SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2017, 03:58 PM   #1
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Idler pulley bearing

I stumbled across this thread where OldNuc says that you can replace the idler pulley bearing with a 6203 bearing. How hard is it to replace this bearing and is this a better idea than buying a new idler pulley?

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 182,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Idler pulley bearing

Perhaps this bearing?

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...e&newYmme=true

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Not if the picture is correct. What is shown is open on at least one side, you need "double-sealed". 6203 defines the basic bearing size, but suffixs like "ZZ" specify sealing, shielding, grease used, grade, etc. The price seems a bit high, but I usually go to a commercial bearing supplier, and it has been a while since I bought any.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #4
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Thanks BillR

Does anyone have an answer to my first post in this thread?

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Do you mean how hard is it to do? I haven't done one of those but think it would be fairly easy. Certainly some pressing is involved, but it is a small bearing with symmetric housings and such; much easier to set up properly than a front wheel bearing. And, probably no fierce snap-ring! Regardless, avoid any use of a hammer during either the removal or installation. For a small simple bearing like this, a "press" could be merely a jack, socket/pipe, and a big weight (like a car) to push against.

I did take a peek, those 6203 double-sealed bearings seem to be available on-line in the $2-5 range. The high-priced $5 one is SKF.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:59 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhawk View Post
I stumbled across this thread where OldNuc says that you can replace the idler pulley bearing with a 6203 bearing. How hard is it to replace this bearing and is this a better idea than buying a new idler pulley?
You can replace the bearing in a Metal idler or tensioner pulley, plastic pulleys are not simple to do. The primary criteria is that the outer rim of the pulley does not have a sharp edge worn into it by the belt, if it does it is a paper weight. As long as you apply force to the outer race ONLY you can swap it out/in with a hammer and socket, it is not in there very tight. You need a quality double sealed bearing size 203. The "6" indicates the quality fit and is about all you will see so a 6203 double sealed is what you want. Every manufacturer has a slightly different methods of indicating double sealed so the code is of minimal interest. Google your location for Motion Industries or Bearing Supply to see what is close. A decent quality will be in the $5,00 range. Swapping out metal for plastic may be the better choice as long as you can afford the price difference which should be minor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Thanks Nuc. How about I replace the whole thing with one of these:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...267017&jsn=345

or

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=346&jsn=346

Both are steel.

If so, either one preferable?

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2017, 10:43 PM   #8
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

There's also this one, if I want to buy one locally quickly:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...m=idler+pulley

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2017, 10:51 PM   #9
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Apparently, there's a Motion Industries in Somerville, which is close (my work takes me into Somerville daily).

I think my pulley is still ok, though I believe it's original (making it 25 years old). I'm just trying to find the easiest and quickest quality fix.

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2017, 10:56 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If it wobbles and makes noise it is due for replacement and if it is original then a complete replacement is best approach.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:43 AM   #11
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I meant the pulley itself. I t is making a noise... wobbles a little so the bearing must be shot... But yeah, I was thinking of replacing the whole thing.

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #12
craftsman70
craftsman70 is on a distinguished road

I went through this last spring. I bought the bearing but couldn't get the old one out of the pulley since I don't have access to a press. So then I just went ahead and replaced the entire pulley. While at it, I recommend you also replace the pully on the tensioner and the belt itself. One last thing, locally I could only find some of the pulleys in plastic. I ended up having to order both my tensioner and idler pulley online in order to get metals ones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to craftsman70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help craftsman70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
craftsman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:39 PM   #13
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I replaced it today with the pulley listed above from advance auto parts. What a difference! For a number of years when I started the car on the really cold day it made a sound like a power steering pump that was low on fluid. Eventually the sound died down as the car warmed up. I just always assumed that sound was the power steering pump. Recently that sound got louder and kept on going after the car warmed up. I thought maybe I really was low on power steering fluid so I checked that and it was fine. Then the sound started to get louder and raspier and didn't sound so much like a power steering pump anymore. I loosen the tensioner on the belt and tried spending some of the police and the tensioner seemed a little bit crusty and a tiny bit wobbly. Given that that's the original tensioner that's 25 years old and 182,000 miles on it I figured that was the likely culprit. It was an inexpensive thing to try. So I tried it and Vpila! I don't remember a time when the engine was so quiet.

As to the tensioner, I replace that with an oem one two or three years ago.

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #14
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

By the way, when I took out the old one the bearing was really crusty.

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2017, 07:41 PM   #15
cgg17
cgg17 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhawk View Post
I replaced it today with the pulley listed above from advance auto parts. What a difference! For a number of years when I started the car on the really cold day it made a sound like a power steering pump that was low on fluid. Eventually the sound died down as the car warmed up. I just always assumed that sound was the power steering pump. Recently that sound got louder and kept on going after the car warmed up. I thought maybe I really was low on power steering fluid so I checked that and it was fine. Then the sound started to get louder and raspier and didn't sound so much like a power steering pump anymore. I loosen the tensioner on the belt and tried spending some of the police and the tensioner seemed a little bit crusty and a tiny bit wobbly. Given that that's the original tensioner that's 25 years old and 182,000 miles on it I figured that was the likely culprit. It was an inexpensive thing to try. So I tried it and Vpila! I don't remember a time when the engine was so quiet.

As to the tensioner, I replace that with an oem one two or three years ago.
Mine makes that exact noise, I figured it was the PS pump as well, but maybe Ill try the idler and tensioner and replace the belt while I am there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:53 PM   #16
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

btw, I tried spinning some of the pulley, not spending the police. Damn speech to text. it's good, but still not perfect!

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!