SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2017, 10:51 PM   #1
coolcat2
Advanced Member
coolcat2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
2002 SL1
Default No Reverse

I was sitting at the light and reached over and bumped the transmission into neutral. The light changed, the engine reved, I pull it back in to drive and the car moved forward as normal. It shifted and the SES light came on. It drove and shifted fine. The first time I parked and returned to the car I started it up, went to back out, NO reverse! It revs, bit doesn't move. All forward gears worked.
I put a different valve body in. Nothing changed! I did slowly back out of the driveway, engine revving, after the valve body change. After that, no more reverse. All forward gears work fine. Both valve bodies were check with a multimeter and all are 5.7 to5.9?
Should I remove the end cover and check the input/output shafts? It happened with no warning and I'm not sure bumping into neutral and pulling it back had anything to do with the problem? Is there a fuse?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to coolcat2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help coolcat2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
coolcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #2
coolcat2
Advanced Member

1996 SC2
2002 SL1
Default Re: No Reverse

96 SC2, Automatic,143K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help coolcat2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:35 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Transmission repair
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...nput+shaft+nut

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112858

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164114

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164115

First link has most of the trouble shooting info.

What is the history of those valve bodies? Detailed as complete as possible as this should be just a VB problem unless it is an internal failure of the reverse servo.

Recommended valve body suppliers:
Contact Special Forces by PM here
Ken Partin here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-PARTIN-C...item2c80fd9280 Call him, don't just order a VB.
Or call these people (Donny IIRC) and mention Saturnfans: http://centralvalvebodies.com/

You have 3 choices and what they supply and what mods are used by each are slightly different as well is your cost. So depending on how long you want the VB to last is a consideration. As an estimate the OEM brand new VB should last 75,000 100,000 miles if the periodic filter and fluid changes are performed.

I would only deal with Central valve bodies if you are planing on keeping the car as you can get the entire Sonnax mod package from them.

Check all the TRS fuses in the UHJB there are 3 of them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat2 View Post
It shifted and the SES light came on. It drove and shifted fine.
You might want to get that code read. A P0732 would suggest the ISN. Reverse is still supposed to work even with a total electrical failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:23 PM   #5
coolcat2
Advanced Member

1996 SC2
2002 SL1

I checked the code. It is P0732. What is the ISN? I changed those three fuses.Fliud is full and changed yearly. When the car is cold it will slowly move in reverse if I reved it up to 3000 rpm. When it's warm there is no difference in rpm when I shift from neutral to reverse.
I have another good value body that I know is a good working valvebody. I try putting that one in. What about the input output shaft nuts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #6
coolcat2
Advanced Member

1996 SC2
2002 SL1

I just replaced the valve body with one from a working car. Still the same problems. Nothing changed. I'm not sure what to do next?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2017, 10:54 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat2 View Post
I checked the code. It is P0732. What is the ISN? I changed those three fuses.Fliud is full and changed yearly. When the car is cold it will slowly move in reverse if I reved it up to 3000 rpm. When it's warm there is no difference in rpm when I shift from neutral to reverse.
I have another good value body that I know is a good working valvebody. I try putting that one in. What about the input output shaft nuts?
ISN = input shaft nut

This is a Reverse LP test.
--Start car and allow it to fully warm up in park.
--Shut off car
--Remove the TRS LP fuse
--Start car
--Select Reverse and see if car moves in reverse normally.

The input shaft nut is a remote possibility

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2017, 11:19 PM   #8
coolcat2
Advanced Member

1996 SC2
2002 SL1

I'll try that. If that doesn't work, I'll remove the end cover and check those nuts.
Thanks guys for all your help.
Merry Christmas
Old Nuc your the best!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #9
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Don't bother with the Output Nut. Maybe some useful info here . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2017, 01:03 PM   #10
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

^^^ can't open the ISN PDF file.

Edit: 8th time it finally opened....must have been the internet connection was flaky.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:55 PM   #11
Veridian
Veridian is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

I have a problem with my 99 sl1 manual transmission that will not shift into reverse, or 5th, while just sitting there idling, but I can not find an option on the page that will allow me to post the question. I realize this is off-topic, but seeing as this is a trans issue, thought there may be someone in here with the patience to direct this half blind, 66 year old dumbass as to how to post a question.
Sent this question to the operators, last night, but no answer as of this time. I am new to all of this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Veridian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Veridian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Veridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:26 PM   #12
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veridian View Post
thought there may be someone in here with the patience to direct this half blind, 66 year old dumbass as to how to post a question.
Go here > http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39

You will see a "New Thread" button on the left margin.
Click that and put "Man Tranny won't go into Reverse" in the subject line.
Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2017, 07:37 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

In case the OP comes back here the problem is likely a worn shift selector tower on the transmission but a thorough inspection of the shifter bushings and shift cable ends is also required. This is not a difficult fix once you find out what has worn out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2017, 08:23 PM   #14
Veridian
Veridian is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Thank you for the help, Chazberry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Veridian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Veridian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Veridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:45 PM   #15
coolcat2
Advanced Member

1996 SC2
2002 SL1

During the inspection I discovered the waterpump was bad.
Today I replaced the waterpump and tightened the input shaft nut. It was loose. I spilled transmission fluid all over my driveway. Went for a small test drive to get cat litter to clean up the driveway with
It shifted a little rough, but reverse is back! I figured the pmc needs to learn.
I live in a mobile home. I returned and parked my car in the driveway of any empty lot so I could spread the cat litter in the driveway.
THEY FRICKEN TOWED MY CAR!!
It was there a whole 45mins.
The tow company roams the mobile home park looking for victims!
I tried to pay the driver to sit it back down and save towing it across town and charge me for it. He said it has to go to the yard.
Cost to get it back?
Tonight (afterhours) $387
Tomorrow (during business hours) $278
Plus the ride there!
I'm so pissed right now!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2017, 11:23 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You are not having a good day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!