SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #1
craftsman70
craftsman70 is on a distinguished road

Default Igntition Kill switch

So, was thinking about installing an ignition kill switch and so the first thing I did was search the forum. There are lots of discussions of how to do it. However, over the years I've also read a lot of forum posts about the 'hacked' in RKE Ignition Kill Relay that is up under the dash on 97+ models. I see a ton of people following the Richpin video for bypassing that relay. So my question is, if I want to install a starter kill switch, how should I do it differently? What was it that Saturn did that warrants calling it a 'hack'?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to craftsman70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help craftsman70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
craftsman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: Igntition Kill switch

Which model Saturn do you wish to do this on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
craftsman70

98 SL1 without RKE.

From what I've researched it seems if I wire in the relay so it uses 0 power when turned off, I'd do so by putting the starter on the relay's Normally Open terminal. This way the starter is disabled when there is no power to the relay. But doing so opens it up to the possibility of being stranded when the relay fails.

On the other hand, I think I could hook it up so the starter is on the Normally Close side and have the kill switch provide 12v to keep the starter disengaged. Doing so would make it less likely to become stranded if the relay failed, but would add a slight battery drain.

What is the best practice for it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help craftsman70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2017, 06:42 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Any relay that you would be willing to pay for that can also handle the starter solenoid current will draw enough coil current to drain the battery in a short period of time.

The RKE starter relay is a low current relay and you can get another one rather cheaply at the JY. Cut the yellow wire between C1 and C2 and connect the relay in the configuration you like between C1 and C2. Using the NO contacts requires that the new relay be energized to start. This is very low risk as the number of those relays that have failed is incredibly small and any no start condition could be manually bypassed by a hidden SPST toggle switch that completes the start circuit across both relays when closed. No thief is going to be crawling around under the dash of a car they are trying to steal trying to troubleshoot a no start condition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:07 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

craftsman70, are you certain your '99 SL1 doesn't have remote keyless entry? The wiring diagram below is for '99's and I've edited part of it for some clarity.

The simplest ignition kill switch, if you're not comfortable with relay wiring, would be cutting the yellow wire (anywhere) from the ignition switch (to underhood fuse box that goes in and comes out as a purple wire to the starter solenoid) and adding a simple heavy duty ON/OFF switch hidden anywhere within reach inside the car. You can cut this yellow wire anywhere under the steering column or nearby and add any color wire(s) to extend both ends to a convenient place to hide the on/off switch. If done neatly, any additional wiring can be merged into existing wiring to blend in to discourage any thief that may have the talent to search for switch and/or wiring. This presumes a thief is skilled in electrical wiring while trying to steal your car. All this on/off switch does is enable or disable the starting circuit to allow power to the starter or not. The ignition switch remains intact along with wiring since you're cutting the yellow wire downstream of it - with the switch in the OFF position, turning the ignition switch to START will result in dead silence. Flipping the switch ON then turning the ignition switch to START allows the starter to power up. To prevent burning up the electrical contacts in this on/off switch, refrain from flipping the switch while starting. Any general purpose switch capable of handling 5-10 amps will work and should last forever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TifToGif.jpg (125.2 KB, 3 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #6
craftsman70

Thank you both OldNuc and DFryer. I that all makes sense.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!