SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Default How do I bench test an oil pressure sender?

How do I test?

An Ohm meter shows a closed circuit at zero pressure. Using regulated air to the sender, I see no difference in resistance up to 80 psi.

The manual calls 13 psi at idle, 80 psi cold at 2000 rpm - but give no test for the switch..

driveable

92 SC2
93 SC2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
97 SL2 - cooked engine
98 SC2 - rusty frame. Donor engine for above SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: How do I bench test an oil pressure sender?

The switch opens at 5-7psi. If you are discussing the 91-92 SENDER then the resistance changes with pressure.

Operating oil pressure specification is based on engine and oil warmed up to operating temperature. This implies a 15-30 minute drive at 45-65 mph. The specification is 13 psi at idle and 36 psi at 2000 RPM. The bypass is based on cold oil conditions and it begins to open at 72-73 psi and oil pressure maintained <80 psi up to 2500 RPM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The switch opens at 5-7psi. If you are discussing the 91-92 SENDER then the resistance changes with pressure.

Operating oil pressure specification is based on engine and oil warmed up to operating temperature. This implies a 15-30 minute drive at 45-65 mph. The specification is 13 psi at idle and 36 psi at 2000 RPM. The bypass is based on cold oil conditions and it begins to open at 72-73 psi and oil pressure maintained <80 psi up to 2500 RPM.
I tried an ohm meter - and the circuit shows closed. Added air pressure starting at zero and increasing gradually to 80 psi. No change in resistance.

Repeated with a new switch I just bought. Same results.

Hmmmmmm.

Am I missing something? Reading taken across terminals.

driveable

92 SC2
93 SC2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
97 SL2 - cooked engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2017, 03:41 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yes, read between either pin and the HEX body of the switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
onlinebiker

Happy Re: How do I bench test an oil pressure sender?

Many thanks!

driveable

92 SC2
93 SC2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
97 SL2 - cooked engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!