SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #1
wildrevolt13
wildrevolt13 is on a distinguished road

Default Newbie here. SW2 a/c failure.. what are my options?

Hi all, Iím a newbie and just looking for some advice. Iíve been driving a 2000 SW2 for three years and in May of 2016 the a/c died on me. I have no experience with cars so I tried some simple attempts at getting it going again but no such luck. It blows air but itís not cold or even cool. I paid a neighbor $35 to put in a can of freon hoping it was just low, but that didnít do anything. He said he thought it was probably the compressor. I tried fiddling with the fuses after watching a how to video on YouTube but again, no such luck. Finally I brought it to Pep Boys for a free a/c check but all they did was tell me that thereís definitely freon in there but they donít know how much.

I live in Florida and Iíve been driving without air conditioning for over 500 days and I think I may lose my mind if I have to keep driving like this any longer. Pep Boys said if it is the compressor that they canít just replace that, they have to replace all the lines too. They said that would cost somewhere around $1200-$1400 for parts and labor. If I had that amount I would just buy another cheap car that currently has functional a/c. It has 190k miles, but only just over 3k are from me. Going from always having a new car to this one has been an adjustment but I became disabled by an injury and could no longer afford that. If I could just get the air conditioning up and running again I would be in heaven. Are there any other small things I can try? Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wildrevolt13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wildrevolt13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wildrevolt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #2
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1
Default Re: Newbie here. SW2 a/c failure.. what are my options?

I am currently in the same boat that you are in with my SC1. However.... it is 34į here so no need for that.

You may want to shop around and have other, reputable places look at it. And uh, refuse any other repairs unless you see that something needs to be fixed and you decide it should.

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(This car is cursed)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-170k currently (jun 2017)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:07 AM   #3
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

If the system is still sealed (and now likely with too much refrigerant) there is likely no need to replace the A/C lines when replacing the compressor. Flush the lines, replace the compressor and evap canister, replace lost PAG oil, and recharge the system is likely all that is needed.

The caveat would be if the compressor had catastrophic failure and the lines have shrapnel in them. You'd know this when flushing the system. If the lines have shrapnel in them then you're likely into replacing some other components too.

However, from what you've stated it sounds like it went out quietly which would indicate compressor clutch failure. This is a common failure from what I've experienced.

If having the compressor and evap canister replaced by a shop you are still in for a few hundred dollars. They have given you a price which is based on the worst case scenario. They don't really know until they open up the system.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Does your disability prevent you from doing any work at all on your car?

Richpin has AC troubleshooting videos - here's pt 1 of 2, specifically for the Saturn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMM80xlon3U

If you can't do the work yourself, finding someone who would charge a reasonable rate for labor (e.g., not your neighbor) and knows what they are doing (e.g., not PepBoys) and having them watch the videos first and follow the troubleshooting steps may be the way to go.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #5
wildrevolt13
wildrevolt13 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all so much for your replies! I am able to check under the hood, I just canít stand there for too long or get underneath it. I watched the first Richpin troubleshooting video, I donít have any of the tools he uses like the meter but I did go check to see if the belt he mentions in the beginning (the clutch?) is moving and it is. I took a short video but it wonít let me post the full url. Only the first part is missing- ://youtu.be/ajAMW1fwFT4

Is that good or bad news? Iím not sure what to check next as the rest of the video goes over what to look at next if the belt isnít moving. Iím sorry if Iím not making any sense, I really really donít know what the heck Iím doing. Thank goodness I did under the hood though.

I checked the oil dipstick and omg thereís almost nothing in there. First thing tomorrow Iím going to Walmart and buying some oil. I read 5w30 would be the best option for this car? I see online that Walmart has a Pennzoil high mileage one, would that be good? I canít believe it is THAT low and I didnít kill the car. My Uncle is the one who sent me the car from NY and he said they just did an oil change on it. Iíve only put on like 3200 miles since I got it and I had the same neighbor check it not that long ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wildrevolt13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wildrevolt13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wildrevolt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The drive belt turns all the time so the AC compressor is either not turning or turning. The way to tell when AC is turned on - look at the center portion of the compressor. Is it turning or not along with the drive belt? The compressor pulley is basically an idler pulley that turns along with the drive belt. When AC isn't used the pulley still turns (idles). When AC is turned on, the compressor electric clutch engages the center plate covering the front of the compressor and turns at the same speed as the belt. Either the clutch plate turns out not. What do you see?

Repairing AC will not be easy if you're not familiar with vehicle AC systems, diagnosing and troubleshooting. If you insist on learning, there will be a steep learning curve as you will have to follow certain steps to determine whether or not you can go the full distance or replace parts and leave the final steps to a shop, saving money compared to paying someone that's basically lying. In hot states where AC is needed, very few members found honest repair shops where most quote what you have from places like pepboys. If you are serious about repairs to save money, you'll need some skills on AC troubleshooting and basic tools. You haven't described in details yet what's wrong other than not having AC. Answer the question whether or not the center clutch plate turns before proceeding with more discussions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
craftsman70
craftsman70 is on a distinguished road

I was in that same boat a few years ago and had Sears Auto replace the compressor for about $700. It pained me to put that much money into it. If I were to go back, I'd find a small local shop that would probably save me a few hundred. That said, it sounds like you just may need a new clutch on the compressor. They are replaceable, but most placed just want to replace the entire compressor. If I were you, I'd try to find a small, honest shop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to craftsman70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help craftsman70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
craftsman70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Beware of jumping to conclusions about the most expensive parts most repair shops would have anyone believe is faulty when nine times out of ten it isn't the problem. Compressors don't fall unless amateur diyers attempt home repairs like store refill kits or replacing parts without all the equipment needed for restoring AC back to factory condition. I can state this as I and a few here have acquired equipment over the years to make full repairs without paying anyone for labor and marked up parts. Unfortunately, many places including dealers will convince anyone major repairs are needed. This is all about business and profits, not about customer concerns. Personally, I'm on my third repair to my L300 and the original compressor is still running. Damaged condenser coil (leak), damaged high pressure hoses (leak) with dye showing tell tale markers illuminated with an inexpensive uv light makes it easy to find 98% of vehicle AC problems. Very rarely has a compressor or clutch failed and when they do, are found with simple tests.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote