SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2017, 12:22 AM   #1
Hackettbr1
Hackettbr1 has a spectacular aura aboutHackettbr1 has a spectacular aura aboutHackettbr1 has a spectacular aura about

Default Randomly Burning Oil

year 97
Model SL
Engine 1.4L SOHC
Automatic Transmission

Occasionally when driving, or just starting her, I burn a ton of oil. no signs of leaks or a bad PCV valve, i dont stall wheb it happens, rpm tends to rise a little though. over the past week I've added about 1qt of oil and it's getting rather expensive to maintain. any suggestions on what could be causing it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hackettbr1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hackettbr1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hackettbr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2017, 01:09 AM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Randomly Burning Oil

Providing maintenance history and mileage would be helpful to other members. BTW, did you really mean to write "1.4L SOHC?"

276,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
DonP1
DonP1 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackettbr1 View Post
year 97
Model SL
Engine 1.4L SOHC
The engine should be 1.9L.

Quote:
Occasionally when driving, or just starting her, I burn a ton of oil. no signs of leaks or a bad PCV valve, i dont stall wheb it happens, rpm tends to rise a little though. over the past week I've added about 1qt of oil and it's getting rather expensive to maintain. any suggestions on what could be causing it?
Without knowing more, my best guess would be the piston rings are letting oil get past and burn up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Occasionally when driving, or just starting her, I burn a ton of oil.
Do you mean your oil burning is not constant - sometimes, you burn very little oil while other times you burn a lot?

Or do you mean you only occasionally check it and it was down a quart last time you checked?

You may want to start an "oil burning log" - put your oil at the FULL mark. Park each night in the same spot on a level surface.

Each morning, check your oil level and note how many ounces are required to bring it back to full (per OldNuc, each diamond on the dipstick is 3.2 oz) and how many miles you travelled the previous day.

This may reveal some oil burning patterns, and will give you some way of portraying how much oil you are using.

Saying, "I added a quart" doesn't tell us anything. . .
If you started off with oil full, drove 200 miles and were a quart down - that's a lot of oil burning. If you started off with oil full, drove 7,000 miles and were a quart low, that's better than most.

(also, don't let your oil get that far down before adding - I check and top my oil weekly, which is about 200 miles, and need to add about 3~6 oz a week of oil.)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Some excellent pointers are made here, and chaos has probably the best suggestions.

As far as where the oil is burning? It could be the rings, as they are known for seizing up. Another area that can cause oil consumption issues are the valve stem seals.

The second one has some symptoms that make a guide for determining which ones(or both) are the culprit.

With worn valve stem seals, you may see some blue smoke at startup, after periods of long braking/deceleration as you hit your gas pedal to accelerate, or small puffs of blue smoke when leaving from a stop. You will also see a steady amount of steam, from the oil fill cap, after removing it from the engine when you have just shut it off from driving.

The rings typically will not produce as much smoke, until you get down to about 1 quart of oil to about 400 miles(or less) or driving. Usually, when the rings are fully damaged, the engine will have blue smoke fairly consistently, throughout the RPM range and driving conditions. Steam may appear from your dipstick, if you remove it to check you oil level per the owner's manual(which is after 5 minutes of sitting upon shut off).

Until you are able to perform a further diagnosis or proper repair, you may try to use lower costing oil. Please note, this will not correct the issue. It will merely reduce the cost of maintaining your oil level, until the correct repair can be performed.

I use Shell Rotella T 10w-30, T4 conventional, as my 1995 SC2 uses 1qt per 100 miles of driving, and a gallon jug retails for $13.99-18.99.

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 142k - Iron Duke w/auto
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 183k - DOHC w/auto 1qt/100mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:15 AM   #6
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2

Maybe I missed something. What kind of driving did you do during the week you mention?

If I'm driving around town, my SW2 uses very little oil.

If I'm, driving on the freeway, the oil usage seems to rise as the engine RPMs increase.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mister_Cee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mister_Cee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote