SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Default message to Charlie

I have been having persistent problems logging into this site. I was contacted by your "webmaster" and replied, but have heard nothing back. I have also tried PMing you twice, but PM wouldn't send. I'm going to need help resolving this, via my private email will probably work best.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Default Re: message to Charlie

I have had no replies, but the problem has magically disappeared; gone for the last couple of days.

However, there may now be a new wrinkle: I received an email to my private account from "pharma@SaturnFans.com", the subject being "Problem with 1999 Saturn" (or close to that). I haven't opened it. Does this site provide email service, so that "pharma" may just be a legitimate user trying to contact me without using the forums or PM?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The from Pharma ... sounds highly suspicious. Depending on your operating system and browser I would poke that with a long stick a couple of times and see if it hisses at you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
I was contacted by your "webmaster" and replied, but have heard nothing back.
Charlie doesn't have, AFAIK, a 'webmaster.' I've always read that he does everything himself

There is no user named "pharma" on saturnfans

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yep, Charlie is the entire show. Webmaster sounds like a phishing expedition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #6
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

I received a PM recently from someone trying to sell OBD II scanners. The only emails I ever get from Saturnfans are PM notifications and a happy birthday greeting. I don't think your email address is shared by this site with anyone.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
298k 10/17

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV22 View Post
I received a PM recently from someone trying to sell OBD II scanners. The only emails I ever get from Saturnfans are PM notifications and a happy birthday greeting. I don't think your email address is shared by this site with anyone.
No, it is not shared with anyone. If you answer a e-mail from a user via e-mail then your address is in their address book. These address books get harvested by various attacks and then you end up on some spam list.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2017, 09:37 PM   #8
billr
Master Member

I had used up my allowed 5 login tries, and then got this email from the "webmaster":

Subject: Failed Login Notification on SaturnFans.com Forum

"Dear billr,

Someone has tried to log into your account on SaturnFans.com Forums with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 76.254.50.172

All the best,
SaturnFans.com Forums"

Do you see why I think it is legit, and both opened and replied to it?

I still think this is a problem that Charlie should be aware of. Something is going on more devious than just casual spam.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2017, 12:13 AM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

They always look legit, that is why it works. The only way to actually validate an e-mail is either by the DKIM signature which decent e-mail programs display clearly or to inspect the complete e-mail header.

What you can do now is verify the the ip address in the body of the e-mail you have there is YOUR ip address or the address of your service provider.

Odds are that the e-mail is an auto responder to an account lock due to repeated attempts with the incorrect password.

whois results
AT&T Internet Services SBCIS-SBIS-6BLK (NET-76-192-0-0-1) 76.192.0.0 - 76.255.255.255
se7.pltnca09072007-1139 SBC-76-254-48-0-21-0709074004 (NET-76-254-48-0-1) 76.254.48.0 - 76.254.55.255

If you are using AT&T or your local provider is then it matches.

Last edited by OldNuc; 11-14-2017 at 12:22 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #10
billr
Master Member

Alas, my login problem is back. I lack the skills to resolve the problem alone from my end, so will just bear with it for a while.

PS to "TX...": I received your PM, but was unable to send a reply. It part of the same problem, I think. I'll try to reply to you again...

Nope, it didn't go either.

Last edited by billr; 11-14-2017 at 11:36 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2017, 12:06 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

When the system reports that the PW is invalid you can then select lost password and enter your registered e-mail address and the system will send a 1 time use password so you can reset your password. This usually fixes this issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #12
billr
Master Member

I don't think a new password would help any. The system isn't seeing what I enter as the same each time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Your password is stored as an encrypted chunk of code. If it gets corrupted then it doesn't work any more. The usual fix for this is a password reset. As this website recently went down I suspect that that event may be the cause of your problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #14
billr
Master Member

My point is that the password does work, but not always on the first try. Usually I can get in after two or three tries, but that one time even five wasn't enough.

This discussion probably doesn't belong here in the "tech" forum, should we close this thread?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2017, 04:22 PM   #15
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

Are you accessing via a smartphone, or keyboard, and is it always the same keyboard? Maybe it has a bad key, OR some food stuff corrupting its movement?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:50 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
My point is that the password does work, but not always on the first try. Usually I can get in after two or three tries, but that one time even five wasn't enough.

This discussion probably doesn't belong here in the "tech" forum, should we close this thread?
"We" can not close or lock anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #17
billr
Master Member

It is always the same keyboard, on a laptop. However, the same password/keys work fine on other (non SaturnFans) forums.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #18
00_SL1
00_SL1 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

Quote:
It is always the same keyboard, on a laptop. However, the same password/keys work fine on other (non SaturnFans) forums.
What web browser are you using? Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari ... ?

If you open your preferred browser in Incognito mode (InPrivate Browsing for IE, and New private window for Firefox) and login to Saturnfans.com, do you experience the same problem then?

01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 00_SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 00_SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
00_SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:50 PM   #19
billr
Master Member

Using Win8, and it happens using both Firefox and Chrome. I think it is also happening on another computer running Win10.

"We" can certainly effectively close/lock a thread by simply posting no more replies. That's my question: is it OK to continue with this subject here, or should I be posting elsewhere?

Computer GUIs are not my forte, I will have to have step-by-step instructions to try most things. Frankly, I think I will have little/no success unless somebody from the other end (SatunFans) is willing to dig into what is randomly registering wrong when I enter my password.

There is more to this story, but it may lead us into the weeds if I get into that. Should I do so anyway?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!