SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2017, 12:32 PM   #1
JMo9185
JMo9185 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default 06 In need of A LOT of help

I haven on 06 ION 2 Quad Coupe man. trans. in rough shape. Original engine threw a rod a year ago and was replaced with an engine w/ 90k on it. Check engine light has been on for years, and withe the new engine, I've put in about $5k just trying to get it off, and it won't pass emissions w/ it on.
Prior to engine replacement, it would stall out as I came to a stop w/ the clutch in (was replaced when engine was.) When I take it to Auto Zone, it's throwing multiple codes (like ten.)
It still sounds rough, especially when climbing, smells like a lawnmower, and seems to be leaking/eating oil.

On a more cosmetic side, both side mirrors were replaced after being knocked very loose, but don't sit totally flush. Don't know if there's anyway to fix the large dent in my bumper. Also, the weather stripping on the outside at the bottom of the windows buckled and is cracking and thanks to my kid, chipping.

And my headlamps are kind of foggy but seem to be ok enough to pass inspection.

Is there any hope for Little Blue, or is it time to just start putting money towards a new car fund and hope it lasts until then?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JMo9185's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JMo9185 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JMo9185 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
bigsmitty1
bigsmitty1 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: 06 In need of A LOT of help

in order to help you with your CEL (check engine light) we would need a list of the codes it is throwing,

the weather strips ive noticed they all tend to do that, best way to remedy it is to replace them. id first check your local junkyards as they are expensive to buy new from GM.

the mirror should bolt right in unless there is something between the mirror and the door frame preventing it from seating correctly.

on the bumper beings its plastic you may be able to remove the bumper and push the dent back out, not always will it work but may.

with your headlights you can buff them with a buffer, I have personally done it on my wifes and it made a major difference.

Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigsmitty1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigsmitty1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigsmitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo9185 View Post
I haven on 06 ION 2 Quad Coupe man. trans. in rough shape. Original engine threw a rod a year ago and was replaced with an engine w/ 90k on it. Check engine light has been on for years, and withe the new engine, I've put in about $5k just trying to get it off, and it won't pass emissions w/ it on.
Makes no sense to spend $5k on a $1K car. Why don't you just buy a $1,000 or $2,000 car that's already been inspected?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2

You GOTTA know the CEL codes. WIthout them, you are just dumping money in the car with no idea if you will fix it.

The decision to fix the car is all YOURS. If you want to fix it, go for it. If you don't, then don't.

I knew little about auto mechanic before I purchased my Saturns. Now, however, I have learned lots and do quite a bit of my repairs myself--including some engine things (2 head jobs for example).

To make my life easier, I purchased a $20 code reader that plugs into my car. Using Torque (app) I can read the codes as I drive. Go to the Torque app page and check out what readers would work the best. Having your own reader saves lots of time and aggrevation about figuring out what is going on..

If you think it is too much work to get a reader and check your own codes, I suggest you get a Honda and sell the saturn. I would be glad to put in a low-ball offer.

Peter in Lansing MI

current cars:
94 SW2 (White, automatic)
99 SL2 (Silver Plum, manual)
99 SL2 (Dark Blue, manual)
04 Ion 3 (Berry Red, 2.0L automatic)
07 Ion 3 (Cypress Green, 2.4L, manual)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote