SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
gen3thirdowner
gen3thirdowner is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Fumes leak into cabin

Long story short my flex pipe had to be completely replaced so I threw a straight pipe on there. After a radiator leak and inhaling a combination of antifreeze and exhaust I had enough and replaced that aswell. Now I get a faint gas smell on start up at least once and I still have enough exhaust in my cabin it's noticeable mileage is 278k not like it matters.

I did see a gap in the manifold that I will seal with some muffler weld but I was curious if there was any other potential common issues? Everything is pretty much OK I check most of the car out now and again.

Thanks for the help guys I don't have enough to get a different vehicle and at this rate with the help I have received I will likely get another s series and drive that another 300k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gen3thirdowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gen3thirdowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gen3thirdowner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Fumes leak into cabin

Man, if you cannot repair it properly quickly, then get it to someone who can.
Breathing carbon monoxide WILL impair your ability to think and will kill you..either through the fumes themselves, or passing out and hitting someone or something else.

Muffler weld and such is no substitute for a genuine repair.
In my state, the autoparts stores sell that stuff, but if you are caught (state inspection, etc) you are in big trouble.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
Clayton91
Clayton91 is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2

It would be worth it in the long run to just to a proper fix, small cheap fixes normally lead to big expensive problems at the worse possible time.
Don't want to pass out driving on the highway and slam into a baby hauler, even if you live your in Deep.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Clayton91's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Clayton91 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Clayton91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Borrow a car to go buy a $100 110v mig welder, throw a 2lb spool of $15 flux-core wire in it, grab a $20 welding helmet and fix it right the first time. Typical u-bolt clamps are crap compared to actual welding and are no easier to remove after a year's gone by.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Flex pipe, $14. Make sure this is the right size, though

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20010DN-Exh...53.m1438.l2649

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:29 PM   #6
gen3thirdowner

2000 SL2

I appreciate the concern for my health and safety but maybe I wasn't clear the job wasn't done haphazardly and everything related to the area of repair is not leaking its the connection from the pipe to the manifold...

I bought the proper walker pipe and wasn't satisfied with its fit to the manifold. Here in Michigan we have no inspections and I really don't care to properly fix a car that's falling apart due to the previous owner lying about repairs as it only needs to make it through the season and will be a parts car for an SC that doesn't have this mileage or problems.

I have someone who can weld but that won't be for awhile so I have that planned out but unless I weld the pipe to the manifold where it bolts I guess I will have to live with it and not turn the air on at stops until I have a greater idea as to where it's coming from as no one I know has an inspection wand or anything else helpful

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gen3thirdowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:17 PM   #7
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Hey, it was you who said that you still smell gas (exhaust gas, not raw fuel, right?), and you also said "I really don't care to properly fix a car that's falling apart..."

The title of your thread is Fumes leak into cabin.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:41 PM   #8
gen3thirdowner

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Hey, it was you who said that you still smell gas (exhaust gas, not raw fuel, right?), and you also said "I really don't care to properly fix a car that's falling apart..."

The title of your thread is Fumes leak into cabin.....
Sometimes exhaust sometimes gas. Today it was more gas vs me sitting there and smelling the oil burning

While I appreciate the response you just seemed to be very blunt regarding my situation and unfortunately on the internet it's hard to tell if you left an aggressive comment or if you are giving genuine advice.

You don't know my budget or the amount I have put in only to have problems based on mileage so when I say I don't care to fix it properly I mean it if I didn't I would have bought a flex pipe assembly and paid someone to weld it on... Driven the car without the flex portion for a year...

Another user suggested me BUYING a welder which I have no experience or the capital so I don't care to waste money when I can wait on someone who has a welder and knows what he is doing.

Again I appreciate the responses I am here after searching other threads and forums for that matter to try and understand if there was more to me just fixing the flex portion. Maybe the car has another common leak spot, maybe it's leaking at the manifold in which I await with patience a suggestion because a gasket isn't going to solve my problem.

I have heard of the fuel system having leaks around the back seat is this common? We live in a salt state and by the water to boot so when I say 300k miles it might as well be doubled in wear and tear.

Bottom line is I don't know I have done my homework and I have physically inspected portions of the car believed to be suspect and I am unsure as to what to even do next BESIDES getting the pipe welded.. it will happen but not anytime soon my buddy works at Chrysler full time and rarely has time to weld.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-12-2017, 01:40 AM   #9
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

Nevermind

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(CURSED)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-187k currently (August 2018)
Dodging potholes should be a sport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Ah, a clearer picture emerges

Make sure you have the foam oval screen thingie under the passenger rear corner of the hood. That helps filter out a bit.

On the driver side, there are a couple of holes in the firewall - make sure they have their rubber grommets and that a previous owner has not enlarged or torn them (by installing wiring for a stereo, etc).

Down by the shifter cables, up near the brake booster, etc., if there are large holes or gaps, that will let in extra fumes.

Without a flex pipe, the whole system will move enough to loosen up connections, destroy gaskets, etc. So, you think the leak is below the pre-cat, where it bolts on to the pipe? Might be a bad gasket, and if not rusted too badly could be an easy cheap fix.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3thirdowner View Post
Long story short my flex pipe had to be completely replaced so I threw a straight pipe on ........ mileage is 278k not like it matters. I did see a gap in the manifold that I will seal with some muffler weld but I was curious if there was any other potential common issues?
1-Flex pipes are upgrades from older rigid exhaust systems. Placed in (engineered) position, it flexes with engine movement to reduce premature exhaust system damage your straight pipe will cause. And less noise from vibration into the interior along with floating rubber mounts. A straight pipe will flex at the clamps and leak no matter how much exhaust cement is used. Exhaust system flexing from normal engine movement in motor mounts increases the likelihood of more exhaust leaks.

2-What condition are the engine mounts? The top mount, when worn, allows more engine movement, increasing exhaust system flexing on your rigid straight pipe replacement when the flex pipe is the better replacement repair. If worn, replace the top engine mount. There are many threads explaining how to determine a worn mount.

3-Where's the exhaust gap?

A well used engine with possibly worn engine mounts may have flexed the exhaust system into damage. A straight pipe may still leak exhaust gases if the engine moves more than it should from a worn mount. If the engine mount is found worn, replacing it may return a certain amount of stiffness back to reduce the straight pipe flexing at the clamped ends and leaking exhaust.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote