SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2017, 01:03 AM   #1
Cammowgli
Cammowgli is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 Ion starting then immediately stalling

I need some help! I left my Ion stranded today....it will start up but then immediately cut off. Not sure what the problem is....can't even pop start it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cammowgli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cammowgli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cammowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 Ion starting then immediately stalling

Ran out of gas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
BrandenJ865
BrandenJ865 is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same issue. I just bought a 2004 Ion with a supposed bad ignition switch. I have since replaced the ignition switch, ignition lock cylinder and bcm. I went through the 30 minute passlock relearn procedure probably a dozen times now with no luck. The only difference it has made is now the passlock light only blinks three times before going out. Before it was staying solid. I've tried different variations of the relearn procedure, waiting different lengths of time, cursing at it while I was waiting, and literally everything else I can think of. I'm convinced that it has to be something else wrong. I'm going to try replacing the ecm tomorrow. Does anybody have any ideas that might help?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BrandenJ865's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BrandenJ865 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BrandenJ865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Engine computers are far more rugged than home PCs, laptop, Ipads, tablets and cellphones. Try leaving any of them outdoors all year and see if they still work. EFI systems have been around for several decades without reported failures of pcm or ecm. If they do fail, it would be major news all over the world. They don't and the few that do fail are the exception to the rules. Its understandable to relate computers with plug n' play but not with automotive computers. As you know, some require a security relearn procedure to marry ECMs to BCMs GM uses (Passlock). Performing a successful Passlock relearn with security turning off means security isn't the problem. Unfamiliarity with EFI systems gets many into trouble.

Did you check for blown fuses?

Presuming security is disabled to allow starting and running, all EFI systems still run with three necessary items - air, fuel and spark. If the engine turns over (cranks) but doesn't run or runs briefly, checking for fuel and spark might be some first steps in troubleshooting. Fuel and pressure can be checked by depressing the fuel test valve on the fuel rail (black cap covering a tire valve) after ignition is turned on. Fuel should spray out. Spark to each plug can be difficult to test but an alternative method may help; spraying starting fluid into throttle and starting - if spark is generated then starting fluid will ignite in each cylinder to get the engine running.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote