SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2017, 03:34 PM   #1
WrightMan
WrightMan is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
Default Rev Hang

So after doing a burnout or just a hard acceleration I find that when I put the clutch in it could take 10 seconds or more for the revs to drop back down. It just comes down from a high rev really slow. The only way is to change up a gear and release the clutch. Even if I put the shifter to a neutral position and release the clutch it still takes a while. Does anyone have any tips to fix this? I was thinking of trying to clean the sensors and TB but I have heard that will take some time for it to relearn which might also be needed anyway.
Any tips are appreciated!
Thanks!

2004 Saturn Ion 3 Black Trim Headlights, Bluetooth Fogs, and Smoked Taillights
2004 Crown Vic Mostly Modified
2000 F150 Off-Road Mostly Stock
2013 Escape 2.0T AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WrightMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WrightMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WrightMan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2017, 06:01 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Rev Hang

Electric/electronic drive by wire systems uses an electric throttle, electronic pedal and ECM for continuous closed loop feedback. It's no different from conventional cable operated throttle/pedal setups. A simple test to see how well yours works; remove the intake air tube so you can see the throttle plate, have someone turn on ignition, engine off, and exercise the gas pedal while you observe throttle plate movement. Throttle plate movement should mimic pedal travel. Pedal/master, throttle/slave with ECM controlling everything. There should be zero delay between pedal and throttle.

You can clean throttle with a rag soaked in throttle cleaner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:01 AM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Electric/electronic drive by wire systems uses an electric throttle, electronic pedal and ECM for continuous closed loop feedback. It's no different from conventional cable operated throttle/pedal setups. A simple test to see how well yours works; remove the intake air tube so you can see the throttle plate, have someone turn on ignition, engine off, and exercise the gas pedal while you observe throttle plate movement. Throttle plate movement should mimic pedal travel. Pedal/master, throttle/slave with ECM controlling everything. There should be zero delay between pedal and throttle.

You can clean throttle with a rag soaked in throttle cleaner.
The OP's car doesn't have drive-by-wire. The 2005-2007 2.2L Ions have it, but 2003-2004 2.2L Ions still use a cable-modulated throttle body.

As far as the OP's car goes, I know exactly what they are talking about. My 2003 Ion did the same thing. It was very annoying because I often accelerate hard and hold the clutch in to let the RPM drop so I could skip gears when shifting. The engine RPM would take longer than expected to drop and made this practice more difficult to execute smoothly. Unfortunately, I hit a deer and replaced the car with my current 2007 Ion before I was able to resolve the issue.

I would start by confirming that the throttle cable is properly adjusted. Make sure the throttle plate doesn't stick slightly open when the gas pedal is suddenly released. Confirm the PCV and brake booster hoses are in good condition and not leaking. Make sure all the clamps in the air intake are tight and that the filter housing is properly clamped shut. I would highly recommend removing the throttlebody & idle air control (IAC) valve to clean them since it is relatively easy. Replacing the throttle body gasket isn't required as long as it isn't damaged, but I would recommend replacing it anyways since a new one costs under $5.

FWIW, my 2007 Ion does not exhibit the same behavior. The engine RPM drops as expected when shifting.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 176K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 175K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:30 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My bad as I presumed without checking for conventional throttle body or electric ones. Indeed, '04's use a cable operated throttle. With this in mind, I'm wondering if the idle air control valve's sticking. If throttle was never adjusted, meddled, the idle air control valve controls all idle speeds. This makes the iacv a possible problem if it isn't free to open and close on command from the ecm. A sticking throttle plate, linkages or cable may also make throttle stick open against its return spring. Throttle should open and close easily without cable binding. Throttle cleaner can help remove built up crud.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
nickroa95
nickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

My 03 ION uses the same Drive-By-Cable design and I have cleaned out/replaced nearly everything that could cause it. IAC, TPS, Plugs, everything - I'm not kidding! It's just something that is programed to our ECUs for emission purposes. The best "patch" for this is the use of a lighter flywheel - which will certainly help, but not fix the problem entirely. Even one of my friend's ION Redline has the same problem - although IIRC the Redlines all used DBW designs. If our cars were able to be tuned, it's something that could be tuned out of the ECU - but they're not tunable, so it's something we just have to live with

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nickroa95's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nickroa95 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nickroa95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:13 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

While I am wrong about which throttle is used in Ions, I believe the hanging high idle is not a program problem at all. It's something mechanical, electro mechanical or someone meddled with something. As a manually shifted car, every shift demands a drop in rpm so the next (higher) gear needs lower rpm before clutch engagement otherwise the slipping clutch simply wears sooner. My presumptions are always trying to match rpm to the gear selected for near perfect clutch engagement with little jerking and minimal clutch wear.

Replacing parts is easy. Diagnosing and troubleshooting a recurring problem is a little more difficult.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-08-2017, 09:13 PM   #7
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I looked through some TSBs and found one that could be a contributing factor to the problem, even though it isn't intended to directly address the issue discussed in this thread. I've attached it below. The fix is a newer ECM calibration.

TSB_04-06-04-029a_09-14-2004.pdf

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-19-2017, 10:44 AM   #8
WrightMan
WrightMan is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan

The letter mentioned it was covered under warranty but would that still be the case or is that no longer valid since it is out of warranty? I wasn't sure if maybe this was a recall item.
Thanks!

FYI I didn't actually take it all the way off but I checked it out and cleaned it as best I could with the TB still on the engine but it didn't really help.

2004 Saturn Ion 3 Black Trim Headlights, Bluetooth Fogs, and Smoked Taillights
2004 Crown Vic Mostly Modified
2000 F150 Off-Road Mostly Stock
2013 Escape 2.0T AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WrightMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WrightMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WrightMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #9
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightMan View Post
The letter mentioned it was covered under warranty but would that still be the case or is that no longer valid since it is out of warranty? I wasn't sure if maybe this was a recall item.
Thanks!

FYI I didn't actually take it all the way off but I checked it out and cleaned it as best I could with the TB still on the engine but it didn't really help.
It's just a TSB so the re-calibration would be on your dime.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!