SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #1
SIRPAULGERMAN
SIRPAULGERMAN is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2001 SL1
Default 2007 Saturn Ion 2, good deal ?

I am going to see this one tomorrow, what do you guys think ?

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/4161949?ad_cid=5

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SIRPAULGERMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SIRPAULGERMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SIRPAULGERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2
Default Re: 2007 Saturn Ion 2, good deal ?

It all comes down to what you think and what you are looking for (your objectives)

It also depends on the price of similar cars in your immediate area (other alternatives)

Having just covered my butt, some questions come to mind:
  • Are you aware of the difference between an Ion 2 and an Ion 3? What jumped out at me immediately were the manual windows and the simpler seat covers. I also doubt that this car has power mirrors or a really cool map light (in addition to the dome light). I did not see a sunroof either....
    If these things are important to you, look really hard at why you want THIS car. If you don't care about contorting your body in the middle of the summer to open the rear passenger window to let some more air in (while you are driving at 65 on the freeway), don't let me discourage you.
  • What is special, unique or distinctive about 62k miles compared to 100k miles, in your mind? If the mileage is a big deal for you, and I can agree that it could be fair and valid if you really think that low miles are important, then you can get this car and have relatively low mileage. If some few more miles are not that important, you could probably save lots of money upfront by purchasing a higher mileage vehicle.
  • Is an extinct car important to you? It was to me.

In my case, 4 months ago, I also ran across a 2007 Saturn Ion. Mine (which I did purchase) had 148k miles, was also green, AND had the 2.4L engine (manual transmission). It also had a trailer hitch which is something that was important to me. I spent about
  • $1,300 purchase price (ok, $1,493 including taxes and plate)
  • $500 in needed repairs (accelerator pedal, rear coil spring, cracked body panel, and both rear seat release latches
  • $500 in cosmetic repairs (it had been owned by a smoker and there were burns in the upholstery and a pot of coffee had been spilled in the back seat)

By the time you purchase, pay for plates and registration, you will be close to $4,000 out-the-door, or roughly 2x what I paid in Michigan.

It is all about your priorities. I love working on cars and I count that time as my mental health therapy. That is me.

You are you. Decide what is important to you and don't let others dissuade you from your path.

Peter in Lansing MI

current cars:
94 SW2 (White, automatic)
99 SL2 (Silver Plum, manual)
99 SL2 (Dark Blue, manual)
04 Ion 3 (Berry Red, 2.0L automatic)
07 Ion 3 (Cypress Green, 2.4L, manual)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
SIRPAULGERMAN

2002 SL2
2001 SL1

I went to see the car, It seem fine, they want $43000 with all the taxes included, does the ion 2007 has any recall ? also if it does does a Chevy dealership will take care ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SIRPAULGERMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2017, 10:08 PM   #4
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2

only one or there is probably the electric power steering assist. it is a simple fix and most any Chevy dealership should be able to do it since they get a good payout for 20 minutes work.

be really sure you don't want power windows is my best advice...

Peter in Lansing MI

current cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2017, 10:13 PM   #5
hudypete1

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2

ok, I do have one more piece of advice.

if you aren't a mechanic with a lift and equipment, find a local shop that will go through it with a fine-toothed comb. my for shop here charged me $100 to do a pretty though check if a potential car and found stuff I wouldn't have, and most were asking the lines of, "this piece WILL give it in the next year..."

because of that knowledge, I factored the estimated repair costs into my internalized purchase price to get a better idea of what that car really was going to cost me. I figured that it was better to spend $100 and be able to walk away from $1,000 repair bills. not all car problems pop up as check engine light codes.

Peter in Lansing MI

current cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2017, 10:37 AM   #6
SIRPAULGERMAN

2002 SL2
2001 SL1

They took my offer for $4250, only 62000 miles, I did a carfax and the car is clean, no accidents, never went to the dealership for any repairs, just regular oil changes, 1 owner only.

Is a manual windows, manual transmission.
What is the fix for the electric power steering assist ?

Since it has more than 60000 miles, i am going to put an order from Rockauto, what should i get ?

Belt Drive : Belt
Cabin Air Filter
Spark Plug
Air Filter
transmission fluid change

thanks for your time

anything else ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #7
BobWolf
BobWolf will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRPAULGERMAN View Post
They took my offer for $4250, only 62000 miles, I did a carfax and the car is clean, no accidents, never went to the dealership for any repairs, just regular oil changes, 1 owner only.

Is a manual windows, manual transmission.
What is the fix for the electric power steering assist ?

Since it has more than 60000 miles, i am going to put an order from Rockauto, what should i get ?

Belt Drive : Belt
Cabin Air Filter
Spark Plug
Air Filter
transmission fluid change

thanks for your time

anything else ?
GM DEALER RECALL.
As long as there are no other needed repairs you don't pay a dime.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
Benjamin Franklin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobWolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:50 AM   #8
hudypete1

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2

Regarding RockAuto...

I have seen many posts here in SaturnFans about transmission fluid change. From what I recall, don't flush or otherwise force the fluid out, just let drain naturally and then refill (or something along those lines).

The SwayBar bushings tend to go out on the Ions and the car starts clunking. I believe that the recommendation is for Moog polyurethane (double check please).

Tie rods tend to go bad naturally, I don't know if you need them but that would be something I would look into.

Wipers.
Oil filter. sometimes there are good deals on closeouts
Depending on the brakes, it might be time.

Congrats on the car! I love mine and the green is distinctive.

Peter in Lansing MI

current cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #9
SIRPAULGERMAN

2002 SL2
2001 SL1

Well I walked away from the car, I went to pick up the car and I was testing the car and the engine light came up, this is the second time, They told me they are going to fix it the 1st I tested the car, so I told them the deal was off. I really wanted the car.
I am still looking for a car, what do you guys think about a 2003 Oldsmobile with only 68000 miles ?

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/4202353?ad_cid=27

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
hudypete1

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2

I like extinct cars, but I guess oldsmobiles are dead too.

Peter in Lansing MI

current cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #11
WrightMan
WrightMan is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan

These are decent cars but they tend to have wheel bearing issues. My dad had a Grand Am he bought new and almost every 2 years the front wheel bearings were getting worked on. This is basically the same car so if those would not be an issue for you then go for it. If you are concerned about check engine lights even if the light is not lit you can scan it and check for a 1000 code. When you reset the computer this code shows up until the ECU completes the checks on everything. If that code is there it could mean they recently changed the battery or cleared the code but it is still not passing.

2004 Saturn Ion 3 Black Trim Headlights, Bluetooth Fogs, and Smoked Taillights
2004 Crown Vic Mostly Modified
2000 F150 Off-Road Mostly Stock
2013 Escape 2.0T AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WrightMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WrightMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WrightMan is offline   Reply With Quote