SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2017, 03:12 AM   #1
bellasoccer
bellasoccer is on a distinguished road

Default l300 timing belt problem

I have an early vin 02 l300 v6.Replaced timing belt with a new gates kit at 100kregular service no noise, At 105k car has developed a timing belt noise under acceleration 2k rpm and above only, not at idle only under load.,the lower idler pulley has belt deposit on it.Installed another new gates belt, new gates tensioner and a new lower idler pulley and still have the timing belt noise under driving load and belt deposit on the lower pulley only. I adjusted the lower idler pulley eccentric to give a some more tension , but the noise and belt deposit is the same.Drove car without serpentine belt to rule that out.Belt deposit is uniform on lower idler across it. The belt is not worn on the edges only on the non toothed side . belt is not rubbing on cover when turning over motor by hand belt runs true. No oil on it.Iam thinking maybe the lower idler pulley originally was not adjustable and the new eccentric ones have changed the belt geometry? My lower idler is more mid stream between the crank and cam 4.Crank end play is within spec.no check engine light.used a cam locking tools all cam marks line up . also added a little more tension to the tensioner no change. Thank you for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bellasoccer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bellasoccer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bellasoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: l300 timing belt problem

Welcome to SaturnFans, bellasoccer!

It's been four days without a respone to your post and I thought that someone else would've replied by now. Oh well... Frankly, I have no idea what could be causing your problem except that, like you, I believe that it must have to do with the pulleys in some way, be it the tensioner or idler. Since the belt is not wearing on its edges you've ruled out an alignment concern. That is something which has come up in the L-Series Forums. Your situation is new, the belt is being worn on its flat side and leaving behind rubber deposits. Could it be that the surface of a pulley is slightly roughened and is thus biting into the flat side of the belt? (Just a thought...)

Have you considered contacting GATES' customer technical assistance line? You may perhaps get some useful information from them.

276,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 11-26-2017 at 10:03 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
GregS&L
GregS&L is a jewel in the roughGregS&L is a jewel in the roughGregS&L is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1995 SL2

I agree with pierrot that you have an unusual situation. It has been about 5 years since I last changed out a timing belt and pulley set, but here are a few things to consider.

1 – In 2002, the tensioner/upper Idler pulley aluminum mounting bracket was changed starting with engine serial no. 578512. Although not certain, believe the engine serial number is the last 6 digits of the VIN number assuming the engine was never changed out. Regardless compare your old/original bracket to the new one to make sure they are exactly the same. RockAuto has the Gates Bulletins with pictures of the 2 different mounting brackets in the 2002 Saturn V6 timing belt section.
http://www.rockauto.com/info/Gates/B...20PA001-11.pdf

2 – Measure the timing belt tension between the lower idler pulley and timing gear 4. It should deflect less than 1 cm at midpoint, which means a properly tensioned taut belt. As you already know, the belt tension between those points is adjusted by turning the lower idler pulley eccentric. If you do change the tension, make sure timing gears 3 or 4 do not move. There is a tug of war interaction between the lower pulley and the upper pulley. Timing gears 3 & 4 are in the middle of this tug of war. The main spring loaded tensioner is set after the upper and lower idler pulleys are set and all timing gears are on the marks at TDC.

3 – For reference it is always a good idea to mark the larger part of the old/original pulley eccentrics to observe their relationships. In my case the upper idler pulley was at about 10 o’clock and the lower idler pulley was at 1 o’clock. The new pulley eccentrics should line up approximately the same after setting the belt tension. There are a few pictures of this in my photo gallery.

4 – Although rare and unlikely, it is possible that your lower idler pulley bearing is suffering from “infant mortality” and beginning to fail. The only way to check for certain is to remove the belt tension and rotate the pulley by hand and listen or feel for roughness.

5 – There is something wrong with your setup if the lower idler pulley continues to make noise as you stated. I changed the belt and pulleys out at 99K miles in 2012. Now at almost 128K miles things are still quiet and the motor runs great. Also the original lower idler pulley on my 2001 V6 was the adjustable type with eccentric – so was the new one I installed 5 years ago. Do not believe that is the issue you are having.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GregS&L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GregS&L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GregS&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
bellasoccer
bellasoccer is on a distinguished road

contacted both gates and skf not much help other than having me replace parts. New belt and new lower idler pulley and new tensioner. My mistake is that I did not take note of the original lower idler if it had the eccentric or not. I used the original plate and swapped out the upper idler pulley and tensioner. belt tension is tight as I have had tighten the lower from 12 1/2 original set up with new belt to tighter 11 o clock after problem.I was under the assumption that the early vin motor like mine had the non adjustable lower idler ? thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bellasoccer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bellasoccer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bellasoccer is offline   Reply With Quote