SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2017, 08:27 AM   #1
Tzfbird
Tzfbird will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 2.2L
Default 2007 2.2 Need Engine Advice

I've had a 2007 2wd with the 2.2 for a few years now. The idle has always been a little rough and I started by changing the timing chain and tensioner. That had no change on idle quality.
Then I found that there is a reverberating pressure coming from the valve cover when the oil cap is removed with the engine running. I did a compression test and the numbers were pretty low around 120psi on every cylinder. So that all pointed to blow by in my book.
Combine this with an oil leak most likely because the crankcase is always pressurized.
I have tried pulling the plugs and soaking the pistons with a mix of Marvel and SeaFoam in case the rings are full of carbon. That didn't really have any effect either.
So at this point I'm debating between doing a rebuild on the engine or else trading it off. I'm not the type to buy from a dealer but after this Vue, I would love to have someone to go after when it turns out to be full of problems.

Is it worth keeping the Vue, or is there any resale value to them to justify fixing it correctly before I dump it?

Feeling better about yourself step #1: Having the people who think they know everything show you how much they think they know; only to end up failing and then denying the failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tzfbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tzfbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tzfbird is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2017, 10:33 PM   #2
Tzfbird

2007 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2007 2.2 Need Engine Advice

No need to reply. Talked it over with the wife and it looks like it's getting fixed. Between Rockauto and Stockwiseauto (main bearing set for only $60!)
I can have a full gasket set, rings, rod&main bearings and head bolts on my doorstep for $250. Depending on what the shop says regarding cylinders and crank journals it should be a quick rebuild. I wish I knew exactly what is wrong but there is no good reason to have positive crankcase pressure.

Has anyone used DNJ or Enginetech parts with long-term success?
Thanks for the help.

Feeling better about yourself step #1: Having the people who think they know everything show you how much they think they know; only to end up failing and then denying the failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tzfbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #3
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

It's a 10 year old vehicle. If a little rough idle is the problem, I would just keep driving it. You threw a timing chain and tensioner at it with no improvement. What makes you think some gaskets and bearings will be any better? Maybe take it in to a shop for an actual diagnosis before throwing more parts at it if the idle really bothers you. Could be one of a number of things related to ignition, fuel delivery, emissions. People have rebuilt an engine only to get the same issue as before, only later to find things like a bad MAF sensor, fuel pump, or coil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #4
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

If it was 120 across the board one has to ask. Did you use proper technique on the test? Injector fuse pulled, throttle blocked open, etc.
If not you're tossing your $$$ down the drain. BTW the bottom end of the 2.2 is a pretty robust little beast. Not prone to issues. The timing chain on the the first gen of the engine is the big trouble point. You supposedly "fixed" this
Rough idle can be very simple so KISS. Start with all the simple stuff and also take a look at other early EcoTec engines and see how they idle. You may have a perfectly normal engine and be too picky about it.
The one I had was pretty smooth but not as much so as say a Toyota. You can balance a coin on my 4 cyl Highlander's valve cover. But then it's a yota not a GM. I will say though the Vue I had made a pretty good showing of itself

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
Tzfbird

2007 VUE 2.2L

I'll expand upon my logic behind a rebuild since I apparently left out most of the details.

1. The crankcase is under pressure and will blow oil out of the fill on the valve cover if the cap it's removed while the engine it's running. I've actually had oil in my face once when I thought I would top it off quick without turning it off first.

2. It leaks and possibly burns oil to the point where I don't change it, just the filter and keep adding. On several occasions I've let the weekly checks slip and found it to be 2 quarts low after a month.
BTW the leak is between the upper and lower block (crank girdle). Trust me, it's not the filter cap or valve cover leaking. I've even pulled the starter and the leak does come from the side of the block at the point where the two parts meet.

I'd be throwing money away at a shop. I don't trust shops and considering the issue, I would be spending close to what it will cost me in parts just to get a good diagnosis. I'm mot jumping the gun on the rebuild just yet but unless you can explain why both of my reasons are completely normal engine operation then I'll gladly trade since it's no big deal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzfbird View Post
It leaks and possibly burns oil to the point where I don't change it, just the filter and keep adding. On several occasions I've let the weekly checks slip and found it to be 2 quarts low after a month.
So you're spending maybe $60 a year adding oil, but saving $25 on oil changes if you DIY. Net $35 increase in driving expenses. Got to ask yourself, is spending a whole lot more for a rebuild worth it on a $1,000-$1,500 vehicle?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-23-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
Tzfbird

2007 VUE 2.2L

Why replace the roof on your house if it gets damaged then? It's still a roof and the cost of hiding a leak with paint is cheaper than having it replaced.
My point is that if I am going to have something and I have the ability to have it operate correctly then I am going to do it. People have work done on cars that are worthless every minute of every day.

This might as well be a Ford forum if you are going to use the logic of just living with a problem because it's not a big deal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2017, 10:32 AM   #8
atikovi

HAHA, didn't know Ford owners do that. And the roof analogy isn't accurate. Paint will only hide evidence of the leak, won't stop future leaks. And water going INTO your house is much worse of a problem than oil exiting your car. But if you can do it at low cost, give it a shot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #9
Tzfbird

2007 VUE 2.2L

I don't want to stereotype but they are a different breed of people from my experience. I was just hoping to receive more positive reinforcement.

I might be a little off on the analogy but I took your comment as, "just keep adding oil and forget there is a problem".
As for water entering being worse than oil leaving, they will both result in catastrophic failure if not addressed. I just wanted to point out that you implied to just disregard the underlying issue like I did with painting over a water stain.

Generally works out having low-dollar vehicles though because they are cheap to fix or replace. I told the insurance lady "I never buy a car I can't leave on the side of the road."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #10
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Honestly then if the engine is in that poor of shape the machine shop expenses may be not worth it. Frankly I'd find a Vue that was wrecked or such and simply do an engine swap. I think that may be money MUCH more well spent than throwing it into what is pretty obviously a poor candidate to save. I know anything can be saved but odds are you may find by the time you take the components to a machine shop, grind and balance the crank, magnaflux the block and head, reseat the valves, yadayadayada you may be throwing many more hundreds of good $$$ after bad.
BTW no one is knocking you (at least not me) for wanting to "save" it. They do have some redeeming qualities. (not enough to make me switch back to one from a Toyota or the Infiniti QX I had) but some.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #11
Tzfbird

2007 VUE 2.2L

I've been looking at other vehicles but an SUV or crossover can't be touched for under $8k anymore.
As far as picking up another engine, I got this Vue from a fix/flip seller who did an engine change. See what I ended up with?
Frankly I'm waiting to see what condition the bottom end is in and am hoping to get away with a hone and ring replacement. A local machine shop had gave me some good cash discounts in the past. Fingers crossed that continues if needed.

Is there an issue with 2.2 heads I need to watch out for?

I'd convert to a Honda/Toyota type of vehicle but I don't make that kind of money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #12
underthehood
Master Member

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

My Toyota Highlanders did not cost me anywhere NEAR that kind of coin. I could not afford them either then. If you seriously want to change look fo 1st generation Toyota Highlander to stat (2001 to 2007). The very similar Lexes RX is another great place to start though the only engine option therre will be the V6. Nice engine but not easy to work on
Toyota RV4 also geat inexpensive vehicle.
Honda CRV can be found pretty cheap also and like the HIghlander and Rav4 can be found in 2wd models and usually fairly cheap.
If you don't mind it being an actual "truck type" SUV the Nissan Pathfinder/Infiniti QX models are under the radar outstanding SUV's though they are NOT very economical. The QX4 I owned was an outstanding vehicle. rugged, good riding but NOT easy to work on (a simple spark plug change ended up costing me a bunch of med tests because it bruised my spleen) and they are gas hogs. Mine never saw the better side of 18 MPG and mostly hovered around 12mpg. Though I was told the switch from the 3.3 V6 to the updated 3.5 garnered much better economy. YMMV
Anyway there are FAR better choices out there. Another choice would be to find a Vue with the Honda driveline. IMO a FAR better option then the EcoTec or the later model Vue/Captiva with the updated EcoTec 4 cyl. Better built better performing than that 2.2
So just food for thought before you stat throwing $$$$ at that engine you may never see a return on

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2017, 07:50 AM   #13
atikovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
Another choice would be to find a Vue with the Honda driveline.
This 178,000 mile 2004 AWD V6 has been at the local auction at least 3 times and hasn't bid over $700. I'd be tempted to pay $1000 and flip it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #14
Tzfbird

2007 VUE 2.2L

Not sure if anyone on here really cares but I came across this while looking for information regarding the 2.2.

https://www.slideshare.net/JimmyCharly/ecotec

Not sure how trustworthy it is but they list all parts and procedures to build a 2.0 with 600lb-ft and 900+hp

I'd wet myself if I could get half that power and be able to reuse most of the factory parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #15
Tzfbird

2007 VUE 2.2L

From the link above I did a little browsing and found what appears to be appears factory service manual for the 2.2 (L61) engine. Over 500 pages long. Complete with bolt size/thread for every hole in the engine as well as fastener torque, all tolerances and how to inspect/remove/replace all parts during a rebuild. I'm going to read through the troubleshooting via symptoms section and hopefully an easier fix than rebuild turns up.

I know I have seen several questions regarding things like that on other posts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-08-2017, 09:41 PM   #16
Tzfbird

2007 VUE 2.2L

Before I go jumping to rebuilding the engine, does anyone know of a vacuum source I can take a reading from on the electronic throttle body 2.2?
I want to take a vacuum reading in case it's a plugged cat or valve guides/seals causing the problems.

I've looked at the engine a few times but the only thing I've seen is the EVAP port or possibly brake booster line.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #17
Tzfbird

2007 VUE 2.2L

First, there's a capped vacuum port to the right and just below the throttle body.
Took a reading on a hit engine and had rock steady 20" on it. With engine running and gauge on I pulled the oil cap. There was no change but I did notice that it's more of a vacuum on the crankcase than pressure.

So, long story short is that there is nothing wrong with it besides an oil leak. I ran a compression test again and got between 150 and 200 across all cylinders following a 1 hour soak of approximately 2oz Seafoam in each cylinder.

So, I'll see if I can't tear the bottom of the block out with the engine in the car and reseal it. It'll take a few days but beats a rebuild I suppose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!