SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2017, 07:09 PM   #1
adam22
adam22 is a jewel in the roughadam22 is a jewel in the roughadam22 is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Vue Maintenance

Few questions after taking the car in for service yesterday.

I wanted the oil changed and tires rotated, plus a leaky rear tire patched. Shop wouldn't patch it, said it was in the tread but too close to the sidewall to do. This was at a AAA car care center. Should I try somewhere else or cut my losses and opt for four new tires? The back two have more life on them, and one tire in the front has a plug, so if this couldn't be fixed (and I'm tired of filling up with air once a week), it would pretty much only make sense to replace all four. I was hoping for 20k more out of these.

Secondly, the serpentine belt was recommended for replacement. The car as 152k on it and I purchased with 95k and have not replaced it. It may be original. It looks a little cracky, so I'm thinking this is legit. Does that sound right?

Lastly, the shop indicated the A/C compressor needed replacement as there was fluid leak near it. The A/C blows colld but I haven't visually inspected it yet. Is it possible there is a cheaper fix to this leak? The quote for the part was $500 plus $300 in labor. That's pretty damn expensive. Does this sound right?

I'll be taking for a second opinion, just wondering if you guys had any thoughts for me.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adam22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adam22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adam22 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
SylenThunder
SylenThunder is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Vue Maintenance

For the tire, you absolutely want to replace it. If your other tires are ok, you might see if a shop has a used tire in the same size.

The serpentine belt is something I would recommend as well. Especially if you are starting to see cracks in it. Having that blow out on the road is not fun at all.

The pricing on the compressor sounds about right. It may be repairable without having to replace the entire compressor though. I would get another opinion on that. Did they actually perform a leak test, or are they just "eyeballing" it?

2004 FWD, Vti, 2.2L
Custom CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SylenThunder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SylenThunder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SylenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:39 AM   #3
adam22
adam22 is a jewel in the roughadam22 is a jewel in the roughadam22 is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Vue Maintenance

It was almost certainly an eyeball test on the compressor.

I was once on the side of the road with a failed tensioner in my SL1, so I know that pain.

The tire situation sucks because I canít replace just one, the front two are significantly more worn and one has a plug. I could move them to back but why bother.

I havenít had much maintenance come up outside of coil pack, ICM, plugs, O2 sensor, etc. Weary of spending $1300 and then having suspension or clutch (all are original except lower control arms) fail on me. Probably going to address tires and belt after holiday and then move on compressor next year.

Car is generally fine but I have the Saturn rattles and body damage after someone hit me (itís not dented!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adam22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adam22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adam22 is offline   Reply With Quote