SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2017, 03:34 AM   #1
CarFlunky
CarFlunky is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Tasteful Aftermarket Wheels

I have a ‘97 sc2, and I am looking to get rid of the stock steel wheels that have the plastic hub caps. Does anyone have any good pictures of aftermarket wheels on an sc2, or any suggestions for good and tasteful aftermarket wheels?

Also as a follow up question. There would be a lot more options for aftermarket wheels if I could do a 4 to 5 lug conversion. I couldn’t find any kits online for a Saturn S-series 5 lug conversion. Does anyone know of any sites or companies that do that kind of thing for an Sc-2?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CarFlunky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CarFlunky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CarFlunky is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2
Default Re: Tasteful Aftermarket Wheels

Looking to stay with stock diameter, or thinking of going +1?

Local shops only or buying off internet?

Not interested OEM rims?

Budget, or sky is the limit?

The last SC2 was built 15 years ago, so aftermarket support other than generic or universal stuff is slim

Fortunately, wheels are often universal/generic

Stock is:
  • 15" x 6"
  • 4 x 100 mm bolt pattern
  • 50 mm offset
  • 57.1 mm hub bore
These are on sale for $90 each and weigh in at 14 lbs. If still avaialble when I am ready to buy, might go with these
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...7&autoModClar=

I'd considered the Trofeo for the future, $116 and 14.3 lbs
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...7&autoModClar=

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

If your SC2 has steel wheels, they're not factory-stock. SC2's only ever had alloy wheels from the factory. Specifically for '97, it's #6 here: http://evilplastic.com/wheels.htm

Any of those will fit on any S-Series (along with the various 14" steel wheel options), without issue, unless there's something wrong with the suspension geometry (everything from rust built up on the hub to bent strut/control arm/knuckle).

As for aftermarket wheels, I've always wanted a set of these Eniki WDM wheels.

For the 4-5 lug conversion, the 2nd Cavalier probably has the closest hub/bearing size's to the S-Series. The rear's looked like they'd be close to bolt-on swap which means you could potentially get just the front hub from one and put it on the SC2 in place of the 4-lug hub.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #4
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

With wheels that light, is denting them a big concern? I thought about how they would look on my car but i dont wanna damage them because of potholes. My city is infamous for its crap roads and i feel like id be having serious issues with damage.

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(This car is cursed)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-170k currently (jun 2017)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
If your SC2 has steel wheels, they're not factory-stock. SC2's only ever had alloy wheels from the factory.
Is that true for all years?

My '02 had steel wheels with these plastic covers when I got the car and I've seen them on many 3rd gen coupes (I'm 2nd owner, I think, and I don't think the PO is the type that would go from alloys to steel)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Not sure if it's true for 3rd gen. Could be like the body color mirror drop they did starting in '97.

The OP has a '97 which came with alloys from the factory, no matter what has been put on it now

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
alordofchaos

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
The OP has a '97 which came with alloys from the factory, no matter what has been put on it now
yes, my '97 SC2 has those same wheels. I like the looks of those.

Not keen on the steel wheels on my '02 but good enough for now. The red coupe is a spittin' image of my car (and probably a thousand others ), except I have a white pinstripe under the molded arch along the body and dark rear tint

I don't think I could go 17" like your link . . . like jonasan points out, my state is pretty well known for its killer potholes. I'd stick with 15" up here, might go 16" if I moved a little south.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!