SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #1
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1
Default Axle shaft removal trouble

I was at the junkyard trying to pry an axle shaft from an sl1 for my car. I have it disasembled all the way to the last step, removing the axle shaft with a prybar. However, i cant seem to get it to pop out. It doesnt feel like its budging and i cant get good leverage without slipping. I am using an 18 inch tekton pry bar.

How do i remove the stubborn axle shaft?

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(This car is cursed)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-170k currently (jun 2017)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #2
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Axle shaft removal trouble

I can't tell you this will work on this particular car but I've had good luck using a wide pry bar as shown on other FWD cars.

The key is to find an area that allows you position the bar so that you can Lever the axle out with a good strong hit on the pry bar with a hammer (Hand Sledge) on the other end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pry bar.JPG (19.1 KB, 2 views)

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

My pry bar basically looks just like that.

I have the axle exposed but the knuckle was still in the way. If no one takes it, i suppose i can try again tomorrow or the day after.

Where would be a good place to put it at?

1999 Saturn SC1(This car is cursed)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-170k currently (jun 2017)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Outer end must be free of the knuckle or it is not going to come out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Jonasan308, tried searching for richpin videos on driveshaft removal?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:39 PM   #6
Jonasan308
Advanced Member

1999 SC1

The outer end is free of the knuckle. As in, the shaft and splines are visible.

I couldn't find anything from richpin. I was also kind of alone with the fuel pump replacement as well. There's 1 video i found thats saturn s-series specific and its... not very great. Should i try a large screwdriver instead? And bring a hammer?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2017, 10:53 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

PM me car info and email address. I'll send the service manual procedures for driveshaft removal. Service manuals use drawings and not very detailed but do mention using a prybar in the appropriate spot. You can determine from drawings where to place your prybar. The key is forcing the inboard driveshaft to pop out of the C-clip that holds it in place on the xmission output shaft. The C-clip serves as a lock to prevent the shaft from sliding out. I'm surprised richpin didn't have a video on this..........

Last edited by fdryer; 11-21-2017 at 11:02 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2017, 11:06 PM   #8
Jonasan308
Advanced Member

1999 SC1

What other info will you need?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2017, 12:39 AM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Year and model. Some feel a simple pm without car info is all I need but ignore the fact that I don't pay attention to who's sending PMs and what car they're asking about, leaving me clueless. I have to search the member's post to find car info. Simple courtesy to add basic car info into PMs so I don't waste time tracking which car belongs to a member.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2017, 01:23 AM   #10
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

FSM document attached.

Use a proper pry bar, not a nail puller and you'll have more luck.

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-3352-P...dp/B000NPR2Z8/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axle remove location.jpg (64.6 KB, 18 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #11
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasan308 View Post
My pry bar basically looks just like that Where would be a good place to put it at?
As mentioned by fetchitfido, a long handle pry bar should always be your first choice. However, since you have a problem with the pry bar slipping, the Wide pry bar has worked for me in several instances. Those C clips can be a bear to pop out of the channel .

A good wack with a heavy hammer on a well placed wide pry bar (On a fulcrum point) has worked for me. You want to lever the axle out with your hit on the other end of the pry bar.

Choose your fulcrum point carefully to avoid damage. A bolt head is ideal in this case if possible.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #12
Waiex191
Advanced Member
Waiex191 will become famous soon enoughWaiex191 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

I used a small hunk of 2x4 as a fulcrum on one side. I also used a nail puller bar.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
The outer end is free of the knuckle. As in, the shaft and splines are visible.

I couldn't find anything from richpin. I was also kind of alone with the fuel pump replacement as well. There's 1 video i found thats saturn s-series specific and its... not very great. Should i try a large screwdriver instead? And bring a hammer?
Must be completely out or it still can not be removed from the car. Depending on what happened to the car that put it into the yard axle removal can be near impossible.

Must be a sharp blow on the pry bar, pushing will not work.

Screw driver is not big enough either. A 2 or 3 pound hammer required. Go to Harbor freight and buy the pry bar set and a metal (brass or steel) hammer, no dead blow hammers here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2017, 07:11 PM   #14
Jeeprz!
Jeeprz! is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Hey Jonasan308-

I noticed your from NE Ohio, are you pulling this from the pull-a-part yard off of W130th in Cleveland? if not you may want to check it out (just don't grab any of the good parts in need! lol).

https://www.pullapart.com/locations/cleveland-west/

That's the yard where I scored most of my parts, the best bone yard setup I've ever seen. All of the cars are up off the ground set on stacked welded steel rims with room to work around and under them.

Another tip if you go there, check out all of the cars that could have your parts before tearing into one. Just because you look under a car and the shaft is gone don't assume someone took it. You may find that someone already did the dirty work for you, I've seen at least half a dozen shafts and all assortment of parts already pulled but they were thrown in the trunk or backseat when the workers clean the yard at the end of the day.

If you do have to pull it, I agree with the others I used a 3 foot hd pry bar if I recall, or even a 3 foot crow bar would work for leverage.

-one more thought, there are a few places around Cleveland that sell used parts already off the cars but I don't recall the names off hand, just google them. That's how I bought my engine cradle, it was rust free from the south and was worth the extra cash so I didn't have to spend hours trying to pull one myself in the yard.

"Officer, turning on your lights and siren just because you lost the drag race is just poor sportsmanship."

"Turtle" the Green 1998 SC2 Auto DOHC 160k that doesn't burn any oil!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeeprz!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeeprz! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jeeprz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:02 PM   #15
Jonasan308
Advanced Member

1999 SC1

The car that i am pulling this axle from is a '97 that is very clean on the inside, underneath, typical rust but nothing to freak out about, and the axles appear to be in decent shape. The car however, has signs of having sat somewhere for a bit.

I guess what i need is a mechanics pry bar. Something i believe i saw at harbor frieght last i went there. I was trying to purchase less cheap tools, but i guess if they will have what i need, ill take it.

I am not speaking of that pull a part, but i have been there before. That yard was massive for the GM section!

The one im going to is much smaller.

I can try to purchase the part i suppose, depends on the price though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2017, 11:49 PM   #16
Jeeprz!
Jeeprz! is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Quote:
The car that i am pulling this axle from is a '97 that is very clean on the inside, underneath, typical rust but nothing to freak out about, and the axles appear to be in decent shape. The car however, has signs of having sat somewhere for a bit.

I guess what i need is a mechanics pry bar. Something i believe i saw at harbor frieght last i went there. I was trying to purchase less cheap tools, but i guess if they will have what i need, ill take it.

I am not speaking of that pull a part, but i have been there before. That yard was massive for the GM section!

Don't get your panties in a knot, Saturnfans.com will help you thru your Saturn adventure,

"97 that is very clean on the inside" - um unless i'm mistaken your not pulling a cup holder, or the elusive arm rest console.

When I did my rebuild it was suggested to me on this very forum "NOT" to go buy a NEW shaft, or they will actually shaft you.

Saturn's were by design, economy cars that went out of production, the aftermarket parts are currently even sheetyier than the factory parts.

"Typical rust", sounds like my ex. Saturn's rust, they just happen to have the unique ability to corrode from the inside out (Just like my ex).

Somewhere on this planet, a former Saturn designer is laughing their ballls off.

"I guess what i need is a mechanics pry bar"

If your shopping HF, and I have nothing against that given our current times, I think I would check out the crow bars myself, you won't have to buy a set and if you get a 3+ footer it should have a wide tail on it my guess would be the bar thickness would be better, it's HF so whatever their specs say I half that, if it taco's on you return it and get your $1.67 back.

"Officer, turning on your lights and siren just because you lost the drag race is just poor sportsmanship."

"Turtle" the Green 1998 SC2 Auto DOHC 160k that doesn't burn any oil!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeeprz!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeeprz! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jeeprz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:14 AM   #17
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

If you want multiple "okay" pry bars I'd go with this 4pc set, if you just want 1 decent pry bar I'd go with this one. Though, given the options...I'd go with the Tekton brand ones HF lists as competitors before I bought another Pittsburgh tool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Tekton and Pittsburgh are probably made in the exact same Asian factory.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:

Good used axles from a decent yard are usually 20-25$ each and the tools you do not have are going to cost abut that much. Axle removal can be a major undertaking in rare cases as all of them neither pop right out or pop right in, most do but there are exceptions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!