SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
peterwo2e
peterwo2e is on a distinguished road

Dizzy new water pump/oil in coolant

hi,
i just finish paying 350 bucks (labor only) to have a new water pump install in my 2004 vue 3.5l Honda engine. i bought the pump and timing kit comes with belts etc. the mechanic also told me he put 2 gallons of special coolant just for this engine.
after driving for about 1 hour i notice the coolant surge tank has oil. to me it looks like either he put dirty coolant from a oil catch can or oil is leaking into the coolant. i check my oil and its normal. is there a possibility that this comes from the water pump area or this coolant is really special?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to peterwo2e's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help peterwo2e reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
peterwo2e is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2017, 09:30 PM   #2
Mr Toad
Mr Toad has a spectacular aura aboutMr Toad has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: new water pump/oil in coolant

No such thing as “special coolant just for this engine”. This engine used DEX-COOL as most all GM vehicles do.

2005 Saturn Vue
Front Wheel Drive
3.5L V6 Engine
5AT Automatic Transmission
160,000+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mr Toad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mr Toad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:40 PM   #3
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Did you have the pump replaced because it was overheating before? If so the head gaskets may have been bad. Or maybe the mechanic forget to put coolant in after the job and blew the head gaskets. Regardless, if you supplied the parts, chances are the mechanic will disavow any responsibility.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:38 AM   #4
peterwo2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
Did you have the pump replaced because it was overheating before? If so the head gaskets may have been bad. Or maybe the mechanic forget to put coolant in after the job and blew the head gaskets. Regardless, if you supplied the parts, chances are the mechanic will disavow any responsibility.
it never got hot on me i had it replace when i saw a small drip leak coming from the water pump seal. the mechanic was still working on it when i went to pick the car up so he never had a chance to test it out. i would like to think that he put my old coolant contaminated with oil back in my truck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help peterwo2e reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2017, 07:39 AM   #5
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

OK but how did it get contaminated with oil? And so the mechanic lied about using new coolant?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #6
peterwo2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
OK but how did it get contaminated with oil? And so the mechanic lied about using new coolant?
yes he probably did lie about new coolant. if so then the coolant catch pan he use to collect my old coolant probably had some oil and he mix it in with coolant then he pour that back into my vue. i could live with this slime move but i hate to think the oil is coming from the water pump area. either way im going im calling him back and let him know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #7
atikovi

Probably won't hurt anything and flushing the system 4-5 times with water and a cleaner should get it out, but maybe look for another mechanic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2017, 09:38 PM   #8
BobWolf
BobWolf will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L
2002 SL2

1) Buy the following. 1 bottle of Prestone or Peak system flush, 2.5 gallon drain pan, 2 or 3 5 gallon buckets with lids, 2 gallons of NEW antifreeze, distilled water, a new thermostat, pressure cap radiator hoses, and enough bulk heater hose to replace the heater hoses. Its not a bad idea to rent a pressure tester from Advance or Autozone.

2) Drain the coolant from the radiator, engine block, and surge tank. Best way to drain the block is to remove the plug in the block or the lower hose off the radiator. RECOVER THE ANTIFREEZE AND FLUSH LIQUIDS AND DISPOSE OF THEM ACCORDING TO YOUR LOCAL REGULATIONS Put the old antifreeze and flush water in the buckets
3) Fill with 1 bottle of Prestone flush and clean water; tap water is OK for flushing. Drive the car until warm, WATCH THE GAUGE you don't want to overheat the engine. Shut down the engine and let it cool until warm to touch. When cool drain the radiator, engine block, and surge tank.
4) Refill with water, drive until warm, use the pressure tester to check for leaks, let cool warm to touch, drain the radiator, engine block, and surge tank.
5) Replace the thermostat, radiator hoses, heater hoses, and pressure cap.
6) Refill with 50/50 mix of antifreeze and DISTILLED WATER. Use distilled water dont use tap water as the minerals in tap water reduces the antifreeze ability to do its job.
7) Check for leaks and top off as needed when cold. It might take a couple of heat cycles warm up and cool down to purge out all the air in the cooling system.

Last but not least hand the bill to the hack, and demand reimbursement.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
Benjamin Franklin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobWolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobWolf is offline   Reply With Quote