. My favorite excuse, allergies (occasional impromptu headache, runny nose, itchy eyes.

I checked and the S-series never had the ecotec engine. Vues did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote