SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

Default Bad Brake Rotor Challenge

Post 'em if you've got 'em.
Spotted this beauty at the local Pick n pull yesterday.
I guess the owner liked to have the radio cranked up loud.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0979 (1024x768).jpg (163.1 KB, 61 views)

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2017, 11:10 PM   #2
macbox
macbox is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1997 SC2
Default Re: Bad Brake Rotor Challenge

This is from 2003, it's my 94 SL2 from before I did my own maintenance. You win though, I've never seen anything that bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94 SL2 Bad Brakes.jpg (51.9 KB, 45 views)

#4, 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#5, 1998 SW2m, rebuilt at 126K, Totaled at 205K miles.
#6 1997 SC2a, 179K, Needs a new head.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:49 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Am I cheating by using google to find a few worn out rotors?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brake+rotor1347755845.jpg (79.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg images (1).jpg (10.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpeg NMnYL-223x300.jpeg (27.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg images.jpg (9.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg wmbrake-rotor-wear.jpg (78.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg B97509837Z.120151009145711000GVQB76D5.11.jpg (36.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg img14l.jpg (85.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg worn-out-brake-rotors.jpg (91.2 KB, 21 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:04 AM   #4
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Am I cheating by using google to find a few worn out rotors?
I wonder if the people died in the cars which these rotors were installed on....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

No doubt from states that don't require annual safety inspections. In NY they will fail you if the rotors look a little rusty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
No doubt from states that don't require annual safety inspections. In NY they will fail you if the rotors look a little rusty.
VT started doing that crap this year too. Redefined rust on anything to rot and rot doesn't pass, can't repair frames anymore unless it doesn't look repaired...total joke. Virtually no car that's been here more than 2 years will pass without significant body work

I actually had a '91 K3500 454 4spd manual that the front rotors inner pad surface disappeared, looked nearly new on the outside through the wheel but on the inside it was nothing but 1-sided cooling veins.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #7
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
I actually had a '91 K3500 454 4spd manual that the front rotors inner pad surface disappeared, looked nearly new on the outside through the wheel but on the inside it was nothing but 1-sided cooling veins.
I've had chain store rotors on larger pickups that have cracked either radially, right up the disk, or all around the disk to hub area. Seized calipers where the inside pad is gone and the piston boot is burnt off.
One of the dumbest was an Austin-Healy where the owner had "fixed" a tire rubbing problem by adding longer lugs and placing stacks of washers between the hub and brake drum. He didn't count the number of washers well so the drums cracked when the lug nuts were tightened. Three of four were cracked completely around the hub and bouncing loose.

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I wonder if those states without vehicle safety inspections have higher rates of accidents than states that require safety checks? As a long time allergy sufferer, I was glad when smoking cars burning oil were slowly forced off the roads. No more red eyes when rolling back the sunroof and windows open while sitting in summer bumper to traffic. With 8 million people in NYC alone, that's a lotta cars, trucks and SUVs. I look at my maintenance as insurance when I can skip over very minor bumps in turns at higher than normal speeds while braking and suddenly feel and hear abs kicking in. I don't think that can be done with lack of brake maintenance. I notice more vehicles are tail gating at speed with more traffic so I presume these yahoos are counting on stepping on their brakes to save their asses. That can't be done with poorly serviced brakes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2017, 05:47 PM   #9
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

California has no regularized safety inspections for passenger cars nor light trucks, only bi-annual smog tests are required. I've occasionally seen the CHP set up an inspection stop on Rte. 66 near where I live and simply flag down cars for a random inspection. However, I have no idea what they were examining since they didn't want to check my car.

I have seen - once or twice - a rotor in the condition such as the one the OP shared picture of. These occurred at repair facilities where the car was brought in for brake work. I was stunned to see that a driver could be so lackadaisical about fundamental maintenance and, additionally, so utterly unaware of the fact that their brakes had to be seriously weakened. Such a thing should have been noticed by feel each time the brake pedal was depressed. Oh well....my wife doesn't have much of a sense about a weak or low brake pedal either.

276,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Unfortunately, the irresponsibility of owners to properly maintain their vehicles most likely leads to accidents and when insurance examines them and determines if improper maintenance was one of the reasons for an accident, rates increase until legislation is passed requiring state inspections. By being irresponsible and ignoring personal and public safety when not performing regular maintenance to prevent getting to the point of completely damaged brakes and being a danger to everyone on the road, mandating safety inspections keeps rolling wrecks off the roads. Some may say the nanny state is with us but how does one explain ruined brakes in states without annual vehicle inspections? Since I grew up in NYC, state inspections are the rule and not the exception. I don't recall ever seeing broken axles, broken vehicles blocking traffic in the metropolis I live in and would give credit to mandatory inspections to ensure every vehicle is roadworthy for NY roads. Any breakdowns are towed away to keep the business of traffic moving in this dynamic city. The few broken vehicles making news headlines are from drivers attempting to go thru real potholes and breaking off a wheel and suspension part. Driver inattention and the pothole share equal blame but no one figured out how to sue potholes. The city is liable only if made aware of them and repairs aren't made within something like 15 working days before anyone can file a claim against the city for lack of road maintenance that causes vehicle damage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2017, 01:43 PM   #11
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

While I am no fan of oversized government, I have no qualms about there being a state mandated vehicle safety inspection. This seems like a reasonable responsibility of state government. I'm more than satisfied that there are vehicles which for safety reasons should not be on the road in my state. I believe that bi-annual inspections would be adequate here in CA. Are NY and other Eastern states using annual inspections? Do vehicle owners pay the cost of the inspeciton?

276,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Bi-annuals may be encroaching on the debate of whether over reach by government is necessary or not. NYS requires yearly vehicle inspections for safety and emissions. While some or many may think this is unnecessary encroachment on owner's rights, the safety of vehicles to use the public roads and highways of New York State simply over rules anyone's rights of how they should maintain their vehicles. We're not discussing polished paint. Brakes must be in working condition (inspected for wear), wipers actually wipe, all lights in working condition, turn signals operating, brake lights working, rear license plate light operating (I couldn't pass last year because of this and simply replaced the bulbs), wheels and tires with tread, suspension parts not loose, etc. Normal for most of us that perform most diy repairs. If a car cannot pass a multipoint safety inspection that's considered reasonable and deemed fit to drive on the public road system in NYS state then the vehicle isn't given a sticker and banned until repairs are made and re inspection determines a vehicle is roadworthy. No muss no fuss as long as a vehicle meets minimum safety standards. I'm sure no NYS licensed inspection station will put a NYS sticker on a vehicle with any of the given images I posted. Every NYS licensed inspection station is registered with NYS DMV so every sticker is traced back to wherever the inspection station is located. No inspection station will ever risk their business to look the other way. Not having a working rear license plate light failed my car and the choice was for me to repair it, have the station repair it or take my car elsewhere for repair. I quickly let them try but when they struggled to remove severely corroded screws, I took my car home and spent a few hours to repair and replace the lamps. I brought the car back the next day and a new sticker was put on. No extra fees.

NYS annual inspection encompasses vehicle safety and emissions so it can take as little as 1/2 hour if everything goes right for safety checks. Passenger cars - NYC OBD II testing fee is $27, safety inspection fee from $6 to $15. All NYS vehicle owners pay for inspection and emissions tests. The few inspection stations I visited over the years are courteous enough to give me a heads up when something is wrong to allow me to decide who repairs the error.

Last edited by fdryer; 11-22-2017 at 02:36 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2017, 10:58 PM   #13
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I wonder if those states without vehicle safety inspections have higher rates of accidents than states that require safety checks? As a long time allergy sufferer, I was glad when smoking cars burning oil were slowly forced off the roads. No more red eyes when rolling back the sunroof and windows open while sitting in summer bumper to traffic. With 8 million people in NYC alone, that's a lotta cars, trucks and SUVs. I look at my maintenance as insurance when I can skip over very minor bumps in turns at higher than normal speeds while braking and suddenly feel and hear abs kicking in. I don't think that can be done with lack of brake maintenance. I notice more vehicles are tail gating at speed with more traffic so I presume these yahoos are counting on stepping on their brakes to save their asses. That can't be done with poorly serviced brakes.
It's the Wild West in Michigan. No vehicle checks what so ever and we have the great "no fault" insurance laws which gives us some of the highest rates in the USA. If you get in an accident, there's a 1 in 5 chance the driver won't stop because they don't have insurance. Cars with catalytic converters cut off is business as usual - you can smell the raw fuel idling at traffic lights in poorer areas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote