SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2017, 03:58 PM   #1
skydiver
skydiver is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Fuel injector

'92 SC 285000mi. comp 175 178 174 175 rings and valve job at 189000 because of burnt exhaust valve.

I have an issue with #1 injector control.

Much work has been done to come to this analysis.
New plugs indicated no fire on this cylinder ie: still shiny new no indication of combustion.

With engine running (missing on #1) I can cycle the injector with a pigtail and the engine will smooth out.
Engine off, spark plug removed, fuel rail pressured I can cycle the injector and hear pressure release and also gauge goes to zero.

Is there a way to test the wires to that injector?
Or, does anyone have an idea how to proceed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skydiver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skydiver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: Fuel injector

If all you are missing is an injector pulse then you are only left with the injector wiring and the computer. I would try to find a good used one.

These guys have a good wiring diagram for a 1994

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automo..._diagram_1.jpg

Last edited by toggenburg; 11-10-2017 at 06:17 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:03 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If I'm not mistaken, all injectors are powered in parallel. That means every injector has 12v on each side of its connector with ignition on. What may confuse many is one injector wire returns to the pcm as the electronically switch ed ground connection where a switching circuit switches ground on and off to activate each injector. With this ground held open in the pcm for each injector, both sides of every injector connector should measure as battery voltage when the meter negative probe is grounded to the engine block. If you see 12v on every injector connector (ignition ON) the injector wiring is fine. What you don't know is whether or not the individual switching circuit to each injector is faulty (faulty pcm). The easiest way to determine injector failure is simply swapping it with another one. If the faulty injector fails to operate in the other cylinder, the injector is dead. If the new injector doesn't work in the cylinder that has the problem, wiring or pcm is faulty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #4
skydiver

I checked the 12v ignition circuit to #1 injector and it was good. My plan today is to do the injector swap. My hope is that it is partially plugged.

I was hoping someone had a easy way to check the pulsed ground wire before I went to the trouble removing the fuel rail. I am certain that the injector cycles with manual activation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help skydiver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Pink w/Blk stripe is sourced directly from the INJ 7.5a fuse in the UHJB.

The other colors are ground control wires from the PCM ("hack" it to ground to test-fire with key-on). INJ1 use's pin J1-D-16, INJ2 use's 15, 3 = 14, 4= 13 (for the TBI SOHC's this is also their injector wire location).

Blue connector at the PCM, with the plug latch on the left, row C is on the latch side and D is the other; pin 1 is on the bottom and pin 16 the top (should be marked on the connector as well but its usually hard to read).

Sounds like there's a faulty connector either on the injector or on the harness rather than a wire problem if resetting the connector activates the injector. The washer fluid motor connector should be a nearly direct swap, only wire color difference, if you don't want to buy a brand new one or go through the hassle of pulling a injector connector from a junkyard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #6
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

There are two easy ways to check for pulsing at the injector: use a "noid light" or the voltmeter. The drive (grounding) wire should read 12VDC, same as the other one, at KOEO, then start pulsing when the engine is cranked or running. This pulsing may be easier to see using an AC voltage range, and will be fairly low. You can read AC volts either from the 12V wire to the drive wire, or from the drive wire to ground; whichever is easier. Try it on an injector that seems to be OK to see what a "normal" reading looks like...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:53 PM   #7
skydiver

The injector was mostly partially plugged or not cycling fully. It would only let some dribbles through when cycling manually with 9v battery I have a new one ordered from Rock Auto.
Thanks for the hints

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2017, 08:13 PM   #8
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

That's a good find, however, in your first post, you stated:

"With engine running (missing on #1) I can cycle the injector with a pigtail and the engine will smooth out."

So, I took it to mean that you could somehow 'fire' the injector and thereby smoothed out that misfire. My bad to think you were mimicking an ECM pulse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote