SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
Problemchildsl1
Problemchildsl1 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
1994 SL2
Default Replaced intake manifold gasket now worse than ever

I have a 2002 sl1 sohc. Just replaced the intake manifold gasket following RC1488's guide. Now the car runs rough 1200rpm ish and shakes badly with clouds of smoke. It does seem to clear up some when it warms up but not 100%. It never smoked before only had a slightly high idle and misfire. Checked spark plugs and the number 2 cylinder had what looked like milky oil in it. I thought I drained the coolant completely before the replacement but I had some leak from manifold when I removed it. Im going to change the oil, but I don't know if the coolant is my only problem or not. Any help guys?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Problemchildsl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Problemchildsl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Problemchildsl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
Mikey722
Mikey722 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Replaced intake manifold gasket now worse than ever

I would do a compression test and make sure you don't have a head gasket leak...also pull the dipstick and see if that looks milky...if so you unfortunately have bigger problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mikey722's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mikey722 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mikey722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #3
Problemchildsl1

2002 SL1
1994 SL2

The oil did look a little milky. I'm assuming from coolant leaking during the intake manifold gasket replacement. I won't be able to do anything till tomorrow though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Problemchildsl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2017, 11:39 AM   #4
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

If it did not do these things prior than you did something wrong.

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #5
Problemchildsl1

2002 SL1
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
If it did not do these things prior than you did something wrong.
Yeah I guess I'm just hoping it's just as simple as the coolant leaking into the cylinders. Could it be I pinched or screwed up the gasket by the coolant passage seal that's causing it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #6
Problemchildsl1

2002 SL1
1994 SL2

Well I was checking the spark plugs again and the wire for #2 easily broke off right at the boot. Local shop had to order the set. I'll have them tomorrow, I think between the two issues and the coincidence in the timing of the events it may be the answer to my problems. With the fuel that wasn't being burned going into my oil pan. I'll check in tomorrow with an update.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2017, 09:00 PM   #7
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

If you did not clean all of the old gasket off of the head then you will end up with issues. The original gasket likes to stick to the head around the studs. On the SOHC intake gaskets that I did I removed the studs to be able to get all of the gasket material off.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:20 PM   #8
Problemchildsl1

2002 SL1
1994 SL2

Ok, so I changed the oil spark plugs and wires. No mix of any kind in oil. Car is producing alot of white smoke exhaust with a lot of liquid coming from exhaust as well. And smells of gas. I can't get any codes read until I buy a reader. I can assume it's a bad injector, sensor, or I messed up that gasket badly, but it didn't change any when I sprayed around the intake. Any thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There is a water passage in that manifold and if the gasket between the water side and #4 is leaking you will be getting a lot of water out of the exhaust.

I think you have a failed gasket replacement issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #10
Problemchildsl1

2002 SL1
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
There is a water passage in that manifold and if the gasket between the water side and #4 is leaking you will be getting a lot of water out of the exhaust.

I think you have a failed gasket replacement issue.
I was thinking the same thing, would that cause the gas smell? And I thought to myself while I was cleaning the mating surfaces, shouldn't there be a separate seal for that water passage?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2017, 08:03 PM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The manifold gasket is the seal for that. This is why you usually have to pull the studs to get the head and manifold clean without dinging it up and if you use a FelPro gasket you do not want to use any RTV on it.

The gas smell could be just about anything right now.

All of those manifold nuts must be torqued in the proper sequence or you may have problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2017, 08:16 PM   #12
Problemchildsl1

2002 SL1
1994 SL2

Quote:
The manifold gasket is the seal for that. This is why you usually have to pull the studs to get the head and manifold clean without dinging it up and if you use a FelPro gasket you do not want to use any RTV on it.

The gas smell could be just about anything right now.

All of those manifold nuts must be torqued in the proper sequence or you may have problems.
So I'm going to redo the gasket asap.
22 torque. Yeah. I don't see how I screwed this up but we will find out as soon as I take it off! I'll let you all know if this solves it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Take your time as the new gasket should have not resulted in the car running no worse than it was before you replaced the gasket the first time. Once a good gasket is in there any other issues can be run down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-03-2017, 01:04 AM   #14
Problemchildsl1

2002 SL1
1994 SL2

So my gasket finally came in and it was terribly bent right by the coolant passage valve section. So first thing tomorrow I'm gonna buy one from auto store then return the bad one. Muwahaha!!!! So either way tomorrow (or later today, technically) I will get to the bottom of this darn problem. On a side note my obd2 bluetooth came in. I can't wait to check the stats on all my vehicles and bike!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #15
Problemchildsl1

2002 SL1
1994 SL2

Ok so. I redid the intake manifold gasket. But this time I took out the studs so I could pull out the manifold and guarantee absolutely clean mating surfaces. I completed the job in about 5 hours. (I got side tracked when I noticed the bracket that connects to trans mount was shattered and I cannot find that part anywhere... help?) So the car runs great. But is still smoking!?!?!? So here is what I'm hoping and praying is the problem: there is water accumulated in my exhaust, which is true. I'm kinda cautious though because I want to let the car idle for a few hours and see if clears it up, but if I'm wrong I don't want to end up with a 2 ton paperweight. I did let it idle and get warmed up for about 5 or so minutes. I had my scanner hooked up and I got no codes not even pending. Anybody have some insight or idea. I thought about taking off exhaust and draining water. I can't believe I forgot to drain coolant before replacing the intake manifold gasket and it caused this much trouble!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-03-2017, 10:37 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Need a pix of broken bracket and year of the car it is on. If it is cold out it will take a while to clear out the exhaust. The trick is to watch the reservoir level. while it is running.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-03-2017, 10:51 PM   #17
Problemchildsl1

2002 SL1
1994 SL2

Quote:
Need a pix of broken bracket and year of the car it is on. If it is cold out it will take a while to clear out the exhaust. The trick is to watch the reservoir level. while it is running.
2002 sl1 auto. It's the bracket that connects front trans dog bone to trans bellhousing, easily seen behind drivers tire. I believe it's #4in diagram, although it super hard to find even that. I live in Florida, is coolant necessary or will distilled water work? Would it be efficient for me to remove exhaust and remove water manually?
Attached Images
File Type: png 46dc121bea15896129c52b857e70070a.png (47.8 KB, 9 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #18
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Problemchildsl1 View Post
2002 sl1 auto. It's the bracket that connects front trans dog bone to trans bellhousing, easily seen behind drivers tire. I believe it's #4in diagram,
#4 in the diagram is on the passenger side, under the crankshaft pulley. You can see it in these pictures

https://sutherlands.com/products/ima...46/6803944.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_o0UpuPBLzgw/TB...0/DSCF0016.JPG

Here's an alternate diagram - I think the top ones are passenger side, bottom ones are driver (trans) side but I've done almost nothing with these mounts, so take with a grain of salt

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #19
Problemchildsl1

2002 SL1
1994 SL2

I meant number 13 >.>
The bracket that connects dog bone to trans casing. .
So I drove around my block today. Smoke is clearing up but now cylinder #2 is missing. P0301. Compression test after work

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-04-2017, 12:35 PM   #20
Problemchildsl1

2002 SL1
1994 SL2

So guys I just had an epiphany crazy as it is with this piss me off I also can you collusion that I am stupid s*** I knew that I got water in my cylinders when I did did intake manifold gasket prepare for placement but you know decency to put oil in my cylinders to get the paper out so the cylinder 2 misfire probably it's starting to get Vapor locked unless I'm wrong I'll find out when I get home and do the test but it makes sense now

REWARD EXCELLENCE!