SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
macbox
macbox is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1998 SW2
Default The 98 SW2 is Totaled

A week a go I was waiting to make a left turn and I get smashed into. The 98 SW2 that I rebuilt the engine in is totaled, the frame is bent, the passenger rear window is shattered, and the trunk area is push up by the impact. The insurance adjuster is stopping by on Tuesday afternoon.

As of now I'm seeing a chiropractor for the whiplash and insurance is taking care of it. The rental I have is a Hyundai Elantra, and while it drives nice, the ergonomics are not well thought out since I have to reach forward to the console to adjust heat and fan speed.
That said, I've already acquired a 97 SC2 that will serve for the time being, which I'll put in a separate thread since it needs a little work.

#4, 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#5, 1998 SW2m, rebuilt at 126K, Totaled at 205K miles.
#6 1997 SC2a, 179K, Needs a new head.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: The 98 SW2 is Totaled

Buy the wreck from the ins co and save that engine and trans. Many good parts for a DIY salvage event.

Being hit is never much fun and the beating you take from the accident can last a long time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
macbox

1995 SC2
1998 SW2

I'm planning on doing a buyback from the insco. It's not worth it to me to let them have the car, not only to save the engine and trans, but also the subframe that's been POR-15'd, dogbones with prothane inserts, AMR radiator, and snow tires.

It had it's problems, but it drove great.

#4, 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
cgg17
cgg17 is on a distinguished road

I would take off every remaining decent piece of plastic, and completely gut the whole car down to the frame. Hang the plastics and interior parts up somewhere, and save it for future projects. Whatever isnt broken is worth keeping IMO. If any of ours got totaled thats what we would do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:18 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

No way would I let that out of my sight before it looked like the Thanksgiving turkey on Sunday afternoon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2017, 10:39 PM   #6
macbox

1995 SC2
1998 SW2

I already have a wall full of parts in the downstairs of the house. The 95 SC2 is not yet back together, and there are parts in the downstairs, parts in my bedroom, and the storeroom, in addition to the garage.

I need to save the rear wiper motor and washer nozzle, but I don't have room for many more body parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2017, 10:42 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I bet there are other inhabitants of the area that would be more than willing to take them off your hands.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2017, 10:47 PM   #8
macbox

1995 SC2
1998 SW2

Probably, and I'm hoping so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

I hate other drivers, glad you are OK, though.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #10
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

I thought about doing that when my 99 SL2 was wrecked and totaled last fall. But I knew given the age these cars are approaching and being in the rust belt I would most likely never own another one especially now that my big fine body has gotten even bigger and finer along with stiffer from age. It's very hard to twist myself into and out of one of the little plastic fantastics. Though I still love them. But now having lived for quite a while driving mid sized SUVs (first Saturn Vue, Infiniti QX4 and now the Toyota Highlander) they are just ultimately far more comfy and easier on me plus quite a bit more useful. Though I still have very fond memories of that little 99 dragging me in to O'Hare Airport every day (65 miles each way) and through all hours of night in all kinds of the nastiest weather the midwest can throw at you. Same goes for when I was working out of MSP Airport and week in and week out that little guy took me back and forth. It died while in use by youngest daughter getting rear ended by Jeep Grand Cherokee. If I lived somewhere rust was not an issue I would have definitely bought the car back and salvaged it.

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote