SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2017, 03:12 PM   #1
SGTKAINE
SGTKAINE is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default 04' Vue overheated with no warning, need help

Bought a 2004 Saturn Vue 2.2L 4 cylinder about two months ago now. I Immediately had to replace the right front caliper as it was sticking. Then on the SEVENTH DAY OF DRIVING OUR "New" car, the entire steering assembly Ripped parts of the framing off the front sub frame. no i dont mean brackets broke, the frame practically disintegrated on the top, which is why i hadn't noticed such possible severe damage when i looked it over before buying it. so thank god for ebay and 261.00 dollars and two days of ripping out the old and installing the new used one. we were back in action. I'm an electrician by trade, but im just starting out so i don't have certain luxuries like other tradesmen i know. and Mavis discount tire in NYC ruined us Ever using a mechanic shop again, that's for sure. hence why we bought this Saturn.
So i'm making a 40-45 min drive home from wiring a house in massena and made it about 15 minutes before having to stop at construction on a bridge. the second i stopped so did the car. What? so i tried turning the key over,,, Nothing. i check my gauges and the engine temp was red lined. Didn't think for a second something was wrong, driving down a highway on cruise at 60 with absolutely no issues until i had to stop. so i somehow manage to get it started again after sitting for a sec, just long enough to move my Saturn to the side so i wasn't blocking traffic on a one-way bridge due to construction... painting.
So now i'm stranded more then 30 mins from home with nothing but triple A, which took TWO HOURS to show up from a town 15 mins away, but that's further ahead. while sitting in the emergency lane, i managed to pull together 5 half full bottles of water in my car and immediately dumped it all in my coolant reservoir, not thinking that it hasn't been ten minutes since the initial stall and two of those bottles were in my cooler i'd brought with me that day. so i tried to turn it over, sounded crazy, sputtered, sounded like it Wanted to start but something wasn't allowing it too. so i hop out fast and go back to the hood to hear this shrill high pitched whistling sound and water spraying the highway from the fat coolant hose on the bottom of the radiator. at first i'd thought i'd cracked the damn radiator, but after the flooding stopped, i realized it was from a terribly rusted hose clamp that i peeled off With My Fingers. and wouldn't you know it, the hose clamps i had with me were too big to clamp the hose. so then an hour later AAA finally shows up, well, the Second driver that was dispatched according to AAA's auto-texts.
so we get it home, roll it off the trailer into the yard so the driver didn't have to block the road to unload me. he pulls away, i grab the hose and fill the reservoir again, The Car Starts, i pull it forward and backwards a few times, to test it and to park it in the driveway at my apartment building. okay, i feel a little confident now. until i try it again after shutting it off. won't start. it Forever will not start. it sounds like it wants too but something is stopping it. i know theirs an excessive amount of water in my oil bc my dipstick looks like a creamy light melted chocolate. much further and it'd be transparent too. So i'd had to fix some vehicles before and i have Lots of tools and friends to help. but i want someone who knows Saturn engines. expertise. I'm gathering I've either toasted Minimum the head gasket, easy fix, but if i cracked the head that's another issue, and upon looking underneath Repeatedly for a week, theirs no pooling anywhere under this suv, i put cardboard everywhere. my buddy laid under the left front side, and the bottom caste aluminum piece there that seals to the bottom of the engine, i watched him run his hand along that seam and liquid just rolled down his arm freely to a point.
Please, anyone that can point me in the right direction, or at least tell me i have the right of it i'd Greatly appreciate it. I figure at this point my only option is to drain the oil pan and start pulling the head off until i find something terribly wrong. but i feel like i shouldn't drain the pan until After i've pulled the head... Anyone?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SGTKAINE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SGTKAINE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SGTKAINE is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 04' Vue overheated with no warning, need help

If coolant got past the cylinder head gasket, coolant is in one or more cylinders. Pull spark plugs for examination. A blown head gasket is only one of a few problems. If you see coolant droplets on any spark plug, the head gasket is blown. A blown head gasket will create steam out the exhaust pipe. If you have or can borrow (from AutoZone) a compression gauge, use it to see which cylinder(s) are low.

If you overheated the engine and didn't notice coolant temps rising before the engine died, damage may have occurred. You won't know the extent of damage until making some preliminary assessments.

When your friend had coolant running down his arm while feeling around under engine, did he pinpoint where it came from? Water pump side where the drive belt is or somewhere else on the engine block?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:42 AM   #3
SGTKAINE

2004 VUE 2.2L

serpentine belt/timing chain side. but on the lower unit. me and a friend pulled quite a few things but do to it Not stopping raining in over 24 hours now i havent been able to pull the rods so i can see my head gasket. the top caste aluminum piece we pulled Looks like someone has already replaced these gaskets. but theres Crud Everywhere, on top of the oil/coolant mixture. unfortunately the only two main auto places we have are napa and advanced. but the spark plugs Smelled like fuel. granted, looking with a light into the holes in the head, theres plenty of Gunk sittin around everywhere you look down in. i was hoping to not have to pull the rods to get to the head because, well, one ive never broke down an engine before, and two, i've made a homemade tarp canopy by pushing the vehicle close to a fence and nailing and bungeeing the tarp down around the hood. but it's looking so back in there that i'm more For pulling the motor and taking a wire brush and pb blaster to every nook and corner. should be fairly clean inside here, and its just not

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SGTKAINE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #4
SGTKAINE

2004 VUE 2.2L

Update, virtually All the rubber was gone off the head gasket. coolant/oil mixture Everywhere. took the head off, cleaned it pretty thoroughly with what i had. thing looks almost new compared to before. discovered i must have broke a timing chain tensioner guide. so now i gotta wait for that to come in.

My question is, why are all four of my cylinders in the bottom of each base. all same level, ect. is this because i've had it apart for so long and its settled or something.. i don't know, just seems off to me. any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!