SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #1
Cherokee_Indian
Cherokee_Indian is on a distinguished road

Default Windshield Fluid

Hello,

I recently bought a 2007 Aura XR. The manual says use Optikleen Windshield Washer fluid.

I live in Georgia and we don't get freezing temperature in winter. Summer will go up to 100 to 105 degrees.

Is it better to use Optikleen brand only?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cherokee_Indian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cherokee_Indian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cherokee_Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Windshield Fluid

Use what is locally available. Local auto parts store, Walmart and so on.
You don't need a real low freeze point washer fluid but you want something that will wash the grime and bugs from the windshield and not leave water stains.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:27 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Windshield Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee_Indian View Post
Hello,

I recently bought a 2007 Aura XR. The manual says use Optikleen Windshield Washer fluid.

I live in Georgia and we don't get freezing temperature in winter. Summer will go up to 100 to 105 degrees.

Is it better to use Optikleen brand only?

Thanks!
The Optikleen Windshield Washer Fluid is GM's "house" brand (apparently through AC Delco). All autobile manufacturers have various companies which they contract with to supply their fluids; engine oils, ATF, power steering fluid, brake fluid, antifreeze, and a variety of other related products. Saturn would recommend Optikleen in its owner's handbook because it's related to GM. Use any decent brand name product which is recommended for your car relative to those areas and you should be fine. There would be two exceptions relative to brand name products for automotive fluids: brake fluid and windshield washer fluid. Any brake fluid with the appropriate DOT rating is useable no matter what label is on the bottle. Windshield washer fluid is basically a universal product with a slight bit of variation as to cleaning strength so that the brand label is, IMO, of little importance.

I agree with you, Cherokee_Indian, that you definitely don't need to have an antifreeze type of windshield washer fluid. I don't use that either. I simply use the premixed inexpensive stuff from Walmart.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 11-06-2017 at 12:36 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote