SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2017, 07:51 PM   #1
Cavell
Cavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default V5 hitch?

I pulled a class V hitch off a boneyard vue today. 04? It has 2" receiver vs the usual 1-1/4" I am familiar with. Probably pulled 4 in the last few yrs. people always seem to buy them. Our yard charges $10 and I get 50 for them. This one is heavy. 3" cross bar? Why do they make a V5 for a wimpy vue when a class 2-3 seems to work fine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2017, 08:47 AM   #2
Cavell
Cavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: V5 hitch?

Got lucky. The 2 rear bolts by license unscrewed with no issues. The 4 side bolts usually come off ok without great effort since they are threaded into an area of frame with protection from salt spray so they don't usually rust badly. I was talking to another guy and had all the bolts removed but the 2 side bars were holding hitch to frame. He asked how I was doing and I whacked hitch with my breaker bar and the whole thing dropped straight down. Ta-da, there you go. Now, how do I get those 2 license bolts into my current vue? I always leave the 2 license bolts because I cannot figure out how to get them out. Oh, there was vue # 2 next to this one in yard and both had hitches. Good odds

Last edited by Cavell; 11-19-2017 at 08:52 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You're in a better position to judge why people use larger towing attachments than a vehicle is rated for. I don't tow but I can guess. Notice the craze when many suv owners dressed up their vehicles with chromed brush guards on the front end, rear chromed brake lights? 99% of the ones I see in very 'rugged' NYC potholed roads and streets never see real off road driving. These are the same drivers avoiding puddles with suv clearance higher than cars. All dressy and will never venture off road and (horrors!?) scratch their gleaming new car paint. Oh and they're most likely to get stuck in snowed in parking spots with wheels spinning. Maybe it's just a New York thing. I haven't seen a Vue towing a yacht or large boat, full size camper, trailer home. Occasionally I see a full size pickup truck hauling a horse trailer from out of town but my guess is these drivers tend to know what's needed and use the right vehicle, towing attachments (some with fifth wheel) and haul big loads. The tow hitch may be another dressy item too for New Yorkers.

Is it possible for people to just want bigger when a wimpy looking hitch doesn't look manly? As a New Yorker, I see tow bars as the best thing to make your mark on people parking too close to your rear end with zero room to get out of a tight parking space. Yes, there are Maseratis, Jaguars M-Bs and beemers parking on NYC streets. On second thought maybe I should think of adding the biggest and baddest looking tow bar on my L300..... I might get a little more wiggle room in parking spots. A nice rusty one to show usage. It's all about appearances in NYC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #4
Cavell

2003 VUE 3.0L

i sold the muffler today and the buyer offered 30 for the hitch. i got the hitch and muffler yesterday. its worth more than that. was going to put vue hitch on my kids vue so i can pull my neighbors trailer to the leaf dump. but now i will use the muffler money to buy a hitch for my taurus. i looked at one at a yard on friday and it looks good but none was there to take it off the car. it was 4pm, they are going to yank it tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
Cavell

2003 VUE 3.0L

sold the hitch. going to pick up the taurus hitch today. it is a nice hitch though

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #6
WrightMan
WrightMan is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan

The 2 inch hitch offers better stability for more than just towing power. They are often times a good attachment point to pull someone out of a stuck position given that they mount to a solid point and in most cases mount to many areas to spread out the strain. Also if you use a rack or bike carrier the 2 inch is better since it is just stronger and won't wiggle as much.

Tow ratings are advised capacities but I have gone far above them without issue on my Ford vehicles. With a smaller hitch that only connects to the vehicle with minimal bolts to smaller sections I would stay within the limits but if what you are mounting to is strong then go as far as you want. I have had 3200 pounds in the bed of my truck pulling a car hauler with another 18000 pounds to a scrap yard which is how I know the weights and that was with a F-150 that was all stock except a worked over engine and the truck barely sat below level and never had an issue. By all means I would not suggest ever doing this or anything else that might damage anyone else's vehicles but I just enjoy testing abilities and kind of wanted to find the breaking point. Granted hitting the brakes was a bit sketchy and I ended up having to down shift to slow down too but that's another story.

Anyways... Hitch size is mostly objective to what kind of receivers you are using and other items you put in the hitch which 2 inch has the most options just because they are the most common given almost all pickups and larger vehicles have them.

2004 Saturn Ion 3 Black Trim Headlights, Bluetooth Fogs, and Smoked Taillights
2004 Crown Vic Mostly Modified
2000 F150 Off-Road Mostly Stock
2013 Escape 2.0T AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WrightMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WrightMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WrightMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:07 AM   #7
DrewsBrews
DrewsBrews is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

Class 1 and 2 are 1 1/4"

Class 3+ are 2"

You sure it was a class 5?

Probably half the aftermarket receivers for the vue are class 3-4, 2".

It's more of a preference thing as you can easily adapt a 2" down to 1 1/4", but there are less options to go up. Also 1 1/4" accessories are typically more light weight/car oriented. If you want to use the more rugged accessories the 2" is the way to go.

It's like using a 2" ball coupler on a 1000lb capacity trailer. 1 7/8" coupler can more than handle it, but 2" has largely become the default standard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DrewsBrews's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DrewsBrews reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DrewsBrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:27 AM   #8
Cavell

2003 VUE 3.0L

label said class V. i have removed 3-4 vue hitches and all were class 2 or so and all had 1-1/4" receiver. the cross bar on those were 2.5" approx? this class V was 3"+ and easily felt heavier. i found 1 receiver on a junkyard truck that i could remove. i dont think i even saw 1 receiver with a 1-7/8" ball. q found alot of ones that were rusted solid though. it had a 2" ball which i didnt really want since my trailer is 1-7/8". but our yard includes the hitch and receiver for 1 price. 10$

REWARD EXCELLENCE!