SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #1
SaberD
SaberD is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1
Default HELP!! Passenger door stuck! 01 sc1

So the lock mechanism appears to be broken or jammed. I am not able to fully unlock the door with the key or the handle inside. The door has manual locks and windows.

I removed the bezel from the door panel to ensure the levers are attached to the rods and they are. I was able to pry open the door panel on the inside, but there is no access anywhere near the latch from the inside. I don't want to pry off the door skin and damage it. I'm thinking my only option is to cut a hole on the inside of the door with a pneumatic grinder to get it undone and buy a new door and switch the skin. I'm not even sure if this can be done from inside the door though.

This seems pretty ridiculous that this could happen and that there is no access so you basically have to trash your door if the $5 lock mechanism jams.

Any suggestions on removing the c-clip for the manual window handle?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaberD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaberD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaberD is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: HELP!! Passenger door stuck! 01 sc1

I always used a flat-tip screwdriver on that c-clip. There's at least one tool designed to remove them and I've heard of others using a rag to catch one leg and pull it out.

There is close to 0 access to most of the inner door workings from the inside, it's all from the outside. The little access there is is limited to a few bolt heads you're required to remove to replace the window regulator, lock actuator and possibly the door latch but all those also require removing the outer door skin to get your hands on them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #3
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaberD View Post

Any suggestions on removing the c-clip for the manual window handle?
Here's the tool made for the job and it is relatively easy to make one. I've seen it done using an old CD disk. Just cut a slot in it in the same fashion as the tool.

The second photo shows the shop rag method. You're just trying to catch the arms of the clip and push it off.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #4
SaberD

2001 SC1

thanks for the info on the clips. I have a little usb bore scope camera I got for my phone that I'm going to try to snake down the door to see if I can't get at it with a screw driver from the top.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaberD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-17-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Every collision and repair shop knows how to remove parts without damaging them to have access to other parts. Try YouTube for help and tips many aren't aware of when working on cars. I'm sure there are a few people wanting their face time and thumbs up checks to boost their egos by posting their 'methods' repair shops aren't willing to give away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:42 PM   #6
SaberD

2001 SC1

[QUOTE=fdryer;2259465]Every collision and repair shop knows how to remove parts without damaging them to have access to other parts.QUOTE]

Not true. They have access to every repair manual and hand tool that I do, probably less since I own the car. Many scenarios are not presented in repair manuals and are not repairable. Often times parts need to be sacrificed to fix problems. Body shops don't have experience with every single make and model either.

I'd rather trust what people have to say on forums than what your run of the mill body shop has to say. I've already exhausted every other form of research including youtube, other forums, what to do about this problem on other cars, how the latch mechanisms work, etc. This forum is about the last place I can gather more info. I figured I'd see if anyone here might have more ideas. Regardless, I'll post up results once I figure it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2017, 01:25 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ok if you say so. I never knew about the door handle clip except from a collision shop. I never had to remove one even when I bought service manuals over the years before the internet. Since I never had to remove a window knob before power windows, before the internet was invented along with more free info online, the only way to know about door clips was diy the hard way, manuals, asking auto parts stores or finding out thru body repair shops. Despite your arguments, I doubt you'd find this info if the internet wasn't around and had to resort to service manuals, the first place for information on doing it right. It may help to know that someone had to invent a way to hold door handles on without screws so the spring clip was invented. Guess who writes the technical manuals that are 'bibles' to every dealer and diyer wanting to save money by not going to a dealer or repair shop? Body repair shops have access to manuals but they pay for it so aren't giving away secrets. What's learned is passed around until word spreads how to do some things repair shops do all the time. Time is money and they won't spend all day trying to figure out to do something when manuals spell it a out with the correct tools. They buy them and spread the costs on bills since they're in business to make money. Look into any mechanics toolboxes and you're likely to see hundreds of tools bought over the years to make less work and a more efficient mechanic to turn around repairs to make money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
Here's the tool made for the job and it is relatively easy to make one. I've seen it done using an old CD disk.
One of the few times I miss seeing the old, free AOL disks at the checkout lines

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #9
SaberD

2001 SC1

So I got it open. I was able to pry open the back half of the door panel without damaging anything. Never needed to remove the window handle thank goodness. There is a decent size opening in the middle of the inner door frame. After removing both sides of weather stripping, I could just barely see the latch through a sliver. I made sure to light the area well to see what I was doing. I used a long screw driver to reach through the hole to the latch and rotated counter clockwise.

Pic of latch from window gap with screw driver in place:

Pics from usb camera:

After I got the door open and the outer skin off, I took a picture of the mechanism. The red square is the slot I put the screw driver into.

While I was at it, I found out the rod wasn't connected to the outside handle, and fixed that.

So what I figured out was the latch somehow got stuck, and if was able to use the outside handle, I probably could have just pulled it open. Just as a note, the factory adhesive used on the outside of the inner door can be re-activated using a heat gun. It's basically hot glue. I hope this helps anyone else that finds themselves in this predicament.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!