SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2017, 08:30 AM   #1
tditto
tditto is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE Red Line
Default Bad ECM?

Started having issues a few months ago. Intermittent, of course. First time it happened, was driving the vehicle in the early morning, and some of the lights on the dash started lighting up, ABS, stabilatrac, check engine, air bag, and a few more. The car started dinging like mad, and the door locks started cycling up and down, up and down. Then it started running funny, like it didn't want to run, and the gauges bottomed out, speedometer, tachometer, gas level, all bottomed out to zero. I pulled over and turned the car off. After my heartrate slowed, I used a code reader I had in the car (due to a prior issue last spring) and cleared the codes. Then drove the car back home. Had it towed to a mechanic, who said my battery had a bad cell in it. Changed the battery. But then about a week later, it did it again. Used the code reader to clear the codes, and it drove fine. This happened off and on, for the last few months. Sometimes once a day, one time 3 weeks passed with no problem. But lately, the code reader has had trouble linking to the vehicle, or cannot clear the codes.

When it started happening, I combed through the interwebs. Found all kinds of possible solutions, one being that the alternator was bad. But I don't think that's the problem. Battery has not died. Personally, I think it's the computer. Even though I read that that rarely fails. But here are the symptoms:

Various dash lights started coming on (always abs and stabilitrac, sometimes reg brake light, always air bag, check engine, mechanical engine...)

Dinging like I just won the lottery

Lost communication with the transmission module code

Transmission control system (P0700)

Lost communication with the fuel pump code (U0109)

Lost communication with TCM (U0101)

Control module comm bus off (U0073)

Yesterday, car went into reduced power mode when all this happened.

When I get the fuel pump code, the car won't start. I have to keep trying to clear the codes, and I've always been able to get the car to run again. But it's getting worse. Took me an hour to get it back up and running yesterday due to not being able to clear the codes or failure linking. Not all codes come back every time. Sometimes, it's a variation. But it seems that different systems are affected different times. I think it is the computer, something that is common to all systems, and affects communication. I have described it to other people, and they've thought it was the computer, too.

I'm hoping someone here has some guidance and advice. Please help. My computer is simple enough to replace, right on top of the battery, but I don't want to waste that kind of money for nothing. So, please..... HELP!!!

Last edited by tditto; 12-05-2017 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: misspellings

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tditto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tditto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tditto is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Bad ECM?

".........some of the lights on the dash started lighting up, ABS, stabilatrac, check engine, air bag, and a few more. The car started dinging like mad, and the door locks started cycling up and down, up and down. Then it started running funny, like it didn't want to run, and the gauges bottomed out, speedometer, tachometer, gas level, all bottomed out to zero."

Indicators are driven by the body control module (BCM), not the ECM. Comm errors are caused by several things including module failure. Engine functions are the role of the ECM. With multiple symptoms, it's easy to presume ECM fault but more difficult to preserve with several modules in our electronically augmented vehicles. There are threads about these issues with one possibly recurring - moisture corroding connector terminals on the bcm that drives most of the indicators. If I'm not mistaken, your bcm is in the driver's kick panel and may be prone to water intrusion. Search threads for this issue to see if this is related to your problems. If this were an ecm problem, you wouldn't have unrelated indicators turning on and flashing at random.

There may be ground connection issues too. Are both main grounds secured and free of corrosion (chassis and engine block)? Other ground connections are in various places and are seen as several black wires entering gray plastic splice packs attached to chassis studs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
tditto

2009 VUE Red Line

Thanks fdryer, but it's not just my indicators. When the fuel pump code shows up, my car won't start. And one thing I forgot to mention in my original post, when all this happens, the transmission drops down to maybe 2nd or 3rd gear, and it won't go any higher. And all this happens together. The display of dash lights, the gauges dropping out, and the transmission dropping to a lower gear, all happen together. Sorry I forgot to mention the lowered gear. Would that still be BCM problems?

The grounds have not been checked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tditto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You're describing many symptoms pointing to more than one module. The modules; ecm, bcm, tcm, abs, airbag, OnStar vcim. Presuming OnStar isn't installed or works, which modules would you like to troubleshoot or replace? The ecm doesn't have indicators to tell anyone it faile. The bcm controls most of the instrument panel indicators. The tcm doesn't have any indicators. The airbag module has only one indicator, the airbag light. The abs/tc has only one indicator, the abs light. The common thread to this mystery is electrical power and grounds before presuming any one or more module failures.

Its your choice to consider the difficulty in diagnosing and troubleshooting this problem, try a specialty shop expert in diagnosing problems or visit GM. This can be a simple or difficult problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #5
tditto

2009 VUE Red Line

Okay, let me ask you this. How likely is it that the bcm AND ecm have gone out at the same time, and act up at the same time? How likely is it that the tcm AND the fuel pump have gone out and act up at the same time? All of these symptoms go off at the same time. Is there anything that is common to all?? That's where I think the problem is. I don't believe that all these different components just started acting like this, like some synchronized mayhem.

What would be involved in the transmission communication AND the fuel pump communication? And make random dash lights light up, and make the door locks cycle over and over? That's why I thought it had to be the computer. Or I guess it could be the grounds.

Thank you SO much for your replies, by the way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The likelihood of two or more electronic modules to fail at the same time is about as likely as guessing in the Kentucky Derby. You can second guess all you want. I don't and use tried and true diagnostic/troubleshooting methods mentioned. Your choice to continue guessing or follow suggestions. Your choice. My personal troubleshooting doesn't cost expensive parts replacement on a guess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
tditto

2009 VUE Red Line

I'm sorry, I wasn't asking for a guess. Sorry if it seemed that way. I was asking if there is one electrical component that was common to all these symptoms. Troubleshooting all the separate symptoms seems like guessing to me, because they all have to be related, not separate. I was just hoping that there was a single component, something to do with the flow of communication, that I could point to as the likely culprit. I'm not a mechanic, as I'm sure you can tell, but logic would seem to dictate something common to all the problems.

I appreciate your suggestions. They've given me more info than I had before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-05-2017, 11:11 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Read post #2 again. There's no guessing when troubleshooting with known methods. If you feel uncomfortable with hands on troubleshooting then you have options - diagnostics shops specializing in unusual problems, repair shops or visiting GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!