SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2017, 05:30 PM   #1
chip707
chip707 is on a distinguished road

Default Dashboard lifting fix?

I own a 2002 Saturn SL2. My OCD of how the dashboard is lifting away from the speed odometer. Is there anyway to fix this on the dashboard? It seems like it's not flush and I wish it was to give it a sleek and clean look.
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chip707's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chip707 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chip707 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2017, 06:02 PM   #2
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Dashboard lifting fix?

Glad I'm not the only one bothered by this.
I took the dash cover off my SC to do some other work and reinstalled it very carefully. This cut the gap by 2/3s, but still left 1/3 to annoy me.

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Broken tabs? Loss of the metal inserts that hold the tabs? Is it heat warped? The fix depends on what is causing it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

The same has happened on my son's 2002 SL2. It's just bad design and nickle & diming. The tab on the dash cowl is supposed to be held in place in the indents on the soft padded dash top. That's the theory. The reality it is doens't work as the soft dash top loses shape slightly over the years and there is absolutely that will grip the two together. The only fix I can think of is devising some sort of self tapper from the cowl to the dash top. Check most other dash tops and they use fasteners. I have a Suburban and it uses hex screws. my other son has a 2003 L300 and it uses philips screws. The S series uses fresh air!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #5
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

Is the dash really redone with a metallic flake paint, or are those speckles just because of the camera flash?
It would look great if it were the entire dash.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:27 PM   #6
chip707

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Is the dash really redone with a metallic flake paint, or are those speckles just because of the camera flash?
It would look great if it were the entire dash.
Yeah it has sparkle, to match the speed odometer. I had the some guy paint it for 100 bucks. I seen some YouTube guy do it and I like the look. The speed odometer is from an ls and it goes nice with the look.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help chip707 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2017, 10:31 PM   #7
chip707

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Broken tabs? Loss of the metal inserts that hold the tabs? Is it heat warped? The fix depends on what is causing it.
I don't remember it having metal tabs. Is there suppose to be metal tabs? Im not the original owner I pick up this car all beat up and I like my things as nice as can be. So I've been polishing her up. The dash board sucks, I order a rubber strip piece to put in between the window and dashboard hopefully to bring that gal closer. But if there metal tabs that I'm missing does anyone know the model or item number for it so I can put it back. Cuz it just looks tacky just with that gab especially with that nice bezel painted

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2017, 11:02 PM   #8
chip707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybury View Post
Glad I'm not the only one bothered by this.
I took the dash cover off my SC to do some other work and reinstalled it very carefully. This cut the gap by 2/3s, but still left 1/3 to annoy me.
I'm looking at other people post some are saying there dispose to be some kind of glue adhesive that went on the tabs and to get it back that way you have to glue it.... not sure if that's the case

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2017, 11:40 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The plastic tabs on the cover seat into slots that have a metal insert which grabs the tabs. These tend to pull out with the tab and end up in the trash. look at the tabs-slots on the flat right hand side. If you see the inserts then it is off to the P&P to collect replacements.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #10
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip707 View Post
Yeah it has sparkle, to match the speed odometer. I had the some guy paint it for 100 bucks. I seen some YouTube guy do it and I like the look. The speed odometer is from an ls and it goes nice with the look.
I'd like to see a photo of it zoomed out if you don't mind.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #11
chip707

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
I'd like to see a photo of it zoomed out if you don't mind.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #12
chip707

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The plastic tabs on the cover seat into slots that have a metal insert which grabs the tabs. These tend to pull out with the tab and end up in the trash. look at the tabs-slots on the flat right hand side. If you see the inserts then it is off to the P&P to collect replacements.
The flat hand side is you talk about is where the screws are at?or you talking about underneath the dash that connects to the bezel that should have the slots. I'm going to take picture of underneath my dash and bezel . I'm also intrigue to see what these clips look like

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #13
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Here is the drawing from the FSM showing the clip locations.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Upper Dash.JPG (156.6 KB, 40 views)

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The part you are looking for is the one with the numbers 2 and 5 next to it. You want the single part #5 and you should have 7 of them across the top of the dash. There are matching plastic tabs on the dash cover, usually several are snapped off. The part number for the #5 is 21035019. If the tabs are snapped off then this is the repair part and usually you have to remove the #5 to use these, 21040288. This is a possible source, https://www.partsvoice.com/

Drawing also covers the 02 models.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ip-clip-5.jpg (138.8 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2017, 04:03 PM   #15
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

mine is like this also. all my tabs are perfect. it's just heat warped a little... not much you can do with it. the sides next to the winshield pillar molding were lifting also, but those areas I was able to re-glue them back down. they look better.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #16
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

Say chip707, ... I don't know where you are in the USA, but OldNuc's part numbers on that website shows 15 places have anywhere from 1 to 10 of them.

Actually, they don't have the original ...19 part number, just the ...288 repair part ONLY.

https://www.partsvoice.com/partsearch

If all else fails, maybe try gluing a set of velcro patches there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:49 AM   #17
chip707

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...60ECDE6BFD.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2017, 12:54 AM   #18
chip707

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2017, 12:57 AM   #19
chip707

I took off the dash board noticed nothing was missing all clips seem to be present. Don't know if the part is warp or that's just how it is... you can see the picture where it has the groove for the tab, but it seems like there should be something there. Maybe I'm missing something I don't have a clue since I never seen what it's supposed to look like .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

PHOTOBUCKET will NOT allow 3rd party hosting of pictures without $$$. No one can see what you have. Use imgur.com for the free hosting.

All of the band-aids to bypass the PHOTOBUCKET money grab fail routinely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!